Logos 6: Find New Testament Quotes from Old Testament Prophets

Today’s post is from Morris Proctor, certified and authorized trainer for Logos Bible Software. Morris, who has trained thousands of Logos users at his two-day Camp Logos seminars, provides many training materials.

New Testament writers frequently quote Old Testament prophets without explicitly referencing them by name. “Who said that?” may, therefore, be a common question we ask in our Bible study. You’ll be happy to know that Logos tags speakers throughout Scripture so we can readily identify them as well as locate other verses in which they were quoted! Let’s take a look at a specific example:

• Open a Bible such as the LEB to Acts 7:48–49, which is part of Stephen’s sermon (A)
  • Notice the phrase “just as the prophet says” in verse 48 followed by the words of a prophet in verse 49 (B)
  • At the beginning of verse 49, rest the cursor on the megaphone icon (C), which identifies Isaiah as the quoted prophet (if the icon is not present, click the visual filters icon—three circles—on the Bible’s toolbar and select speaker labels) (D)

morris-proctor-find-new-testament-quotes-1

Logos has identified and tagged the speakers in conversation or being quoted in both the Old and New Testaments. You can see who’s speaking with the megaphone icon.

But now let’s say we want to locate all the places Isaiah is quoted in the New Testament:

• Right click on any word in verse 49 (E)
  • Click the arrow icon next to Stephen the speaker on the context menu (F)
  • Notice both Stephen and Isaiah are listed as speakers, because Stephen is quoting Isaiah
  • Select Isaiah (G)
  • Select Search this resource (H)

morris-proctor-find-new-testament-quotes-3

• Select New Testament from the drop-down list on the search panel (I)
  • In the search results, see all the places in the New Testament where Isaiah the prophet is quoted (J)

morris-proctor-find-new-testament-quotes-4

Train your eyes to spot the megaphone icons, then use a right mouse search to find every time a specific person spoke in the Bible.

You can learn more about Logos 6’s features in the Logos 6: What’s New? Manual and the Logos 6: What’s New? Video, now available on Pre-Pub.

Also be sure to register for an upcoming Camp Logos live training seminar, including the January events in Tampa and Houston.

Comments

1. Kirke Holmes says:

Go back to using the ESV in your examples. I like it better than Logos’ own creation.

2. Anonymous says:

There are a lot of comments on your website about the postage costs of sending the printed manual, and some users don't understand why the charge is so high, and feel that Logos should be able to negotiate a deal with the entrepreneur who produces the manual. Do you have any helpful comments? Why isn't the printed manual an integral part of the Logos 6 package?

3. tks it was very helpful to my studies

4. Regarding this article on “New Testament Quotes from Old Testament Prophets:
    by Morris Proctor, I don’t see a megaphone icon next to verse 49 on my computer. How do I turn on the icon?

5. My Logos 6 is up to date but only showed Stephen [and not Isaiah] as the speaker.

• Jeff Moss says:

I experienced the same thing, Bill. Just click on the ‘expansion’ arrow at the left of ‘Stephen’ and ‘Isaiah’ will appear as the second speaker.

6. Dan Scribner says:

Great post. Thank you!
    Just curious why, in the above example, LEB returns 83 results in 72 verses and ESV returns 91 results in 72 verses. Why the difference?

7. Similar to Bill Fiess' experience, only showed Stephen as the speaker. Nothing on Isaiah as the speaker in the context menu. I am running on Logos 6 Silver and OS is Windows 7 Home Premium.

8. Incidentally, searches were done on ESV, NIV and NASB95.

9. Daphne Twine says:

My Logos 6 does not show the speaker and only shows Stephen and Prophetic Literature and when I entered {Speaker <Person Isaiah>} in search it shows 0 verses!!??

10. In my Authirized Version of the King James Version of the Bible, the most read English text in the world, the Visual Filter option (Item C) Speaker Labels DOES NOT EXIST. Why does it not exist?

11. This is the resource of which I speak –
    LLS:1.0.3
    2014-10-08T23:17:25Z
    KJV.logos4

12. my observation –
    to those users who could only see Stephen listed on the right side of the context menu, you must observe this step –
    •Click the arrow icon next to Stephen the speaker on the context menu (F)
    Then Isaiah appears below Stephen as a second speaker option

13. Jacob-Kiki Hantla says:

On resources that have been manually tagged with the speaker database info have it.

14. I would also love to see a “quick link” to the verse being quoted; directly from the “megaphone”.

15. Jeff Lisa Beard says:

dittos. Nor do I have the megaphone. My logos Bronze is up-to-date. Can someone respond and help with this question(s)?