Logos 4 . . . It’s All Greek (and Hebrew) to Me

To have a grasp on the biblical languages once required years of study. For those who wanted to dabble in understanding some Greek and Hebrew works they might add a Vine’s Expository Dictionary or many of the other print helps available to give one a rudimentary understanding of key Greek and Hebrew words.

Maybe you have studied Greek and Hebrew in seminary but your skills are just not what they used to be. With the Exegetical Guide in Logos 4, your passage of Scripture is analyzed for you, word by word, in its original language, and definitions are displayed from dictionaries. You can also get insight from leading grammarians, see where biblical manuscripts differ, and observe the structure of the text.

Logos Bible Software 4

The Bible Word Study gathers extensive information on any word in the Bible, whether Greek, Hebrew, or Aramaic, and shows you how the word is translated and how it functions. It also shows you where else it is used in ancient literature.

Reverse interlinears are built right into many of Logos 4′s English Bibles which allows you to see the Greek or Hebrew behind your text. Simply highlight a portion of text in one interlinear, and Logos 4 will highlight the corresponding text in other open Bibles. You can see immediately how the Greek and Hebrew was translated in other translations.

Logos Bible Software 4

Logos Bible Software 4 is not just powerful for language studies. Search your resources with its lightning fast search engine which can scan your whole library in a second. Print brand new, high-resolution infographics that are PowerPoint ready to illustrate some of your major points in sermons, essays or Bible studies. This can all be done in an interface that is completely intuitive and adaptable to your study needs.

If you haven’t upgraded to Logos 4 yet, what are you waiting for? Now is the time to streamline your study and work smarter, not harder.

You should follow us on Twitter here.

8 Responses to “Logos 4 . . . It’s All Greek (and Hebrew) to Me”

1. Damian McGrath November 10, 2009 at 4:40 am #

“To have a grasp on the biblical languages once required years of study.”
    With respect, to have a grasp OF the biblical languages still requires years of study! Logos 4 does not change that.

2. Mike Johnson November 10, 2009 at 10:37 am #

These sorts of posts are excellent in that they show solid capabilities of the Logos 4 engine. However, I would hate for future pastors and other seminary students to get the idea that the languages aren’t necessary – just buy Logos 4. By all means get Logos 4 software – it is incredibly useful for Bible study and for studying the Bible in the original languages. But expositors need to study the original languages if at all possible.

3. Steve Maling November 10, 2009 at 5:41 pm #

To which I add, “At 73, after 53 years working with Greek (begun in a Northeastern liberal arts college)and 49 years working with Hebrew (begun in a Northeastern seminary, Logos has helped me o improve my language skills markedly to the benefit of adult Bible classes I continue to teach. As Damian and Mike have noted, we’re talking TOOLS here, not subsitutes for study. And I thank God the younger generations have much better tools than those with which we seniors began:-)

4. Daryl November 11, 2009 at 5:48 am #

Yesterday I purchased the Platinum edition of Logos 4. All I can say is WOW. This thing is massive. I am going to need help in learning how to use this to its fullest extent. What should I buy in the way of learning resources?
    I knew when I purchased this that it was going to require an investment of time to get it installed and everything. I started downloading it around 1 PM CST. It finally finished about 6 PM. Be aware I have a 3.20 Pentium 4 Processor and a 12mbps cable modem internet connection so my computer is not slow. Then it started the actual install process. I was so anxious to get into it but I left it alone and didn’t bother it. Then it started indexing. It finished the indexing process somewhere around 2:30 a.m this morning. I finally just had to go to bed and leave it alone and let the program do its thing. I barred my wife from the computer and told her “hands off”. I didn’t want to mess this up and have to do it all over again.
    I would like to say to those that are purchasing this product, “Be prepared to spend the biggest part or maybe all of the first day, downloading, installing and letting the program do the indexing. No matter how badly you want to get into it, DON’T touch that computer. Just to be sure nothing interfered, I closed down every thing that was running on my computer so it would have maximum processing power. Now its done and I have the greatest bible study program in the world. Way to go Logos. This is great!

5. Jay Davis November 11, 2009 at 7:46 am #

Will the upcoming Tyndale Commentaries be on a CD ROM with the new Logos 4 or with Logos 3?

6. Steve R November 11, 2009 at 10:56 am #

While I don’t disagree with the advantage and importance of actually knowing the original languages, I have to say that for me and others with learning disabilities that make it extremely difficult (if not impossible) to grasp a second language as complex and challenging as Greek and Hebrew, the Exegetical Guide and Interlinear Bibles are invaluable. The language tools and resources in Logos, including the Lexham High Definition New Testament, (which helps me see the Greek grammar structure), has literally transformed my understanding of, appreciation of and application of God’s Word. And the new capabilities in the interface of Logos 4 have made it just that much easier to explore and experience. Thanks Logos!

7. David Smithwick December 11, 2009 at 8:42 am #

I suppose I’m going to need to look up a couple more things but this was a pretty good place to start.

8. Kerry G February 13, 2010 at 2:20 pm #

I agree that study of Greek or Hebrew is very important. But having these tools in Logos has helped me to get a little deeper understanding of God’s word without having to wait years to study. The interlinear bibles have shown me that we can have a more accurate interpretation of God’s word. Instead of just looking at the water, I can put my feet in. The next step – swimming in it – may come some time in the future. But right now the water feels good on my feet!