Logos Tech Tip | Jesus and Animals

In his book Living With Other Creatures, Richard Bauckham devotes an entire chapter to exploring Jesus’ relationship with animals as recorded in the gospels. Perhaps, Bauckham suggests, Jesus’ interactions with animals can provide insight into the character of the kingdom of God. Although (as Bauckham observes) this is an overlooked topic, it is of significance for those who live both in anticipation of an eschatological future and in the present in which our relationship with the community of creation is increasingly fraught.

The chapter is worth reading, and with Logos, it’s easy to dig deeper. For example, by combining a <person> search with a <sense> search, you can use Logos to quickly find every time Jesus and animals appear in the same verse in the Gospels.

Click here to see this search in Logos

You can also run it manually by setting your search to All Bible Text in Gospels in The Bible of your choice and entering <Sense animal> AND <Person Jesus> in the search field.

For related resources, we recommend:

***

Visit the Logos Help Center for more on how to get the most out of your Logos Bible Software.

Comments

1. This did not bring up any verses!
    I have Logos 8 and it came up with the search:

Search All Bible text in Gospels in American Standard Version for
    AND

-BIBLE RESULTS 0 results (0.12 sec)

Am I doing something wrong?

• Adam Shaeffer says

Hi Frederick,

I’m sorry that you’re having trouble.

When I click the link in the article it runs a search on `All Bible Text` in `Gospels` in `The Lexham English Bible` for

AND

If the link in the article isn’t opening Logos and running that search automatically, you can try running it manually.

Open a new search, set the location to `All Bible Text` in `Gospels` in `The Lexham English Bible` (or whatever Bible you prefer) and enter the search terms AND in the search field.

2. Malcolm Horlock says

My search drew a blank – ‘0 results’.

• Adam Shaeffer says

Hi Malcolm,

That’s odd. If the link in the article isn’t opening Logos and running the search automatically, you can try running it manually.

3. This did not work for me either, and I did try typing in the request manually. Seems like something is wrong.

• Adam Shaeffer says

Hi Kevin,

Sorry you’re having trouble. Can you double-check that you have the LEB downloaded? While the LEB is included in all Logos packages, it may not be downloaded to your local Library.

• It is, I even changed the request to all Bibles and that did not work either.

• Adam Shaeffer says

I think I see what’s going on. The comment field here isn’t displaying the search path correctly. Your search should look like this:

<Sense animal> AND <Person Jesus>

4. Did not work. I tried AND and got 4 hits -one for each Gospel. So I guess the search parameter is somehow not working.

• Adam Shaeffer says

Hi Frederick. I noticed earlier today that the comment field here hasn’t been displaying the search path correctly. Your search should look like this:

<Sense animal> AND <Person Jesus>

Does entering it this way impact your results?