Adding RefTagger to a Movable Type blog is can be accomplished in just a few minutes. Here are the steps you need to take to get RefTagger up and running on MT 4.21, which is presently the latest version.
- Navigate to your admin panel (http://yoursite.com/cgi-bin/mt/mt.cgi or something similar).
- If you have more than one blog, select the blog you want to add RefTagger to first from the main dropdown menu at the top left.
- Hover over the “Design” tab, and click on “Templates.”
- Scroll down to Template Modules, and click on “Footer.” (If you don’t see anything under Template Modules, then you’re probably using an outdated template. Considering updating to a new one, or see the additional instructions below.)
- Scroll to the bottom, and then paste the customizable RefTagger code right before the </body> tag.
- Click “Save.”
- If you have more than one blog, repeat steps 2-6.
- Publish your changes.
You’re good to go. RefTagger is now working on your entire site—no matter how many years you’ve been blogging.
If you’re using MT 3.x or a pre-MT 4 template that lacks built-in support for template modules, you’ll need to add the RefTagger code to the following templates. Repeat steps 4-6 above for each of the following templates:
- Main Index (under the Index Templates)
- Category Archive (under the Archive Templates)
- Date-Based Archive (under the Archive Templates)
- Individual Entry Archive (under the Archive Templates)
If you need help, don’t hesitate to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know.