Archibald Alexander, born April 17, 1772, was an American Presbyterian theologian and Princeton Theological Seminary’s first professor of theology. Over the course of his 79 years, he contributed greatly to the world with his wisdom and theology.
Here are some of his noteworthy quotes:
- “No one was ever saved because his sins were small; no one was ever rejected on account of the greatness of his sins. Where sin abounded, grace shall much more abound.” (Practical Truths p. 164)
- “God has set before you an open door which no man has a right or power to shut. If you should be shut out, it will be by your own unbelief, and not for want of a warrant to come. Enter, then, without delay or hesitation. None can less afford to delay than the aged sinner. Now is the time. Now or never. You have, as it were, one foot already in the grave. Your opportunities will soon be over. Strive, then, I entreat you, to enter in at the strait gate.” (Practical Truths p. 166)
- “But however long you may have continued in rebellion, and how ever black and long the catalog of your sins, yet if you will now turn to God by a sincere repentance, and believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, you shall not be cast out.” (Practical Truths p. 165)
- “God is not glorified in any transaction upon earth so much as in the conversion of a sinner.” (Practical Truths p. 174)
- “If you were not a sinful, polluted, helpless, and miserable creature, this Saviour would not be suited to you, and you would not be comprehended in his gracious invitations to the children of men.” (Practical Truths p. 167)
- “There is but one step to be taken, strictly speaking, in coming to Christ, and that is believing in him with all the heart. We are not required to repent and do good works before we come, but to come to him to give us repentance unto life, and to create us anew to good works.” (Practical Truths p. 178)
Celebrate Alexander’s birthday by learning more about him. Save $50 on the Archibald Alexander Collection (with coupon code ARCHIBALD) and $100 on the Princeton’s Theology Collection (with coupon code PRINCETON13)—today only.
All quotes from Alexander, Archibald. Practical Truths. New York: The American Tract Society, 1851.