Logos Talk’s Recommended Commentary Series highlights some favorite commentaries by Logos academics and the user community.
We Want to Hear from You!
Each week we will post a forum thread asking which commentaries, available from Logos, are your favorites for a specific book in the Bible. This is a great opportunity to let other Logos users know which commentaries you have found valuable in your studies.
We asked Logos Scholar-in-Residence Steven Runge to give us his favorite commentaries on Matthew. Here are a few of his choices in no particular order:
- Matthew, Mark Cornerstone Biblical Commentary by David L. Turner, Darrell L. Bock, and Phillip W. Comfort
- A Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the Gospel According to Saint Matthew, Vol. 1 by W. D. Davies and Dale C. Allison
- A Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the Gospel According to Saint Matthew, Vol. 2 by W. D. Davies and Dale C. Allison
- A Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the Gospel According to Saint Matthew, Vol. 3 by W. D. Davies and Dale C. Allison
- The New International Commentary on the Old and New Testament: The Gospel of Matthew by R. T. France
Logos Community Favorites
Here are a few commentaries suggested by Logos users:
- Pillar New Testament Commentary: The Gospel according to Matthew by Leon Morris
- The New International Greek Testament Commentary: The Gospel of Matthew by John Nolland
- Word Biblical Commentary, Volume 33a: Matthew 1-13 by Donald A. Hagner
- Word Biblical Commentary, Volume 33b: Matthew 14-28 by Donald A. Hagner
- Hermeneia: Matthew 1–7, 8–20, 21–28 by Ulrich Luz
- The Gospel of Matthew: A Socio-Rhetorical Commentary by Craig S. Keener
- Expositor’s Bible Commentary: Matthew by D. A. Carson
- The New American Commentary: Matthew by Craig L. Blomberg
- Matthew for Everyone, part 1 & 2 by N. T. Wright
- Paideia: Commentaries on the New Testament, Matthew by Charles H. Talbert
This is only a small list of the suggested commentaries for Matthew! For a larger selection of suggested commentaries, visit the forum post.