The top vote-getter in our 2005 Soup Cookoff was Jerry Godfrey’s soup, Grandma Approved!
His prize-winning recipe is below.
- 3 lbs. red potatoes
- 1 lb. bacon
- 1/2 large sweet onion
- 2 bunches green onions
- 1 small pkg. 4 cheese flavored instant mashed potatoes
- 16 oz. Half and Half
- 1 stick butter
- Salt and Pepper
- Wash and dice potatoes, put in pot to boil
- Brown bacon and chop finely, put bacon and 1/2 of fat in with boiling potatoes
- Dice sweet and green onions and throw them in the pot
- When these are as cooked as you like, add the other ingredients.
Jerry adds: “Sorry I couldn’t be more precise, but that’s it. I don’t typically use recipes; this time was no exception!”