Aquinas’ Catena Aurea: What’s the Big Deal?

The text of this post originated on the Logos Forums. It was written by Rosie Perera, who is a Logos MVP and has great insight on a wide array of topics and issues, both theological and technical. She’s also a friend of mine. Rosie has given me permission to reproduce her forum post here to try to bring some more attention to Community Pricing — a great way to get cheap books — and to highlight one of those presently very, very cheap books that may soon be a bit more expensive: Catena Aurea: Commentary on the Four Gospels by Thomas Aquinas (8 vols). Here’s Rosie:

Now that the George Müller collection is on its way, Catena Aurea is the next great buy in Community Pricing. With current bidding going as it has been, it looks like this gem will be available for $20 or less. We’re getting close to 80% of production cost.

Community Pricing is an awesome way to get works for the least expensive price imaginable. For example, the Müller collection went for $15 in community pricing, and pre-pub is now $79.95; sale price once it ships will be $129.95. And the nice hardback edition of Müller on Amazon.com costs $139.95.

[Read more...]

Getting the Most Out of the Forums

If you’ve never explored the Logos Bible Software Forums, you’re missing out on a lot of great interaction with other Logos users. Since we launched the site in June, we’ve had more than 10,000 people join and write almost 53,000 posts. We have forums for general discussion, Logos 4, Logos 4 for Mac, Logos 3, Logos for Mac 1, our iPhone app, making suggestions, Español, posting files, and getting help with RefTagger. There are always lots of informative (and lively!) discussions going on.

As we pointed out a couple of weeks ago, the forums are one of the best ways to get answer to your questions fast—especially during this very busy time with the launch of Logos 4 when our phones are ringing off the hook.

But the forums aren’t just for finding answers to questions. They’re also a wonderful place for meeting and interacting with people from all over the country and the world who enjoy studying the Bible as much as you do.

Whether you’re looking to get answers to questions or just want to join a community of people who love doing Bible study with Logos Bible Software, you’ll get the most out of the forums by spending a few minutes getting set up properly. Here are some of the things I’d recommend.

[Read more...]

Show Us Your Best Logos 4 Videos

In Ryan’s helpful post yesterday, he forgot to mention the one other helpful source of information about Logos 4—the growing number of user-created videos showing Logos 4 in action. Even if you’ve already watched our demo video and all our training videos, you’ll definitely want to check out what some of our users have put together.

[Read more...]

Get Answers to Your Questions Fast…

…use the Logos Community Forums!

With the launch of our most significant product ever—Logos Bible Software 4—there are bound to be some questions. As you can imagine, our phone lines are busier than ever with excited callers trying to either order the brand new collections, upgrade to the new packages, or get answers to some very common questions on this completely “new to everyone” product.

We’ve tried to answer some of the most common questions on our product pages, in our Technical FAQ, and in our General FAQ. As always, we are happy to try to answer any other questions you may have over the phone, but our lines are so busy right now (even with extended hours until 9:00 PM Pacific, additional staffing, and lots of overtime) that wait times are much longer than normal.

[Read more...]

An Interview with Professor Carl Bosma

Carl BosmaEnglish cleric and writer Charles Colton said, “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.” In this high-tech culture Colton’s aphorism might be updated to “Fidelity is the sincerest form of flattery.” Running into those true believers who use, love and cannot help but spread the word about Logos Bible Software is always flattering.

Meet Carl Bosma, ordained in the Christian Reformed Church in North America, church planter, leadership developer with Christian Reformed World Missions, Professor of Biblical studies at Seminario Presbiteriano do Sul, Sao Paulo, Brazil, Associate Professor of Old Testament at Calvin Theological Seminary, Th.D. candidate and Logos Bible Software user. In fact, Mr. Bosma wrote a very thorough and impressive manual for Libronix 3.0 that, although Logos wasn’t affiliated with, those of us who have perused it were very impressed.

I touched base with Prof. Bosma recently to get more information about this huge project:

[Read more...]

Logos Bible Software for Mobile Devices?

Logos Bible Software Mobile

With the launch of the brand new Logos Bible Software Community Forums we have been seeing a bit of discussion on the topic of Logos Bible Software for mobile devices and ebook readers.

From multi-function devices like iPhone, Google Android, Blackberry, and Windows Mobile to dedicated readers like Amazon’s Kindle, we think we have an idea of what people like—but before heading off in the wrong direction we wanted to hear from you too!

Since the forums are relatively new and haven’t been discovered by most of our users yet, we wanted to bring the topic to the forefront with an open survey on Logos Bible Software for Mobile Devices to get as much feedback from as many people as possible.

[Read more...]

Mark Driscoll’s Mouth Has Been Open a Lot

As Driscoll points out in the video below, whether you enjoy his teaching or you just want to criticize him efficiently and effectively, in a footnoted way . . . this is a great way to access his stuff!

The Mark Driscoll Sermon Archive contains nearly ten years of preaching and teaching by Mark Driscoll, the Preaching and Theology Pastor of Mars Hill Church in Seattle, Washington.

In this massive archive, the transcriptions of his audio sermons preached at Mars Hill Church, which work through fifteen books of the Bible and cover scores of topical issues, and at well over one hundred conferences around the U.S. and world will be made available for reading, searching, and study. That’s ten years worth of preaching and teaching from one of today’s most influential and provocative pastors now available in the most advanced digital format anywhere!

[Read more...]

Join Us at the New Logos Bible Software Forums

Since 2002 we’ve had an active group of users on our newsgroups. After much deliberation we’ve decided that it’s time to make the switch to web forums. We’ve been testing them with a small group for a couple of weeks, and now we’re ready to invite you to come join the discussions at the new Logos Bible Software Forums.

[Read more...]

Logos User Survey

We do our best to listen to our users through a variety of channels: comments you leave here on the blog, emails you send to suggest@logos.com, suggestions you share in our newsgroups—and now in our new web forums—and many more. We read all user feedback and make sure it gets to the appropriate department for consideration. Some of our best ideas come from our users.

Thank you for letting your voice be heard. Listening to what you want helps us to provide you with the best Bible software in the world.

[Read more...]

Seminary Professor Switches to Logos and Loves It

Jeff Straub, a seminary professor at Central Baptist Theological Seminary in Plymouth, Minnesota, shares in two posts how he’s made (and continues to make) the transition from a print library to a digital library with Logos Bible Software and why he loves it.

It was a hard sell for me. After more than 25 years in ministry, tirelessly searching for books anywhere they might be found, hoping against hope to find good books at cheap prices, I finally switched . . . to a digital library . . . to Logos. And I love it! I travel a bit, sometimes overseas, and I love the portability of my digital library.

He goes on to talk about the “back-breaking task” of moving more than 100 heavy boxes of books to Minneapolis. I remember doing the same thing about a year and a half ago, but thankfully with only 40 boxes.

On the bright side, at least Jeff discovered Logos before his next move, and at least he didn’t have as big of a print library as Rousas Rushdoony did. According to Wikipedia, Rushdoony had more than 60,000 books in his personal library (and read nearly half of them). Imagine what 1,600 boxes of books would do to your back!

Find out more about why Jeff is lovin’ Logos in these two posts: