Why I Bought Another Base Package

l6-overview-bp-lineup

logos-6-goldI got Logos 6 Gold the day it came out. For me it was a no-brainer. The combination of new tools like Visual Copy, Interactive Media, and a solid set of reference works—many of which I’d already been eyeing—made it an easy decision.

At the time, I was deep into a study of Old Testament altars, and Cultural Concepts helped me make connections that I would have otherwise missed. My love for Logos 6 hasn’t waned an ounce since then. Every time I open the software I learn something new.

But last week I noticed something. Many users, especially Logos 6 owners, were buying second and third base packages. I had never considered doing this; one research library seemed to serve me just fine. I wondered, “What do these people know that I don’t?

So I did a little investigating, and it turns out that I could add some very valuable reference works to my library at a huge savings if I picked up a second base package.

baptist-bronzeI started with the Baptist track because it’s the most familiar to me. (I grew up Baptist, and my father is still a Baptist pastor in the southeastern US.) And sure enough, Logos 6 Baptist Bronze included 63 books that would be new to me.

The tradition-specific base-package tracks share many of the same reference works that powered my library, but they also included some works that I lacked, including:

Thanks to Dynamic Pricing, I could add these 63 titles to my library for just $175.66—that’s $2.76 per title! This seemed like another no-brainer to me.

reformed-bronzeThen I jumped over to the Reformed track, and found much of the same. Dynamic Pricing offers me Logos 6 Reformed Bronze (and its 26 books new to me) for less than $100. The price per title was a little higher—at $3.17—but the quality of works included was also high:

So for less than $3.25 per title, I could add nearly 100 more exceptional reference works to my Logos library. I was missing out!

If, like me, your appetite for learning seems to outrun your book budget and you’re always on the hunt for a bargain, I’d encourage you to add a second (or third) base package to your library.

Base packages are the most cost-effective way to grow your theological library, especially for those of us who have been Logos users for a long time and can—by virtue of our existing libraries—make good use of Dynamic Pricing. Base-package families enable us to augment our library with teaching from the traditions we’d like to explore further.

With introductory offers like 15% off and up to $900.00 worth of gifts available, this is the best time to buy. These offers end soon, so take advantage of them before they’re gone!

Shop for your second (or third) base package today.

Comments

1. Waaaiittt a second… you work for Logos and didn’t get the Gold package free?

2. I have been using Logos since it was on 3.5 disks. I knew when I opened and installed it that it would be the greatest bible study tool ever. Of course it wasn’t what it is today, but for the time it was good. That was 1980 something or other. Now here I am with Collectors edition which is the top of the line for you who don’t know. Now I wonder, what in the world can Logos do to beat collectors. I’m sure they dream in code every night. I would just like to take this opportunity to urge those who can afford to without taking out a second loan on your house just to take the plunge and get Collectors. You will not regret it

3. Hamilton Ramos says:

Hello, God bless you all:
    I am one of those multiple packages buyer. I am no expert and I am a theologian wanna be.

I am reading Survivor’s Guide to Theology by M. James Sawyer, it is a God sent to me. This book together with the foundational theology mobile ed courses, are allowing me to begin getting into theology a lot more deep.

I was reading about John Wesley, and I did not know he was member of the Anglican Church of England to his death.

Thanks to the Anglican Package I bought, many of the titles that inspired Wesley I have for study (William Law, Thomas Kempis, etc.).

I ordered the pre pub: Interreligious Learning and Teaching: A Christian Rationale for a Transformative Praxis.

I really like to study what other people of God had received from the Holy Spirit, and what their experiences and wisdom developed has been. To me it is very enriching.

I believe in: “Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good”. (Romans 12:9)

“…but test everything; hold fast what is good”. (I Thessalonians 5:21)

After having studied all kind of secular subjects, I promised God that I was going to study theology in Honor to Him.

Thanks to L6, and Faithlife discussions, Christian discourse themes, Logos Forums and the like, I am able to make good on my promise.

I truly extend my gratitude to all believers that are involved in the development of the program, resources, forums, etc, as I truly think you are being a blessing that allows the body of Christ be edified.

Kind regards, and God Bless.

4. William L White says:

I wish that I could afford these packages. However, I lost my job due to an accident on March 24, 2013. I will never be able to work again. I do love reading and studying the word of the Almighty and applying what I have learned to my life and teaching others. If it's in God's will, someone will help me with the purchase of the fine material. But if not, I shall just be happy with what the Almighty has blessed me with.

5. Standard Portfolio, Baptist Diamond, Reformed Gold, P&C Silver, Anglican Bronze, and Chaplains.

My monthly payment is reasonable, and many of the things in these packages were things I've been interested in for a while (such as the select works of Edwards previously mentioned).

I now have about 10,000 titles, and have spent less than a dollar per book.

6. Robert Blanchette says:

Logos reminds me of Apple with their marketing. They are always trying to convince you that what you have is no longer good enough.

I have owned Logos and now Verbum for several years. I am not in professional ministry so take my comments from the perspective of a lay person. The main problem with Logos/Verbum is the overabundance of information available. What good can a collection of 10,000 titles do for most people? You will never use most of these works and, for the vast majority of the ones you do use, you will barely scratch the surface. The software also has a steep learning curve and I am a professional IT guy. It takes hours just to learn how things work. The Verbum Practicum instruction package includes six hours of video to teach you how to use it.

Don’t get me wrong. Logos is powerful. It allows you to store and use a huge library on your computer. All that is good. But it is simply too much information for 99% of Christians out there. A single base package is more content than most people will read in their lifetime. How many collections do you need to figure out what the Bible says anyway? the Bible was written for the masses. It is God speaking to His people. It wasn’t intended to be a complicated document reserved for scholars but that’s what we are turning it into in our modern world. We can’t read a passage anymore without looking at the original language and consulting five or six commentaries to see what some theologian or other had to say about it. Some spend hours examining the various nuances of a Greek word as if their entire faith system depended on it. Somehow I don’t think that is what God intended when he gave us the gift of his Word.

As I have gotten older, studied the Bible more, and realized how short life can be, I have realized some truths. The Bible is pretty clear about the gifts of the Holy Spirit: wisdom, knowledge, understanding, counsel, piety, fortitude, and fear of the Lord. These gifts are what we really need when studying the Bible and they can’t be purchased. No amount of study will help you obtain them. They are gifts from God. I find myself using Logos less and less as time goes on. Instead I read my Bible every day, praying for God to grant me wisdom and understanding. I read a single book about theology or other spiritual matters at a time. I read it from cover to cover, absorbing what it has to offer and contemplating it. This has proved to be far more valuable in my life than the shotgun approach offered by Logos. I have a huge collection also. A huge collection that I have never and will never read because I am a puny human and can’t possible absorb that much information in my lifetime.

None of the twelve apostles went to college. None of them had advanced language skills. None of them even had a Bible. They did a pretty good job of spreading the faith anyway. That’s something we should keep in mind when we get too wrapped up in the academic study of Christianity instead of the practice of it.

I am not knocking Logos. I have invested over $1300 in Logos software. It is an awesome tool and there is nothing else like it…if you need a tool of its magnitude. Most of us don’t and would probably be better served by spending more time reading the Bible, praying about it, and letting God speak to us.

• Bruce Cullom says:

** Ken Barker has 10,000 titles. Do you realize the magnitude of that collection? if you read one title per week it would take you 192 years to read everything in your collection. 192 years! **
      _______________

Hi Robert,

Here’s the thing … you don’t have to “read” all of the Logos resources to greatly benefit from them.

For example: I have almost all of Don Carson’s volumes on Logos. I created a Don Carson Collection. When I want to know what Dr. Carson has to say on (say) “Election,” I can simply search that particular Collection and avoid getting search hits on hundreds of other books/volumes in my library (6 Gold with about 2,000 additional resources).

I have also created unique Collections for John Frame, John Piper, John MacArthur, Greg Beale, R.C. Sproul, and others. So I have what they have to say (if anything) on any Biblical topic right at my fingertips.

Furthermore, I have created a unique Collection entitled: Apologetics — that (obviously) contains all Logos resources pertaining to that subject — which I can search.

you get the idea.

These are but a few ways a multitude of resources can benefit Logos users without having to “read” all of them.

7. Bruce Cullom says:

** None of the twelve apostles went to college. None of them had advanced language skills. None of them even had a Bible. **
    ______________

Robert,

All of that is certainly true. But Scripture gives us an additional important insight:

“Now as they [the Pharisees] observed the confidence of Peter and John [in their preaching] and understood that they were uneducated and untrained men, they were amazed [thaumazo: to marvel], and began to recognize them as having been with Jesus.” Acts 4:13.

Having been taught directly by Jesus for over three years would probably qualify one for at least an M.Div.

For the rest of us, well, we have Logos.

• Robert Blanchette says:

Bruce,

That’s a great point. But Jesus also told them not to rely on their own wisdom and that he would put the words in their mouths when they needed them. The advocate would provide them with the knowledge that they needed. When Peter spoke at Pentecost he was filled with the Spirit. We don’t trust in the Holy Spirit much today. We trust in worldly wisdom that we can obtain from books….or software.

I’m not bashing Logos. I have it and use it. It’s a powerful tool but it is easy to become obsessed with continually expanding your library. I must have this book or that book or that collection or I won’t be able to understand the Bible! Continually adding resources to your library is unnecessary if you haven’t even tapped the potential of the library you already own.

No one can argue that the prices for additional resources are incredibly cheap considering the amount of content. My question is how much does one person need? Do you actually use it? Is it better to study one resource in depth rather than skimming the surface of thousands? I suspect the answers to those questions are different for everyone. Again, I am not in professional ministry developing sermons/homilies for a congregation ever week. If I were, my answers might change.

That being said I expect I will someday buy the Verbum 6 upgrade and expand my library. I am merely human and my faith is not strong enough to trust in God to grant me wisdom when I need it.

• Bruce Cullom says:

Hi Robert,

You know, I think it may all come down to the way each particular person studies.

I am a layman myself. I taught Sunday School for seven years but more recently I have felt a leading to become a discipler and teach (evening) classes for those who want to gain a deeper understanding of Scripture than is possible in a Sunday School setting.

I begin by praying for guidance, then reading the text multiple times while writing down thoughts, questions, particular words of interest, repeated words and phrases, and applications. These (I think) are impressed upon me by the ministry of the Holy Spirit.

Next, I look to see if there are any parallel passages that might shed light/clarity upon the text at hand.

I then look up particular words of interest (the Greek definitions) — often verbs — to see if they hold the meaning (or range of meaning) we read into them in English. Sometimes there are important subtleties and shades of meaning not associated with the English word. When that occurs, I look further into how that particular Greek word is used in other places by the same author in a similar context.

(An example would be the word: ‘Master,’ in 2nd. Peter 2:1 (…denying even the Master who bought them). Many people read a Redemptive quality onto the English word but the word Peter employs is ‘despotace’ and carries the connotation of “Sovereign Owner” (such as a master who bought a slave in the market place) and is rarely associated with a Master as Redeemer (1 time, and never by Peter). Knowing this leads me to understand that when Peter uses the word “bought” (agorazo ) he is not speaking of Redemption. This is important because many cite this particular passage to argue that a Regenerate person can lose their salvation.)

As I am doing all of this, I am constantly asking my self; “what does the text say; how would the original recipients have taken it in their time; and how does it apply today?

Next I look to see what are the top three to five Commentaries on the text at hand and open them in tabs and link them to the Bible I am using. I generally gain much insight from reading these Bible scholars. Quite often, their comments lead me to study/investigate further in a particular area.

Next, I do collection searches to see what particular scholars may have written regarding the text (not necessarily verse-by-verse Commentaries per se). One example of this would be the great resource “Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament” by Greg Beale and Don Carson.

All the while, I am thinking of probing/relevant questions to ask and modern-day applications to associate the text with situations my listeners might face.

During this whole process of preparation, I may look at fifty resources (albeit only a few sentences in some). And which resources I look at change as the text moves along. When I complete this process, I feel humbly confident to present the text accurately (or in some cases, present the various views on a difficult passage), and able to answer most questions participants may pose.

It is my thinking that the Holy Spirit is not absent from all of this, but that He is present and an essential and integral part of it — guiding/nudging my thoughts in the direction He would like for me to pursue.

I view a comprehensive Logos library as helping me honor Paul’s command to Timothy: “Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that need not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” 2 Tim. 2:15 ~ KJV.