A Logos user recently e-mailed me this question: How can I find all of the “obedience” words in the Bible like, obey, obedience, obeyed, obedient, etc?
Here’s all you have to do:
- Click the Search icon to open the Search panel
- Select Bible as the search type
- Select the desired range and Bible(s) to search from the drop down lists
- Type this in the Find box: obe*
- Press the Enter key to initiate the search
The asterisk (*) is a wildcard representing any number of characters. So you’re searching for all the words beginning with obe followed by anything. This search finds the obedience family along with Obed as well. To remove Obed from the search type this:
obe* ANDNOT obed
As you can see, this wildcard search comes in handy when you’re looking for similar word forms at the same time!