Logos 5: Use Clause Search to Find the Objects of Jesus’ Love

Today’s post is from Morris Proctor, certified and authorized trainer for Logos Bible Software. Morris, who has trained thousands of Logos users at his two-day Camp Logos seminars, provides many training materials.

Imagine that you’re studying John 11:5—in which John declares that Jesus loved Martha, Mary, and Lazarus—and you ask yourself, Who else does the NT record as an object of Jesus’ love? You’ll be happy to know that discovering the answer is simple with a Clause Search:

• Click the Search icon to open the search panel.
  • Select Clause as the search type. (Note: Clause Search doesn’t appear in the Starter and Bronze base packages.) (A).
  • Select All Passages from the range dropdown list (B).
  • Select the SBLGNT from the Bible dropdown list (C).
  • Select Subject and English Verb from the list of search helps (D).

• Notice that this query appears in the Find box: subject:A Man verb:to bury (E).

• Replace A Man with Jesus in the Find box (F).
  • Replace bury with love in the Find box (G).

• The final query looks like this: subject:Jesus verb:to love
  • Press the Enter key to generate the search.

You just located the places in the New Testament where the person Jesus (regardless of the words used to designate him) is the subject of a clause, and the verb is a Greek word translated as some form of the English word love(H).

If you know a little Greek, try this:

• Select Subject and Greek Verb from the list of search helps (I).
  • Remove the Greek word from the Find box (J).

• Begin typing this transliteration in the place of the removed Greek word: agap (K).
  • Select the search string that appears in the dropdown list (L).
  • Press the Enter key to generate the search.

Now you’ve located the places in the New Testament where the person Jesus (regardless of the words used to designate him) is the subject of a clause, and the verb is a form of the Greek lemma agapao(M).

Not on Facebook? Leave a Comment

11 Responses to “Logos 5: Use Clause Search to Find the Objects of Jesus’ Love”

1. David Peterson October 21, 2013 at 7:27 pm #

I tried this several times and several different ways and it did not work. I would get “Analysis 0 results (0.04 sec)”

Any ideas, anyone?

• Thomas Finnegan October 22, 2013 at 11:43 am #

Did the first search using Subject and English verb work? If it did, highlight the entire Search box contents and delete before continuing to the Subject and Greek verb. After deleting the Greek word, the drop down list gets smaller (less entries) as you type agap and then you can just select the last dropdown item.

• David Peterson October 23, 2013 at 4:06 am #

Thank you for your suggestion. I tried it again. I started a fresh instance of Logos Bible Software opened up the ESV and clicked on the search icon. I then clicked on “Clause” and typed “subject:Jesus verb:to love in the search box. The result return “ANALYSIS 0 results (0.03 sec)”. I am at a loss as to why the Clause Search is not working.

• Thomas E. Finnegan October 23, 2013 at 5:28 am #

David, you are selecting The Greek New Testament:SBL Edition in the Search Clauses in ALL PASSAGES in THE GREEK NEW TESTAMENT:SBL EDITION line, correct?

• Ed Hatch October 23, 2013 at 11:17 am #

Try clicking on a bold category under “Search Helps.” I had a similar problem, but when I clicked on the bold category and then replaced either the English or Greek word, it worked for me.

2. Leonard Reimer October 22, 2013 at 2:04 pm #

Tried doing this several different ways as well and not always with good results, i.e. subject:Jesus verb:to be at peace
    It seems it should find verses in John 14, 20 & etc. Right? But it finds 0 results. Am I doing something wrong?

3. Thomas Finnegan October 23, 2013 at 11:54 am #

You mention the ESV, you are using The Greek New Testament:SBL Edition in the Search Clauses line, correct?

• David Peterson October 23, 2013 at 3:24 pm #

Yes I am using The Greek New Testament:SBL Edition for the search, the Clause search give me the Greek and Lexham Hebrew Bible options only.

Thanks for working with my on this.

The software I am running as displayed on my About Logos:
      Logos Bible Software 5.1b SR-2 (5.1.2.0083)
      Copyright 2000–2013 Logos Bible Software
      Licensed to: dmpete316@gmail.com (Minimal v.5 (IH))

Would this be the correct version?

• Thomas E. Finnegan October 23, 2013 at 4:18 pm #

I think that explains it, MY About Logos says:
        Logos Bible Software 5.1b SR-2 (5.1.2.0083)
        Copyright 2000–2013 Logos Bible Software
        Licensed to: ThomFinn@aol.com (Bronze v.5 (IH))

I think you have to be at the Bronze base package — I also bought the upgrade with the Timeline and Bible datasets that made the Clause Search work with my Camp Logos DVD’s.

4. Peter Gadsby October 23, 2013 at 3:33 pm #

I notice that both in the Greek and English searches, this syntax lists Eph.1:6 in the results.
    εἰς ἔπαινον δόξης τῆς χάριτος αὐτοῦ ἧς ἐχαρίτωσεν ἡμᾶς ἐν τῷ ἠγαπημένῳ
    (Holmes, M. W. (2010). The Greek New Testament: SBL Edition (Eph 1:6). Logos Bible Software.)
    Seems to me that here τῷ ἠγαπημένῳ is a reference to the Lord Jesus as beloved of God (or possibly, of us). That doesn’t seem consistent with the search criterion of Jesus as the subject.

5. Rob October 28, 2013 at 3:41 pm #

I have tried a similar search, to find instances of Scripture talking about praying to Jesus and praying to the Holy Spirit (as compared to praying to the Father). I could get results but not one I was aware of. Here was search criteria I tried, with results:

object: holy spirit verb:to pray results: 0
    object: Jesus verb: to pray results: 0
    subject: anyone

But the latter search should have found Acts 7:59 in which Stephen prays to Jesus.

subject: a person object: Jesus results: 10 but did not include Acts 7:59 mentioned above.