My Story: Paul Burgess

This week’s “My Story” comes from Paul Burgess, an undergraduate student at CSU.

I am a full-time worker and part-time distance education (correspondence) student studying for my Bachelor of Theology. I have found that I need the Logos software. I am working 50+ hours a week, and trying to study, with a family. I am 52 years old, and find I do not have the time to properly research things by reading through books. I need a system that is almost able to provide me the references before I ask for them (I know that’s impossible), but Logos software has almost that ability.

By running a search on a word, a verse or a topic, I get exactly what I need: lots of information, commentaries that contain explanations or comments, and other references or cross references. These help me not only understand what I am searching, but its context. I could not get this straight from a book. Even a library as large as the books in my Logos package would not give me the understanding I need, because I would have to trawl through the books manually, or through the indexes manually, which would take hours or days. One quick and efficient search, and I have everything at my fingertips.

[Read more...]

17 New Training Videos in Portuguese

One of our users from Brazil, Israel Cavalli, has done a great service to Portuguese-speaking Logos users by creating 17 training videos for Logos Bible Software. Israel teaches a free mini course on Logos at his university, and he created these videos in an effort to help even more people learn how to use Logos even better.

[Read more...]

My Story: Beau Abernathy

It’s time for another episode of “My Story.” This one comes from Dr. Beau Abernathy, pastor of CrossPointe Church.

Dear Logos,

Words escape me to adequately express my appreciation to the Lord for you and your ministry!

As a bi-vocational church planting pastor, time is a premium commodity. How do I balance being a loving husband and father with work and church responsibilities? In order for a new church to grow, one part is that the people coming need to sense that the messages are excellent, challenging and life-related.

When preparing a message, in the time it would take me to get out of my chair, find a commentary (provided I own it in the first place), and get back to the study, I can flip through a dozen commentaries with Logos! It is the most effective, efficient use of my time to use Logos Bible Software when preparing messages, studying, and I have recently begun to use it with my quiet time with the Lord. The Word Study feature takes the years of Greek and Hebrew I took in seminary and condenses it into an understandable, usable format in seconds—something I could never do with the hard-copy reference books.

[Read more...]

What’s Your Story?

I love reading stories about how people experience Logos Bible Software for the first time. Just yesterday I read a glowing email from a professor who a few months ago had never used Logos and thought it was little more than a collection of PDF-like books. He was absolutely blown away when he first tried Logos and saw its powerful searching abilities and the quality of texts in the particular collection that he got.

We’re going to start a series of posts here on the blog featuring stories like this. In the past we’ve asked you to send your stories to NewsWire@logos.com and promised that if we used yours, we’d give you $100 worth of unlocks as a “thank you.”

If you’ve never told us your story, we’d love to hear from you. Tell us a little about yourself and how and why you use Logos. Include how you found out about Logos and what the main influences were that led you to purchase it. Include anything that makes for a good story. Write it up and send it to NewsWire@logos.com. Your story could be the next one to be featured.

[Read more...]

Logos–Facebook Photo Contest Winners

A week and a half ago we announced the Logos–Facebook Photo Contest and invited you to take pictures of yourself with Logos Bible Software and upload them to Facebook. The response to the contest was super. Nearly 900 new people connected with us on Facebook, and close to 400 photos were uploaded and tagged.

The deadline for entering was Sunday, March 1, but we allowed all photos submitted by the time we picked the winners yesterday afternoon. With so many creative and cool entries, it was very difficult to pick the winner for each category, but here’s what the judges came up with.

[Read more...]

“This is the greatest thing I own.”

Today’s guest post is from Andrew Pritchett, who works in our Ministry Relations department.

Bible Study Library (ND)The other night I had one of the greatest experiences I have had working here at Logos Bible Software. On Tuesday night I stopped by my neighborhood coffee house. As I was waiting I noticed some familiar faces. One of the familiar faces was an older man I had always presumed to be homeless. We’ll call him John. John wore a big white beard, a thick hat, and combat fatigues and carried all of his belongings with him.

As I looked around the room, something caught my eye on John’s computer screen. It was the familiar Passage Guide in Logos. I moved toward him and said, “I like your choice in Bible software.” John smiled and pointed at the logo on my shirt. He said, “This is the greatest thing I own.” I thanked him, and he asked me a quick question about using the Compare Bible Versions tool inside the program. When I asked if he had time for me to update his computer, he said, “This is where I spend my evenings.”

[Read more...]

Logos User Stories

Last week I wrote a post about my Logos epiphany; that moment when I realized I can have my entire theological library with me all the time. Over the week many users posted comments about the time when they had that same realization. Reading the comments, I was deeply encouraged to see how having a Logos library has helped men and women serve their churches, ministries, and communities. Since I know that a lot of people don’t often go back and read comments on old posts, I thought I’d share a couple that really impressed and inspired me.

[Read more...]

Making the Switch to Logos

I read with interest over the last month or so LaRosa Johnson’s 30 Day Challenge. He wanted to see if Logos was best suited to meet his Bible study needs.

In his own words,

The reason that I came up with this challenge is because my needs and wants for Bible software are changing, and doing so rather rapidly. When I first started studying the Bible and using Bible software, I was someone who only occasionally made use of commentaries and dictionaries, but never even dared to try to use the original language tools that I had available. . . . Now that I am actually learning to read the original languages (Greek and Hebrew), my desire to do more with this knowledge has grown tremendously. . . . With these changing needs, I figured that it would be best to evaluate which software applications would be best for making this happen, especially when taking into consideration how I study, where I want to go, and leaving an open door for growth.

What is the 30 day challenge? Well, the challenge is this: my goal is to exclusively use Logos Bible Software for 30 days . . . and see how well I am able to adjust to using their software and see how well it suits my needs.

He journals his progress in these six posts:

1. Logos Bible Software: The 30 Day Challenge
  2. The 30 Day Challenge: The First Few Days
  3. The 30 Day Challenge: More Thoughts
  4. The 30 Day Challenge: Praises and Complaints
  5. The 30 Day Challenge: A Few More Wants and Some Cool Features
  6. The 30 Day Challenge: The Conclusion

At the end, he concludes,

For what I’m trying to do in my personal and academic studies, I have to wholeheartedly admit that Logos is the best application to suit my needs. In doing this challenge, the biggest thing that sold me was the ease at which I was able to study in the original languages.

Hanging Out with Dr. Geisler

Today’s guest blogger is Scott Lindsey, Ministry Relations Director at Logos.
As part of the Ministry Relations team at Logos, I have one of the best jobs on the planet: introducing people to the power of Logos for Bible Study. Last weekend was a milestone in my 10+ years traveling the country teaching at various conferences. I had the privilege of hanging out with Dr. Norman Geisler. Dr. Geisler and I were both speakers a recent set of Code Blue conferences in Springfield, MO and Bentonville, AR.
The first conference was Friday night in Springfield, MO. So the next morning Dr. Geisler and I left for our 3 hour drive to Bentonville, AR, where the next conference was being hosted. And what a drive it was! The countryside was beautiful, the sun was shining, and the conversation was brilliant. Imagine, 3 hours with Dr. Geisler as your passenger! I witnessed the passion of a man who has dedicated his life to the cause of Christ and has been in ministry for half a century.
Dr. Geisler came to know the Lord because of the faithful outreach of a local church in his home town of Warren, MI. His parents weren’t believers yet. Dr. Geisler always felt a desire to know God. Starting at age 9, he rode the church bus over 400 times to Sunday service until, at age 17, he finally yielded to the tugging of God on his heart. The lesson Dr. Geisler learned was, “Don’t give up; it may take 400 sermons!” After conversion, Dr. Giesler jumped immediately into full-time Christian service. Every night there was some type of church activity: door-to-door evangelism, Bible studies, jail ministry, and more. He even met his bride of 51 years while serving in his church; they worked together in the church prison ministry. Dr. Geisler said the expectation back then was, “Get saved; start serving!”
One night while helping out with the local jail ministry, the scheduled preacher didn’t show up due to illness and someone asked Dr. Geisler if he would teach. Dr. Geisler had only known the Lord for 9 weeks yet sheepishly took the microphone, shared from John chapter 3 and gave his testimony. Several gave their lives to Jesus that night, and Dr. Geisler felt the call to ministry.
A few nights later Dr. Geisler was with his youth group doing ministry in an area in Detroit known as Skid Row—this is where the truly down-trodden of the city lived. While witnessing in the streets, Dr. Geisler was confronted by a drunk who grabbed Dr. Geisler’s Bible, opened it to Mark 8:30, and read, “Jesus warned them not to tell ANYONE about Him!” Dr. Geisler was stumped!!! How could he reconcile the Great Commission with this passage of Scripture? He had no answer for this challenge and realized he either needed to get educated about his new faith or stop evangelizing altogether.
Dr. Geisler heard through some friends that Emmaus Bible School had a Bible correspondence course for FOUR DOLLARS. Dr. Geisler tried as hard as he could to explain to me how much money that was back in 1950!!! I have a new perspective now when I purchase my $4 latte at Starbucks. The problem, though, was that Dr. Geisler didn’t have four dollars. Amazingly, the providence of God was revealed when his boss asked him to work a Saturday shift “bunching radishes”—the amount he earned: $4. The exact amount Dr. Geisler needed! Imagine the enthusiasm that day as Dr. Geisler worked on the farm.
This began Dr. Geisler’s amazing educational journey. The remarkable thing for me was discovering that Dr. Geisler didn’t even learn to read until his junior year in high school. His 11th grade teacher was suspect of Dr. Geisler’s reading abilities and asked him one day, “How did ‘A Tale of Two Cities’ end?” As witty as Dr. Geisler is today at 75 years old, the 16-year-old Norman replied, “With a period!” The day concluded with a familiar visit to the principal’s office.
The correspondence program from Emmaus eventually led him to Detroit Bible College (DBC) where he received his first degree. Upon graduation from DBC, Dr. Geisler took his first pastorate at Dayton Center Church in Silverwood, Michigan. Today, the congregation still invites Dr. Geisler to speak when his schedule permits. After pastoring for 3 years at Dayton Center Church, Dr. Geisler realized his “barrel was empty” and he needed more formal education. He enrolled at Wheaton and received his bachelors in philosophy and two years later earned his M.A. in Theology. He received his Th.B. from William Tyndale College in 1964, and his Ph.D. from Loyola in 1970.
I asked him what led the transition from preaching to teaching, and he said that during college and seminary, the students would always come up to him after class and have him explain what the professors were teaching. He simply had a knack for digesting the hefty theology being taught, and this led to his almost 50 years of Christian teaching.
Of all the things I learned about Dr. Geisler during our drive, I was most inspired by his love for his wife and family and continued devotion to the Lord. Every night after dinner, the Geisler family would gather in the living room for their nightly devotions and time of Bible study. From day one, Dr. Geisler and his wife poured a foundation of the Word into their children’s lives—all of whom are serving the Lord today.
We enjoyed a great plate of Fajitas for lunch, and Dr. Geisler refilled my “joke” quiver. I have enough opening jokes to last me 10+ years of conference speaking! He has authored/co-authored 67 books, and I now wonder when the Dr. Norman Geisler joke book will be released. His humor only adds to the uniqueness of this great man. Even after 50+ years of faithful service, he is still excited about life and the Lord.
As I watched Dr. Geisler teach Saturday night in Bentonville to a crowd of over 900, I had a new appreciation for his brilliance. I have taught with Dr. Geisler at many conferences over the years and have had the privilege of learning how to defend the faith because of his scholarship and teaching, but Saturday gave me a new perspective of Dr. Geisler. I realized that he not only knows the Word, but lives it with passion every day!
You may not be aware that we have several of Dr. Geisler’s books available for Libronix. Be sure to check them out!

Dr. Geisler is also a Logos user. Here’s what he has to say about Logos:

Wow! What a great way to get into the Bible. With a whole library at your fingertips and language tools in the palm of your hand, anyone can benefit from Logos Bible Software. Whether someone is a scholar, pastor, Sunday school teacher, or layperson Logos can help them accomplish their academic and spiritual needs. If you are in Seminary or Bible College then you should have this program. Logos is already the standard in Bible software and for good reason—it is simply the best.

Thanks for Being Great Customers!

Today’s guest blogger is Elizabeth Sanborn, a Customer Support representative at Logos.
I’ve been working here at Logos for just over three months, and before I started—I’ll be honest—I was a little scared. Everyone has heard horror stories about customer support, so I was a little nervous about the people I would encounter on the other end of the phone.
However, my experience working here at Logos has been quite the opposite. During my time here, I have met hundreds of wonderfully kind customers, who ask me how I am doing (and care about the answer!) and display the utmost patience with me, especially when I first started working here and was still learning the ropes. I’ve had a variety of great conversations while waiting for computers to reboot, downloads to finish, etc. I’ve even had a customer help me with Christmas gift ideas for my brother. It’s quite encouraging to see Christians act Christ-like, even in the little things of life like customer service. So thanks, customers, for being so fantastic and making the jobs of Logos Customer Support reps such a great experience!