Logos 5: Locate Specific Charts and Tables

Today’s post is from Morris Proctor, certified and authorized trainer for Logos Bible Software. Morris, who has trained thousands of Logos users at his two-day Camp Logos seminars, provides many training materials.

A Logos user recently emailed me this question:

I was wanting to find a chart that shows all the kings of Israel and Judah, along with the prophets who were active during the reign of each king. How would I search for something like that?

To locate such charts, I suggest using the Logos image search:

• Click the Search icon.
  • Select Image as the search type (A).
  • Select Entire Library from the range dropdown list (B).
  • Click the fields dropdown list, which probably says All Images (C).

• Select desired fields, such as ChartsInfographicsTable, and Timelines (D).

• Type this text in the find box: king prophet (E).

• Click the search panel menu (F).
  • Select Match all word forms (G).

• Press Enter to generate the search.

This search locates all the designated images containing both the words king(s) AND prophet(s) (H)!

Comments

1. I followed these instructions step by step. Then I checked to make sure I own The Bible Knowledge Commentary. My search did not bring up this chart.

2. I had the same problem, then I added an "s" to make the two terms plural. It worked.

3. Thomas Wm Winter What I get is a chart of the history of English Bible translations from Harper's Bible Dictionary. It says: Library Results: 15 results in 12 articles in 6 resources. But the only one I can see and click on is the history of English Bible translations. It may be something else is going on here, than a problem with search results, but rather with seeing the results.

4. I have had Logos 5 for about a year, never have I be so hungry to learn the usuage of this program. How can you help me to start from the very FOUNDATION/BEGINNING?
    THIS IS MY FIRST ATTEMPT TO EMAIL.

• Tayler Beede says:

Hi Emmanuel,

Camp Logos would be a great place to start: https://www.logos.com/product/31475/camp-logos-dvd-rom

• Robert Warmath says:

For a much more economical way to learn the software, go to learnlogos.com by John Fallahee. You can order CDs or download step by step videos for a fraction of the cost of the seminars and go through them at home on your own schedule. John also puts together specific videos to show how to study specific topics that are excellent. Its a powerful software, but a tool is only good if you know the best way to use it.

5. Did you tick off "Match all word forms"? I initially forgot to do this and came up with 0 results.

6. Carmen Gauvin I did tick off "Match all word forms" and I've tried it with the search terms in both the singular and the plural form. The results line says I have 12 hits in 6 different resources, but I only see one hit in one resource in the list in the results pane. I've put this up on Logos 5 Forum.

7. Mark Smith says:

> I would be nice if the search terms could be "fuzzier", that is, if plural forms could be included from the root form.<
    Did you skip steps F & G in Morris' instruction?

8. Why Yes, it appears I did. Thank you for showing me. I skimmed instead of reading carefully. This will be a great help in the future! Thanks again.

9. Mark Smith No, I didn't miss steps F and G. But I just now carefully repeated all the steps again. I get Library Results: 8 results in 8 articles in 5 resources (3.90 sec). Below that the thumbnail for the history of the English Bible from Harper's Bible Dictionary appears, just like the first icon in the example Morris Proctor showed. Below that the results pane is blank and empty.

10. Lynwood F. Mundy says:

This is great for all that studies, teaches and preach. Thanks Mr. Proctor again for your research knowledge and making it very simply to comprehend.

11. Mark Smith says:

Arnet Mathers I am getting the table to come up so don't know why you might be having trouble. Could you try running the search on just the BKC? Quick way is to open it and then in the search menu select just the BKC to search.

12. Mark Smith When I limit the search to BKC it says Library Results: 1 result in 1 article (2.21 sec).
    But no link or icon to click on to open the resource is there. It makes no difference whether the arrow left of "Library Results" points down for expanded or right for collapsed. No links to click on show up.

13. DeWayne Whitaker says:

I really needed this last semester… man…

14. Mark Smith Here is a video of my attempts to duplicate this search.

15. Linda Ferguson says:

Now how can I print out the table?

16. Also, Logos has loaded some of their basic instructional videos. Great start and free.