Logos 5 Update: Smart Selection

Logos 5Late on Sunday, October 26, we will be pushing out a massive update to many of our major resources.

This update, due to its large size, will take quite a bit of time to download, depending on the size of your library.

Due to the change in these resources, your software will also have to index when finished with the update. It might be a good idea to start your software first thing Monday morning and let Logos begin to update and organize your library.

This update will allow a significant number of your resources to work with the new smart-selection feature. Smart selection is a new Logos 5 feature that will autoselect clauses, sentences, and sometimes even paragraphs as you start to select them from a resource. Once you move beyond a single word or a couple of sentences, Logos finishes selecting the logical phrase or paragraph that would match your selection.

The purpose of smart selection is to simply make it faster and easier to select the text you want. It changes the behavior of the normal click + drag selection from only selecting the characters you drag over to detecting the words, clauses, sentences, and paragraphs that you show the intention of selecting.

For example, in the sentence “I am testing Logos 5’s new feature.” selecting the “e” and “w” in “new” will select the entire word “new” (reaching the end of a word will select the beginning of the word as well). Selecting the “e,” “w,” and “f” in “new feature” will select both full words, and dragging into any other words will instantly select those whole words as well. Whenever you pass a word, phrase, sentence, or paragraph boundary, it begins selecting at that level.

Holding the Alt key (or Option for Mac) will allow normal selection, and Alt + right click (or Option + click for Mac) will select the word’s logical cluster. This feature will be enabled on all Logos 5 software, but if you want to check and be sure, just go to your program settings under the tools menu and check and see if the smart selection feature is set to “yes.”

Because this feature is so great, it takes a lot of data on the back end to make it work. Therefore, we will be implementing these updates late on October 26 to cause as little inconvenience as possible. Thank you for your patience!

Comments

1. great!

2. john h pavelko says:

will this update effect Logos 4 users or be limited to Logos 5?

• Pam Bauthues says:

John—since this update is resource based, it will affect Logos 4 users who have resources that work in Logos 5. Hope that helps!

3. David Hughes says:

wouldn't it be better to make the new feature only available when the PC-Alt or Mac-Option is selected rather than making this new feature the default? I tend to hate "smart" selections because it tends to select things that I do not want, they you have to find a more complicated "work-around" or something that is more complex to complete normal drag and selection of what you want? Or will there be an option in settings where this new feature can be turned off?

• Pam Bauthues says:

David—yes, you can turn off the feature. Just go to your program settings under the tools menu. It will be automatically enabled after the update, but you can easily go in and change that!

4. I look forward to the change.

5. Arthur John Roger says:

Great job guys!

6. The next to last paragraph tells you how to turn the feature on and off, I think.

[This feature will be enabled on all Logos 5 software, but if you want to check and be sure, just go to your program settings under the tools menu and check and see if the smart selection feature is set to “yes.”]

7. Believe I'll like that feature as the default

8. Philip Pattemore says:

What size of update are we talking ? Gb range?

• Pam Bauthues says:

Hi Philip—the update size depends on the size of your library, and we don’t currently have any estimates. Sorry about that!

9. Rodney Ochs says:

sounds fun…

10. Janis Lewman says:

What is the size of this download? Those without unlimited data download plans need to know to be able to plan accordingly.

• Pam Bauthues says:

Hi Janis—sorry we don’t have an estimate at this time. The download size will be dependent on the size of your library, though.

11. I have the logos premiere, will I get the update too? hope so

12. Rev'd Uche Nwoye says:

I already like the feature…. Great job.

13. This is going to be a great change!

14. I have no doubts that this will work very well. I have been well pleased with your prigram in the past.

15. How do I get my LOGOS boot up back into English lang. I think it is in German????

16. Steve Dyess says:

>>>What size of update are we talking ? Gb range?<<<

Doesn't seem that this question was ever answered. I am also on a limited data plan and my computer doesn't run the Logos program very well already. Is there any way to refuse the update? I don't need any more features that eat data and I never use. Thanks

• Pam Bauthues says:

Hi Steve—apologies for the delay! The update is dependent on the size of your library, and we don’t have any estimates at this time. The update will also run automatically, but you can turn it off in your program settings if you wish! If you have other questions, feel free to contact our support team at 800-875-6467.

17. I have a bit of a problem. I’m in ND for at least 4 to 8 weeks longer. My discs are in FL and my computer crashed and burned a few weeks ago so I don’t even have my program on the new computer. Will I still be able to update when we get home. I’m not even sure if my program will run on 8.2 (which I don’t like). It was running on Vista and 95 before that.
    Thanks.

18. I don't feel this was very well thought through. This large of an update could simply have waited to be added to the new version since that is coming out at the same time. I know that this update is going to cause a lot of problems for me (with the size of the download) for a feature that I simply do not care about.