Logos 5: Attach Notes to Verses

Today’s post is from Morris Proctor, certified and authorized trainer for Logos Bible Software. Morris, who has trained thousands of Logos users at his two-day Camp Logos seminars, provides many training materials.

I recently received a question from a Logos user that I answer frequently, so I want to address it again. The question was basically this:

My understanding is when I create a note for a verse, the note indicator is to appear next to that verse in all of my Bibles. However, I’m only seeing the indicator in the Bible in which I first created the note. What’s happening?

This is a very common scenario, so we’ll patiently walk through it from the beginning.

Let’s imagine we’re going to study the book of Mark, verse by verse. As we gain insights, we want to record them in a notes document next to the corresponding verses. In addition, we want those notes to appear in all of our Bibles.

Here’s how to accomplish that task:

• Choose Documents | Notes
  • Name the file something like Mark Notes (A)
  • Open any Bible to Mark 1:1 (B)

morris-proctor-attach-notes-to-verses-1-open-bible

• Right click any word in Mark 1:1 (C)
  • Select Reference Mark 1:1 (THIS IS THE KEY: You must choose Reference so the note will attach to that verse regardless of the Bible you’re in. If you choose Selection “the word”, the note is only attached to that word in that Bible.) (D)
  • Select Add a note to “Mark Notes” (E)

morris-proctor-attach-notes-to-verses-2-rt-cl

Notice what just happened:

• A note named Mark 1:1 was created in the notes document (F)
  • A note indicator was placed next to Mark 1:1 in the Bible (G)

morris-proctor-attach-notes-to-verses-3-add-note

• The note indicator will appear in all versified books, primarily Bibles and commentaries, containing an entry for Mark 1:1 (H)

morris-proctor-attach-notes-to-verses-4-content

• Add Content for the Mark 1:1 note (I)

morris-proctor-attach-notes-to-verses-5-more-verses

• Repeat these steps for each verse as you move through Mark (J)

morris-proctor-attach-notes-to-verses-6-all-bibles

• Close the notes document, but notice the indicators remain in the Bible (K)
  • Rest the cursor on the indicator to preview the note’s content (L)

morris-proctor-attach-notes-to-verses-7-preview

• Click the indicator to open the notes document

By following these steps, at the end of your research you’ll basically have a personal study Bible for Mark that will be saved and synchronized across your various devices.

If you enjoyed this, check out our other training materials for more helpful hints.

Comments

1. This method is my preferred way to document all my studies. The greatest thing is the note icon (for each note I make) shows up regardless of which Bible I am using.

2. Tom Durrance says:

That’s really awesome. I have many notes in the margins of various Bibles. I can condense them all into one note. Thanks Logos and thanks Morris Proctor for sharing.

3. Hooray! Thanks so much, I have been wanting my notes to appear over all translations and couldn’t work it out – Got some work to do now, but all good stuff.

4. thank you this was a great help!

5. I find the note feature to be very clumsy. What you have outlined does not work for the way I organize my study and notes. I have notes organized by topic. I have many topics that I wish to take notes on as I study. For instance salvation. If I come across a verse that applies to salvation and I wish to add it to my salvation notes and/or make a comment on it I would like to right click on the verse and then click on the note that I wish to add it to. I have found that I can only do this if I have previously opened documents and then clicked on every note that is part of my study and then those notes are available for me to right click on the verse and add it to a particular note. I have found that this adds a note to all of my Bibles.

6. Alan Heathcote says:

Excellent – for the future.

7. James Uhlmann says:

Is it possible to simultaneously add a note to parallel Gospels so that no matter which Gospel you reference you know that there is a note available for that pericope? The parallel passages are listed at the head of each pericope in the Gospels, so it is easy to attach the same note to each parallel Gospel but that then clogs the note with multiple references.

8. TheO SUDS says:

I also would like to know if this is possible —

“Excellent – for the future.

Now, as regards the past, how on earth do you now convert hundred of other substantial notes you have in one version only so they show in all versions?”

9. Theo Suds says:

Have done all the above and do not get a "Reference" for the Note I made. The only "Reference" selection after a right click on a word is the chapter and verse the word Is in?

• Hi Theo & Ben,
      you go into ‘Documents’ and make a note and then open it.

Then click on a verse in an open Bible or commentary (two finger press on Mac) a box opens and there is a tab that says ‘reference’ – this is the bit I had missed.

Click on ‘Reference’ and the below that you will see “Add a note to… your open note”.

Click on that and it will appear in your note, you can then give it title and put your thoughts or comments in.

Once you have done that a marker will appear at the chosen verse in any translation and your note will appear if you hover over or click the marker.

Hope that helps, blessings.

10. Ben Linnabary says:

This is the same question I have. Is there an answer?

11. Notes are helpful and i use them all the time. But they are severely limited by having one subject. Most of my notes have many possible subjects, so they really need tags, or multiple subjects that would allow getting to everything you have written about a subject. Adobe does this with photos, iTunes does this with music. This is such a common metaphor that I find it very frustrating not to be able to use with Logos.

• I have found a work around that gives me tags. I copy a section of text and then paste it into Evernote where I can add tags. It would be nice if Logos heard this common complaint about the poor functionality of Notes and improved their product. Bible study basics other than the texts are highlighting and notes…

12. Chris T Sipes says:

Is there a way to add a note to a word like say "servant" and that note show up every time that word is used in the Bible?

13. Notes really should be fully editable with the ability to use various fonts, bold, underline, etc., they should be linked like any other book and follow the translation you are using, and they should be fully sharable (as in community notes but with way more functionality as described). Other than the sharable part, free bible software programs have offered this for years – basically your own commentary that functions as such, just like the other commentaries in your library. The current Logos method needs re-visioning and re-vamping.

I use multiple bible software programs and while some of the newer datasets Logos offers are greatly appreciated (and some have been available for free for a long time in other programs) the program in general in very slow and has some features that are extremely tedious, for example – is there a way to tell all open commentaries to be part of Link set A or do I really have to click on every single one of them and set that up? Also, free programs tell me visually which of my commentaries actually have a comment on the verse I’m on – that would be helpful in Logos, instead of sifting through hundreds of commentaries to see if there’s a valid comment. Further intuition is needed.

And why are we still waiting on HCSB to be tagged to Hebrew and Greek?
    Anywhere that I’m ignorant, feel free to enlighten me.