We have a number of exciting things in store for the Evangelical Exegetical Commentary (EEC) series this year. Here’s a rundown of what you can expect in 2016.
The newest volume
Right before the calendar turned over to 2016, we released 1 & 2 Samuel, the final work of renowned scholar Harry A. Hoffner, Jr. An expert Hittitologist, Hoffner brings his understanding of ancient Near-Eastern cultures to the text of 1 & 2 Samuel, providing a commentary that is sure to make an impact for years to come. First and Second Samuel pick up where the book of Judges leaves off, continuing the narrative sweep of the history of Israel. They cover the life of the prophet Samuel, the rise and fall of Saul as King, and the reign of King David. Hoffner examines these books in their historical context, discusses the many characters found throughout, and considers how they anticipate a coming perfect king, Yahweh’s true Anointed One.
Here’s how Hoffner summarizes David’s historical importance:
The story of David is so important for Christians because of how it fits into God’s epoch-spanning plan, which led ultimately to the eternal reign of Jesus, the son of David. The story of David will not depict a sinless or perfect king, but one who in so many ways prefigured the sinless and perfect individual who would fulfill all the promise that was present already in David. This is what can be called the messianic message of 1–2 Samuel: a message that is rooted in a real, historical person and a sequence of real historical events.
This volume should already be available to those who have already ordered the full, 44-volume EEC set.
There are a number of volumes in the works, in both digital and print formats:
- Exodus, Esther, and Ephesians: These volumes should be available in print later this year. This second round of print volumes will be able to join James and 1, 2, & 3 John on the shelves of your library.
- Ephesians and Jude: These two volumes are now available for individual download from Logos.
- Philippians: Our editing team has just begun working on finalizing the manuscript for this volume from Mark Keown. It should be released early this year.
- Jeremiah: We’ve received this manuscript from the Academic Editors and it’s on the docket after Philippians has completed production. This volume from Walter C. Kaiser, Jr. and Tiberius Rata will complete the dual volume on Jeremiah & Lamentations.
- 1 & 2 Chronicles: We expect to receive this manuscript from the Academic Editors soon and should be released late this year.
We’re very excited to get these new volumes into your hands. We hope they’re a blessing to your research and ministry.
[UPDATE 9/19/16: An announcement from Lexham Press regarding EEC James]