Logos 4.0a Is Now Available

The first significant update to Logos 4 is now available as a free download to all Logos 4 users. Version 4.0a adds tons of new features and tweaks and includes numerous bug fixes. If you have automatic updates turned on (screenshot), which is the default setting, Logos 4 should have already notified you that updates are ready to be installed.

When you see the balloon tooltip window, right-click on the Logos icon in your system tray and choose to “Install update” (screenshot). If the update hasn’t been downloaded yet and you just can’t wait any longer to get your hands on the latest release, just type Update Now into the command bar (screenshot). This will force Logos 4 to check for any available updates (screenshot) and begin downloading them.

What’s New in 4.0a?

Below you’ll find a list of many of the new features and improvements we added in 4.0a. To help you learn about some of them, I’ve taken several screenshots. Click on the links below to see the corresponding images. In the coming weeks, we’ll discuss some of these new features in detail here on the blog.

• Search Analysis grid in Bible and Morph searches (screenshot)
  • Bible Text Only visual filter (screenshot)
  • Ctrl+Alt+B opens Copy Bible Verses from any Windows application (if Logos 4 is running) (screenshot)
  • Help > Explain the screen (F9) (screenshot)
  • Index Merging reduces the time it takes to build a full library index when adding new books.
  • Redesign of the Cited By tool (screenshot)
  • Commentaries section in Bible-reference-based guides supports custom collections of commentaries (e.g., Favorite Commentaries) (screenshot)
  • Added more Highlighting styles (screenshot)
  • Added hit counts to concordance results in Bible Word Study sections with a ring graph (screenshot)
  • New look for Topics and Important Words in Passage Guide (screenshot)
  • Home Page ribbon can be customized (screenshot)
  • Search: My Content shows results from saved guides
  • Ctrl+H opens History
  • Alt+P opens or closes the Help menu
  • Added two new handout styles
  • Added new styles for the Ctrl+Drag distance calculation in Biblical Places maps
  • Added searching indicator to Reading Lists searches
  • Added Visual Bookmarks settings
  • Added Resource Panel Background settings
  • Added “rebuild index” command
  • Added “merge index” command to force index merging (when possible)
  • Added a “Copy” option to the context menu for the reading plan reference range selector
  • Improved performance in many areas of the application

To see a list of some of the main bugs we squashed, check out “What’s New in Logos 4.0a.”

Time to Upgrade to Logos 4?

Many of you have been cautiously watching from the sidelines, waiting for the right opportunity to make the switch to Logos 4. As you can see, Logos 4 is now better than ever. It’s had nearly two months of extensive testing by thousands of users, and our team of developers has been fixing bugs, listening to user feedback, and adding some really cool new features.

But 4.0a is just the beginning. Work has already begun on 4.0b. We’re in the process of adding these additional features, as well as many others that we can’t tell you about yet.

There’s never been a better time to upgrade to Logos 4. It’s a powerful, stable, cutting-edge piece of software that just keeps getting better all the time. And best of all, these updates come to you free of charge.

The window of time for taking advantage of our upgrade discounts is getting smaller. Don’t miss out on your chance to move to Logos 4 at our special introductory discount prices. What are you waiting for? Upgrade today.

What’s Your Favorite New Feature?

After you’ve updated to 4.0a, drop a note in the comments and tell us what your favorite new feature is. I think I’m most excited about the search analysis feature—virtually endless ways to explore and organize biblical data. The ability to use custom collections of commentaries in guides is also pretty sweet. What’s your favorite?

What about Logos 4 for Mac?

The Mac version of Logos 4 is also making some nice progress with a new build coming out about once a week on average. The latest release, Alpha 8, is coming together quite nicely. If you’re ready to help up test it, you can either upgrade your base package or download core engine.

31 Responses to “Logos 4.0a Is Now Available”

1. John Dickson December 24, 2009 at 4:19 am #

I think it’s important that you get feedback from your Logos users so I’m doing just that.
    I love the functionality and power of Logos 4, however, it is much more difficult to navigate than the old Libronix version. I also feel that by making the home page into a newspaper is a disservice to the purpose and image of Logos as a whole. To me it’s distracting, and I would much prefer a front page that could be much better utilized as a menu for all of the hidden power Logos has to offer, in contrast to the articles which I seriously doubt most of your users even bother to read.
    You have a wonderful software, a student/scholar’s dream for building a library, accessibility, research, learning, functionality not found anywhere else in bible software. Please keep in mind Logos’s purpose for the serious student and its ease of use in researching an entire library through commands, which has been its greatest benefit to all of us.
    One other suggestion I have is allow the user to enable/disable more of the peripheral functionality as opposed to making it fixed information that comes up on the screen automatically. It not only slows up the program but also clutters up the screen with way too much information.
    You guys have a great product!!!! Thanks…

2. Phil Sumpter December 24, 2009 at 4:22 am #

I’m glad that the Highlighting options have been extended and hope that one day I’ll be able to create my own Highlighting selections.

3. Martin Burch December 24, 2009 at 5:58 am #

woohoo! Thanks for an early Christmas present, Logos. I particularly like the ribbon customizations!

4. Randy Gregory December 24, 2009 at 7:58 am #

I used the reference tagger in Microsoft Word when I had the logos 3 and I really miss it in Logos 4. Are you planning to upgrade the logos 4 to handle reference tagger to work in Word?

5. Steve Maling December 24, 2009 at 8:35 am #

Hey, Guys and Gals, This is a GREAT Christmas gift:-)The added functionality is super. Sure hope you folks can relax enough to enjoy “the twelve days of Christmas” after all your efforts for the past many months, and especially with all the anxious feedback I (and others) have been sending your way since November 2nd, 2009. Rest in the Lord, Steve

6. Andy Anderson December 24, 2009 at 8:58 am #

With 4.0 I was able to conduct a Lemma Search within the resource with only the ESV and NRSV. With this latest download, in addition to the afore mentioned resources, I am able to NOW do a Lemma Search within this resource with the NASB, NKJV, KJV, and LEB. Thanks so much! The Reverse Interlinears for these resources are outstanding! When will Logos complete the NLT and NIV Reverse Interlinears? Keep up the great work!
    Thanks
    Andy

7. Jonathan Hoffman December 24, 2009 at 2:34 pm #

Anyone else having trouble copy/pasting a bible reading plan in 4.0a? I could do it in 4.0, but not since the update.

8. sfm4 December 24, 2009 at 6:51 pm #

I am disappointed that the Personal Book Builder does not work in 4.0 I use PBB resources a great deal. I hope this will be resolved soon!

9. Phil Gons December 24, 2009 at 8:05 pm #

Personal Book Builder is on the list and is coming back in the near future, and it will be even better than the old version.

10. Prince C. Stacey December 24, 2009 at 9:53 pm #

Can’t find or download update.

11. Rev. Lynwood F. Mundy December 25, 2009 at 10:58 am #

Thanks for the Christmas present to all Logos 4 users. Merry Christmas to all at Logos.

12. Don Embry December 25, 2009 at 2:51 pm #

Why won’t 4.0 save changes in layouts? Example when you save layout in devotion and make changes in it doesn’t save the changes.

13. Phil Gons December 25, 2009 at 3:43 pm #

To save an updated version of a layout, just click the layout drop-down button and then replace “Snapshot” with the name of the layout. You can have multiple instances of a layout with the same name. This allows you to jump back to different iterations of your study. A future version will have an “update layout” option from the right-click menu to make this process a little easier.

14. Will December 25, 2009 at 6:13 pm #

New to 4.0; I’m looking to update to 4.0a but no logos icon appears in the taskbar. Any ideas?

15. Phil Gons December 25, 2009 at 8:38 pm #

Is it possible that you already updated without realizing it? Click on the ? in the top right hand corner of the screen and choose “About Logos Bible Software.” What version shows up? Here’s what you’ll see if you’re running 4.0a: http://screencast.com/t/Mjg1ZDI3MzM.

16. Stephen Jones December 26, 2009 at 8:30 am #

Just this morning I stumbled across the ability to customize commentary collections in the Passage Guide. L3 never had anything like this. This is a great upgrade! I own so many commentaries now that the commentary list in Passage Guide had become a bit cluttered and overwhelming. This allows me to tag and open only Study Bibles and one-volume commentaries, open only Exegetical commentaries, or open only Expositional commentaries. This is very helpful when I am at different stages of sermon prep and want to narrow what kind of commentaries I want to consult.

17. Richard D. Bearse December 26, 2009 at 8:31 am #

How do I use the Keyboard Selector feature in Logos 4?

18. Steve Maling December 26, 2009 at 2:57 pm #

Hi, Richard,
    I had the same question and kind folks on the Forums told me to go to this link and read all about it: http://www.logos.com/support/downloads/keyboards
    I did and I like this even better than the old “Keyboard Selector”.
    If pasting this link into your browser doesn’t work, go to http://www.logos.com and search for the article on “Windows Keyboards for Ancient Languages”.
    Steve

19. Prince C. Stacey December 26, 2009 at 3:16 pm #

Thanks. I was having the same problem.

20. Dale Durnell December 27, 2009 at 6:17 pm #

Just curious Phil — did my comment get lost? Or, rejected ;-)

21. Phil Gons December 28, 2009 at 9:01 am #

This is the first comment of yours that I’ve seen. I’ll see if I can locate the other.

22. Phil Gons December 28, 2009 at 9:28 am #

I looked through the last week of SPAM comments, but I don’t see yours anywhere. Sorry about that.

23. Phil Gons December 28, 2009 at 2:02 pm #

Are you referring to the Smart Tags feature? Microsoft is dropping support for it, so I don’t think we’re going to add Smart Tags support in Logos 4. How exactly did you use it? To jump to Logos? To insert passages?

24. Phil Gons December 28, 2009 at 3:00 pm #

Thanks for your feedback, John.
    Logos 4 takes some getting used to, but the vast majority of people find it to be a significant improvement to Logos 3. I hope you do too eventually.
    The Home Page isn’t for everyone. That’s why we give you the option to turn it off altogether. For people who want to study the Bible and need some starting points, the Home Page can be useful.

25. Dale Durnell December 28, 2009 at 5:38 pm #

Well Phil, if it got lost in cyber space, let me just post it again ;-)
            I think it is more than fair to say that there are two features that I can say really set the new Logos 4 apart from the competition, so pardon me if I don’t limit my response to just one.
            FIRST: I work in my Study at the church office. But, I’m also one who literally brings his work home with him. Before digital libraries, I literally lugged Bibles, commentaries, and lexicons home from the office to the parsonage (and usually forgot to take them all back the next day or after the weekend). With the advent of digital libraries (beyond just a computer Bible) I could access my library from a variety of locations. But, it’s always been a struggle to pick up where I left off. I’d leave work to come home to dinner (or for the weekend), and then after the evening meal (or a good night’s sleep) I’d fire up my home computer and try to bring my Bible software back to some kind of semblance of what I had been doing at the office. Yes, this could sometimes be eased with floppy disk, carrying a dot “ini” file or some such from point A) to point B), but it was messy, and not always the easiest thing to do. Certainly a thumb drive made it easier to carry the file, but occasionally I’d still find that I had failed to install a resource on the home computer that I had at the office (or vice versa) and so I could never be sure I could pick up exactly where I’d been. And, usually, there was no simple way of knowing exactly which file to bring home to begin with — there was never a menu option to simply export the setting to a disk.
            Logos 4 has solved that problem, once and for all. Assuming that I am able to maintain my internet connection at the church and the parsonage, or on the road with my laptop, I can simply fire up Logos 4 where ever I’m at. Et voila, two things happen: A) I can pickup exactly where I left off, and B) I’m always sure that I’ve got the exact same resources on my which ever machine I’m using at whatever location I’m at. Life hasn’t been this easy in the world of digital / electronic Bible study before now. And, because of that ease, convenience, and power, I don’t see myself reverting back to L3 for much of anything.
            SECOND: As I upgrade, update, my computers I’ve found that Logos 4 has just made my life so much easier. E.g., I’ve got a home computer — it’s an older 64bit CPU that was running the 32 bit version of Windows XP/Pro SP3. It also had Logos 3 and 4 installed. However, it had suffered a serious hardware failure a few months back and the end result is that everything had to be reinstalled on the computer. I’m still not fully “reinstalled” — I’ve moved since I bought a lot of my software; I had some at the office and some at the parsonage; and we are still not fully unpacked. I honestly don’t know where all my software installation packages are (I don’t even know where all my L3 disks are since the advent of Series X). In the case of other software, some of what I had installed was downloaded and some of the unlock keys were only good for a couple of days, after which I’d had to go back and ask for a new install key.
            And, so before I got too far along with rebuilding my home computer, I decided to upgrade my parsonage workhorse to Windows 7, Home Premium. However making the transition from XP to Win 7 meant having to (again) reload everything. However, since so little was already installed, and before I got too much more installed, I figured this was as good a time as any to make the move (even though I already had Logos 4 installed).
            The most difficult thing about installing Logos 4 on my new Win 7 installation was finding the link to do an install without buying a package. However, once I found it, I simply invoked the link and downloaded the installation program. That was about noon. This evening, as I’m wrote this the first time, after signing into the program with my Logos login, all 14 plus gb of thousands of resources have been downloaded and the program has launched. No, indexing isn’t finished, but I headed off to bed, and it indexed away through the night, to its heart’s content.
            The thing is, I haven’t had to put but one CD in my drive today — that was the Windows 7 upgrade disk. I’m literally surrounded by Logos disks that were a necessary part of life with earlier versions of Logos. But Logos 4 knew who I was, what I owned, and what it needed to download (everything). Not only that but when it fired up after the download, it went immediately to the desktop configuration that was on L4 the last time I used the program at the office. That ain’t bad, not bad at all!!
            Again, I’m sorry I can’t tell you just *ONE* thing that I really like about L4 — but these two features alone have sold me on this program and the Logos 4 upgrade (as if I needed much selling at this point anyway). I’m learning to live (and work) with the new interface as long as I can have this sense of comfort with the power and convenience of the new program.
    Dale

26. Scott Marsh December 29, 2009 at 8:02 am #

Yes, but will we have to buy a new version of the PBB for 4.0, or will our current version still work? I have no problem with the annual usage fee, but to have to buy a whole new PBB might be a dealbreaker.

27. Phil Gons December 29, 2009 at 2:25 pm #

The details haven’t been decided yet, but my guess is that if you already own a license to the PBB creator, you won’t have to repurchase it. At the very least, you’d probably get a discount. But, again, I doubt you’d have to repurchase it.

28. Phil Gons December 29, 2009 at 4:18 pm #

Got it this time! :) Thanks for taking the time to resubmit your comment.

29. Robert Warmath December 30, 2009 at 11:18 am #

I appreciate Dale Durnell’s comment and relate to a large extent. I also have computers at both the church and home, and study at both places. I have yet to discover so much about Logos 4, but am absolutely astounded and amazed and enthralled by it! My question prompted by Dale’s remarks is how do I duplicate what is on once computer’s Logos layout to the other through the internet? Is there a way to do that so I have the same open resources on both machines without having to begin a passage guide or exegetical guide on the same passage independently on both computers?

30. Phil Gons December 30, 2009 at 12:27 pm #

You can easily save and load layouts between your computers. Arrange everything how you want it on one computer, click the Layouts drop-down, and then give your layout a name. Logos 4 will sync that layout to our servers and then back down to your other computer. Start Logos 4 on your second computer and then load the layout you saved on your other computer. I hope this helps.

31. Jerry Ritchie January 5, 2010 at 9:45 am #

I completely “ditto” John’s comments precisely. Although Logos 4 is much more powerful, access to the functionality is difficult to navigate and I have to watch videos to figure it out. In Ver 3 all the commands and options were all in the menus.
    Another suggestion would be to make the upgrades and patches available for download like you did with DLS 3. I know there are many like myself that do not have high speed Internet available to me at home. Consequently, the automatic 4.0a patch took over 24hrs to download at home also tying up the Internet at the house the whole time as well. It’s just not feasible to disconnect my PC at home and drag it to the office for every sizable update.
    I have access to high speed Internet at work and really need to download the update files there and bring them home to install like I did with the previous version.
    You do have an excellent product and you have a lifetime customer in me! Bless you for all you do in helping us grow in His word.