Logos 6: See and Read Only Highlighted Text

Today’s post is from Morris Proctor, certified and authorized trainer for Logos Bible Software. Morris, who has trained thousands of Logos users at his two-day Camp Logos seminars, provides many training materials.

If you’re like me, while reading a print book, you like marking up important points. Likewise, for years we’ve been able to highlight text in our Logos resources. Now, in Logos 6, we can go one step further. We can actually extract, view, and read just those highlights we’ve made in a book!

Here’s how:

• Open a resource, such as Alone with God
  • Choose Tools | Highlighting
  • Expand a palette such as highlighter pens (A)
  • Select some text in the resource (B)
  • Click a style, such as green highlighter (C)

morris-proctor-see-and-read-only-highlighted-text-1

• Continue highlighting text as you desire
  • Open another resource, such as Moral Foundations of Life
  • Highlight text in this resource as well (D)

morris-proctor-see-and-read-only-highlighted-text-2

By default, when we use styles in the highlighter-pens palette, Logos creates a notes document called Highlighter Pens.

• Open the notes document by choosing the documents menu
  • Click the Highlighter Pens file to open it
  • Select Quotes as the view in which to display the notes (E)
  • Notice the names of the resources in which text was highlighted (F)
  • Click the arrow to the left of a resource to reveal all of the text that was highlighted in that specific resource (G)

morris-proctor-see-and-read-only-highlighted-text-3

As you can see, by utilizing the highlighting and quotes views, you can in essence produce a personal summary, comprising what you deem important of any resource in your library.

You can learn more about Logos 6 features in the Logos 6: What’s New? Manual and the Logos 6: What’s New? Video, now available on Pre-Pub.

Also be sure to register for an upcoming Camp Logos live training seminar, including the January events in Tampa and Houston.

Comments

1. How do you close all the resources? They are all open, so it would take a while to close all of them.

2. Matthew Hamrick says:

Go to the Command bar and type "close all" without the quotes. Drag the command to the shortcut bar so you always have access to it.. anytime you need to close all then just click the command on the shortcut bar.

3. Matthew Hamrick says:

4. Matthew Hamrick says:

5. Matthew Hamrick That's a cool trick. Wow. I meant the tabs within the highlighter pens window. Know how to do that?

6. I can get to the page with a 'Highlighter Pens' I have dozens maybe hundred of highlighted passages, but all I get is a blank page

7. Right on this is cool. It looks like Logos 6 went through all my hi lighted stuff, cause I have stuff from when I first came to Logos 4 back in 2012. It also worked for the solid colors which I use that more often then not. I was concerned that I may have to start from scratch. Thanks

8. Jason Graves says:

me too

9. This is a really nice feature. However, it bring up all my highlights from the document no matter what highlighter I used. Is there a way to quickly and simply view all highlights from ONE specific highlighter without creating a new passage list?

10. It would be good to have the Apple commands as well as Windows.

11. Todd Bolen says:

The intro says that now in Logos 6 we can extract highlights, but it is not explained here and I haven’t figured it out. I want to export the full quotations into a Word doc. Anyone know how to do that? (It’s easy on a Kindle.)

12. Michael Shelnutt says:

I highlighted and added notes to some resources through my mobile device, how can I find those on my desktop? When I try what Morris shows here, I don't have a "Highlighter Pens" option- just Notes and it is blank.