Because of current events, I, like many others, have been reading Psalm 91. Verse 14 especially caught my eye:
Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him; I will protect him, because he knows my name. (ESV)
God says a righteous person knows my name.
I wanted to drill down on the phrase my name so I executed a simple phrase search in the ESV discovering 124 occurrences. On close examination of the hits, I realized sometimes the my was not referring to God.
So I refined my query by making it an “intersection” search.
Give this a try:
- Give the Search icon in the Go box (A) to open the Search panel
- Select Bible as the search type (B)
- Select All Passages from the verse range drop-down list (C)
- Select your desired Bible (with the interlinear option) from the drop-down list (D)
- Place this query in the Search box: “my name” INTERSECT <Person God> (E)
- Press the Enter key to generate the results, which in the ESV equal 124 (F)
This search locates the phrase my name only when it intersects with or is referring to God!
Change <Person God> to <Person Jesus> to find the phrase referencing Jesus in the New Testament.
For more detailed and exhaustive instructions about Searching, please check out 24/7 video training at mpseminars.com.
And don’t forget to follow faithlife.com/mpseminars, and you’ll automatically receive a FREE digital download of Dr. Grant Osborne’s commentary Ephesians Verse by Verse.