Why You Need More Books (Even If You Think You Don’t)

It's not just about more books: it's about the connections between themIf you evaluate the value of Logos resources and the value of print books by the same standards, you’re bound to miss some of what makes Logos resources special.

To understand what you get when you add a book to your Logos library, you have to understand both how they differ from print books and how they integrate with your software’s tools.

Logos resources are more than just books

When you get new Logos resources, you get more than just texts to read. You can’t just think of Logos resources the same way as their traditional print counterparts, meant to be referred to occasionally or read from cover to cover. You also have to think of them as information and data sources.

A lot of people resist the idea of growing their library and fall into a trap of thinking, “I already have more books than I’ll ever be able to read.”

But remember—Logos resources aren’t the same as print books.

In the traditional sense, a book only provides value when you take it off the shelf and manually approach it—whether to read it from start to finish, or to look up a particular chapter or section you’re familiar with.

You can do all of that with a Logos resource; it’s easy to open a book and read it on your screen or jump to a specific section (just like you do with your print books!)—but that’s only a small part of its value. The value is found in specialized tagging and corresponding tools built around content in the Logos format.

Logos will expose content in the midst of your study—content that would’ve otherwise been left on your bookshelf. You don’t have to know what every book in your library contains: we’ll do that heavy lifting for you and present you with the most relevant information.

Here are a couple reasons why you’ll benefit from a bigger library:

• You’ll get more out of Logos 6’s tools when they have an information source to pull from. Think of your Logos library as a giant database: the larger this source, the better your tools will perform. Your searches will be more comprehensive, your guides will contain more content, and you’ll have more primary and secondary sources to draw from in your research. Even if you never spend focused time studying new resources, they’ll help you from behind the scenes, powering your favorite tools.
  • Adding new books will increase the value of the resources you already own. You might think your library is completely sufficient for your study, and maybe that’s true. Maybe you won’t ever need to read or study more books. But what if your favorite books were even more valuable? That’s the power that comes from increasing the size of your library: when you add more resources, you’ll get more out of your existing resources. By linking your resources together, you’ll get additional relevant background information and link new pieces of information that you would’ve missed before.

Here’s how it works with sermons

Let’s say you have a library filled with sermons, like the Preaching and Sermons Bundle. You can treat your library just like you would a traditional library, selecting a sermon and reading through it—and that’s fine! But if you do that, you’ll miss out on what makes sermons in the Logos format so useful.

The sermons in your library have special tagging that labels them by criteria like title, preacher, passage, and content. This tagging powers the Sermon Starter Guide found in Logos 5 and 6; your tools pull from it to expose content.

This tool allows you to effectively use a large library. You don’t have to maintain an intimate knowledge of every sermon in your library or spend hours searching for the right information: the Sermon Starter Guide will help you get at what you need to know without a time-intensive search. Whether you’re a pastor looking to see how others have approached a topic, or you’d just like to hear sermons on a specific biblical passage, you’ll quickly have all of your library’s relevant information right in front of you.

All of a sudden, the special markup and tooling found in the Logos format give you a lot more from your collection of sermons than just the ability to open and read them one by one.

In a traditional library, your works aren’t helping you when they sit on the shelf, so it makes sense to limit the size of your library to the books that you refer to regularly. That’s simply not the case with Logos libraries—they’re the equivalent, plus more.

How does this help me?

You’re getting more out of your books when they’re in the Logos format than when they’re just print resources, but what is that “something more?”

It’s where you’ll find unexpected insights. They might come from an author you’ve never heard of, a book you never expected to read, or a resource you forgot was even in your library.

When you add a book or collection to your library, you might not know how you’ll use it in the future. But you’ll only have the ability to do powerful searches and study if you own the resources.

You can often get books for just a couple dollars—when compared with the potential influence an insight or piece of wisdom can hold, the value becomes clear. You’ll be able to discover insights that will inspire you and help you impact others—even if you never read the book cover to cover.

So, what are the best ways to get more books?

If you don’t have a Logos 6 base package, that’s where you should start. Base packages are the ideal foundation for your library: you’ll get a combination of tools, datasets, and resources. If you’re looking for a specific recommendation, try Logos 6 Gold: not only will you get a great selection of books, you’ll also get all of Logos 6’s tools and media.

Get Logos 6 now!

If you already have a Logos 6 base package, consider one of these options:

Comments

1. Randy Thomas says:

When I started using logos it was good to have. After a year with Logos 4, logos 5 came out. I waited awhile, and now i have logos 5 and still paying on that. Now logos 6 as come out, you want me to spend more money again. So, you see it’s seem like a on going cycle to me in a short time. Logos 6 sounds good, but can’t afford it, still paying for logos 5, in three years I have payed over a $1000 and now you want me to spend another $500 – $1000, it seem’s to never end.

• I’ve been a Logos user since version 3, I believe. I have continued to keep current through all the upgrades. But in the past I made a complaint to Logos about “planned obsolescence.” That idea was denied with the explanation that the company was merely trying to keep pace with the times.

I understand that, and as long as technology keeps advancing, so will Logos I suppose. But I continue to wonder why updates to the operating system have to come with additional resources one may or may not want.

Nevertheless, as long as I am in ministry, preaching and teaching on a regular basis, I will continue to keep up to date. However, it IS very necessary for people on even a fairly decent income to prioritize the resources one purchases. Perhaps it would be very nice to have ALL the resources available. But, really, how many resources can one use effectively. Sometimes the cost of that one-specific-extra-special “aha” moment keeps me from having it. But there are plenty of others available in the Gold and Platinum editions. I started with Silver, and found that to be quite good, with the addition of a few choice commentary sets.

• ManilaDave says:

“But in the past I made a complaint to Logos about “planned obsolescence.” That idea was denied with the explanation that the company was merely trying to keep pace with the times.”

Does keeping up with the times not suggest taking a lead from this world’s systems and values which has over recent history been one of exploiting the world’s resources and people and has led us to the critical place we are now in? Should not we as Christians be leading the way in more sustainable and just economic practices and models?

I moved from a basic Libronix version to Logos 4 and have kept pace with upgrades up to an including Logos 6. In 2010 I invested in an iPad. In 2014 I had to upgrade to iPad Air because the original was no longer supported and could no longer handle my library iOS5. I had an iPod iOS6. It can no longer handle Logos. no one seems to know why. I have a late 2010 iMac and in 2014 had to double my RAM to 8 gigs just for Logos. I have an early 2011 MacBook Pro i7 processor and in 2014 had to double its RAM to 8 gigs just to handle Logos.
        I’m bi-vocational and face compulsory retirement in 4 years and will suffer a massive reduction in income. It is my hope that I will be back in full-time but voluntary ministry. I will not be able to afford to keep upgrading Logos or the high-end hardware to run it. I can foresee a time in which my library will be completely useless because I will have operating systems that are good enough for all my other computing needs but will be inadequate for Logos.
        I’m at the stage, with 3,250+ resources in Logos, that I only want individual books but the books I want are coming in collections. I have started rebuilding my physical books as a both as a precaution against what might become a useless Logos library and because I’m no longer going to invest in collections when I only want one or two of the books included in them. My investment in Logos is reaching the point of diminishing returns. If there are others in my situation the same might be true for Logos

• Michael says:

Depends on how you look at it. The day they came out with airbags for vehicles, tons of people were so thankful. Finally something safer! Anti-lock brakes? Awesome! Does it cost more? Yes. Do you have to get a new car in order to get them? Usually. Planned obsolescence? That seems like a very mistrusting interpretation of people who are creating AMAZING things every year. If you don’t want to pay for it, dont! Just don’t complain about the safety of your car if you’re still driving one from the 40s, but complain in the same breath about the prices of newer and much better/safer ones. Stop complaining and buy it. You’ll love it and be blessed like crazy.

2. Francis Szarejko says:

The Logos Logos Bible Software is great. Getting updates on pre-pubs and new books is helpful. But I am already tired of the relentless marketing from Logos. Almost every day I receive emails that tell me why I need to buy this or that book. Just like this email.

• I tend to agree that we are getting too much marketing and too frequently.
      Also Logos should review policy for upgrading versions without having to purchase more materials. e.g. from Logos 5 to Logos 6 but without adding more resources. For those of us outside of America, the exchange rate hits us as well.

• Ian Carmichael says:

Quite so, quite so. It’s a little bit of a heavy carnival ride. I’m happy to try to pay for value – but often the offers seem to be just a little “sharp”. Like the surprise arrival of Bonhoeffer Vol 17 – un-included in the Works package, and not priced to reward owners of those 16 volumes either.

• Lol, I see where you’re coming from, but isn’t everything like this? Except maybe Subaru….

3. It can get a little annoying at time, but it is completely understandable. Doing the work they do (not including some of the translation efforts) is not cheap. Getting a good, quality product requires a field of experts with more letters after their names than is healthy. You pay for convince, and they know a person willing to pay $250+ for their core software will be willing to pay $14 for a single text, especially if you already have a print library that you use daily (which would be me).

4. Bob Canaday says:

I have used logos since Logos 2 and currently have Logos 5 Silver. I have attended Lamp Logos about 4 times. I am 75 years old. the issue for me justifying spending the money to keep updating.

5. Bill Fiess says:

I feel the point of this blog is valid. I have learned a lot from resources in Logos that I never would have owned in a print collection. Besides, a Logos library is much cheaper than equivalent print books – and much more searchable.

6. Hello,
    After reading some of the comments, I can agree with those who feel that Logos is conducting business like the world’s model. Get more and more. It’s not good to have less. However, this said, I will have to also consider stopping after I retire in a few months.
    I’ve been a Logos user since it first came into use. I have a little over 7600 books. I am still purchasing certain books. However, I am noticing that as I look at the available books for purchase, I’m seeing less and less candidates for me to purchase. Logos is not publishing books that continue to interest me, at lease my desired topics. And then comes retirement!
    Meaning, that after I retire later this year, I will completely stop purchasing because of financial reasons.
    But then again, in having such a library, it has tremendously helped me in the ministry of teaching and preaching. I cannot say but that it is a great resource.
    I often wonder, after doing the Lord’s work, and I have to leave this planet, to whom do I leave this library? I have to find some dedicated person who loves to read. So far, I have not found anyone. This is a serious investment, at least it is for me.
    Finally, Logos is like any other company in the America and under the free-enterprise platform: making money is the bottom line. One thing is good: at least they are not yet publishing junk. . . yet.
    Blessings. . .
    Al Sosa

• Ian Carmichael says:

Yep. The legacy question is also of interest to me!
      And the less and less interesting new offers.
      I know, Logos! What about a “Liberal Theology” package, or “Contemporary Church”, or “Contemporary Theologies” – and please stop dredging-up non-classic ancient works in the Community Pricing section.