Free Book on Dietrich Bonhoeffer!

BonhoefferDietrich Bonhoeffer was among the most interesting, inspiring people you’ll ever read about. Not only was he a theologian, a poet, a secret-service double agent, a musician, and one of the most famous martyrs of the twentieth century—he also played a role in the famous “July 20″ plot to assassinate Adolf Hitler.

And through March 31, you can get Bonhoeffer for Armchair Theologians for free!

The making of a martyr

In the wake of World War I, the Germans were desperate for a strong, proud leader who would guide Germany to economic and social recovery. When the enigmatic Hitler became chancellor and later dictator, much of Germany embraced his ambitious vision. But not everyone was fooled. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, a gifted pianist who, despite his aristocratic family’s wishes, became a minister and theologian, was determined to remove the Nazis from power—even if it killed him.

Nothing—not even Hitler’s suffocating grip on civil liberties—could stop Bonhoeffer from preaching the truth. After being banned from openly teaching, Bonhoeffer worked in an underground ministry. After his ministry was discovered and the church became terrified to speak out against Hitler, Bonhoeffer joined the German secret service as a double agent, helping Jews escape Nazi oppression. He even turned down the chance to seek refuge in America, where he was touring as a guest lecturer, writing:

“I have made a mistake in coming to America. I must live through this difficult period in our national history with the Christian people of Germany. I will have no right to participate in the reconstruction of Christian life in Germany after the war if I do not share the trials of this time with my people.”

On April 5, 1943, after returning to Germany, Boenhoeffer was arrested for his resistance efforts. He spent the next year and half incarcerated, and was later moved to Buchenwald. Even while imprisoned, Bonhoeffer continued ministering and developing his theology, much of which is documented in his Letters and Papers from Prison.

On April 9, 1945, one month before Germany surrendered, Bonhoeffer was hanged. A witness said he approached the gallows “brave and composed” and kneeled on the floor “praying fervently to his God.” Even at the precipice of certain death, Bonhoeffer’s faith never wavered.

Get a free book on BonhoefferBonhoeffer for Armchair Theologians

Learn more about Bonhoeffer’s extraordinary life and theology with March’s Free Book of the Month: Bonhoeffer for Armchair Theologians, which offers dozens of illustrations and insights into Bonhoeffer’s background and legacy.

Through March 31, get Bonhoeffer for Armchair Theologians for free! Then share this blog post to tell your friends and family about this amazing, limited-time opportunity.

P.S. You can learn more about Bonhoeffer’s life and theology from the man himself. Explore Bonhoeffer’s works on Logos.com.

Comments

1. Faith Hope Cherrytea says:

so I'm trying to enjoy the new #FREE DB book, but wondering how to access?
    checkout asks for a non existent code, then a credit card form [which I don't have nor should I need] and no getting past that point in the process….
    soooo -
    where is a link to access my #FREE offer ?
    thanks ?

2. Ronald Paul Wilson says:

i'm trying to get this free book, but the store wants my credit card and billing address for a cart that totals $0.00. why do i have to give logos my credit card for a free item?

3. Steve A. Boyd says:

Just continue with the "check-out" process as though you were purchasing the book. You can see the total price is $00.00. There will be no charge for this resource.

4. Steve A. Boyd says:

5. Ronald Paul Wilson says:

Steve A. Boyd it won't let me proceed without typing in a credit card and i don't want to provide a card number for a free item.

6. I would like the free book please. Just down load it to me. Thank you

7. Ronald Paul Wilson That is the way they do it. I have never had a problem with Logos…But you will have to make that call.

8. Just like faith without works is dead; so is your desire for a free book without following the directions :)

9. Ronald Paul Wilson says:

Thanks for the help guys, but i consider this to be more of a bug report. There is a bug in the checkout process if a payment method is required to acquire something that is free. I understand that no funds will be taken from my account, but the principle is still broken. It would be as if Christ, though offering salvation as a free gift, still demanded that we first demonstrate the ability to pay on our own before applying that free gift of salvation to us.

10. I fully understand the directions, :) I don't understand the need to supply personal credit card data for a free offer. Could there be charges for shipping & handling that isn't stated in the beginning offer?

11. John Owens says:

It's a download – there is no shipping. I've gotten scores of free books from Logos and Vyrso; my credit card is on every one of them. I'm never charged anything. I have never had any sort of problem in dealing with Logos.

12. Frank Payne says:

I believe the system is set up primarily to reward people who want to invest in their library. The feeling is most likely that you will be more likely to buy products throughout the year if your info is on file and all it takes is a simple click of a button. I've been a Logos user for many years and had the same misgivings at first, but in my estimation, Logos is beyond reproach. If giving them that number gets me free books, that works for me. It has given me free books from Logos, Vyrso and opened my awareness to books I would not ordinarily have been exposed to, which I HAVE purchased since with a simple click of the button. If your real concern is the lack of self control you may have knowing you have instant access to any book they offer, then by all means, free books are probably not for you. ;)

13. It's no different than other sites where you make frequent purchases. You store your credit card number so that you don't have to do it every time you purchase. With Logos there is a free book every month. You also use it the same way if you purchase a book or set of books.

14. Jeff Lisa Beard says:

I've also down loaded free monthly books. There is no charge to your CC. No shipping; nothing. Put your CC info in and it will proceed and download automatically next time you open your Logos library. If you do have a problem they will correct it, the customer service of Logos is outstanding. Integrity is their middle name. I've been a logos member going back to their 3 1/2 discs. No complaints or regrets. Enjoy and learn.

15. This is one of the most AMAZING Logos freebies ever!

16. Augusto says:

Just to remember to every one that have some difficulties with Logos, it’s not a christian organization, it’s a biblical industry.

17. I gave them an old VISA gift card number that I got as a Christmas present. It only has, like, 75 cents left on it. LOL Stick it to the man!

18. Dean Daniels says:

That is common practice – you don't get something for nothin' – they are getting your credit card number to track other information, other purchases and as a way to get sales pitches to you later. It is worth it to them.

19. I just added Logos to my computer through my school. but I'm not quite sure how it works. Maybe you can givee some tips.