Syntax Resources and Topical Sermons

Today’s guest blogger is Dr. Michael Heiser, our Academic Editor.

In a previous posting, I shared some thoughts on what syntax databases mean for the English-only reader, stressing that the new syntax databases in several Libronix 3.0 collections are hardly the exclusive domain of scholars.

Here I want to offer a practical illustration of their value for coming up with topical sermons that are rooted in grammatical relationships (believe it or not!). Anyone interested in relationships between words (i.e., syntax) understands that just knowing that God is the subject of a certain verb that has a certain object can yield some penetrating insights for sermon material and Bible study.

The video linked below illustrates this simple, down-to-earth benefit of tapping into our revolutionary syntactical resources for those outside the scholarly fraternity.

Click here to see a Topical Sermon Using Syntax (Flash, 12:52).

7 Responses to “Syntax Resources and Topical Sermons”

1. Paul August 4, 2006 at 8:27 am #

2. Murray Woolnough August 4, 2006 at 11:03 am #

I really enjoyed that one – such a powerful tool. The commentary was interesting and easy to listen to – thank you.
    It was good to get some idea of what all the symbols mean in the reverse interlinear, too.

3. Gerry August 4, 2006 at 2:49 pm #

Yup, here too. The display locked up for about a minute, but the sound continued.
    > About six minutes into the video, the Logos screen displays were behind the sound.

4. Vincent Setterholm August 4, 2006 at 3:20 pm #

Sorry for the technical difficulties. We’ll try to get a new copy of this posted early next week.

5. Mark Smith August 6, 2006 at 6:17 pm #

The video does stop progressing, but if you stop the video, and pull the slider to about where it stopped before and then hit play it will function properly.

6. Mark Smith August 6, 2006 at 6:26 pm #

I have to rain on the parade. I guess the illustration leaves me unimpressed. Accurately stated we learned when the Lord came down in the past not anything about when he does come down nor when he will come down. That doesn’t make for much of a sermon in my opinion. If this is so, then this illustration doesn’t do much to motivate me to use syntax. I could use a little more compelling example. Maybe this is an example of more quickly discovering there isn’t a sermon in something you observe in a passage (which is not a bad thing).

7. Nathan Parker September 4, 2006 at 1:05 pm #

About the video lagging behind the audio issue, I can explain that. Sometimes those screen recording programs tend to do that. It happens to me all the time!
    Simple screen recorder glitch, that’s all.