Logos High 5: What’s Your Favorite Bible Translation?

We asked our Facebook fans which Bible translation they prefer and received nearly 300 replies. After tallying the top five choices, we want to know what you think.

Vote on the Logos High 5 to tell us which Bible translation is your favorite!*

We know there are different versions of (and revisions to) many of these translations. You might love the original New American Standard Bible more than the 1995 update. We’re keeping it simple; a vote for the New American Standard Bible is a vote for either edition of this work.

We still have our most popular Bibles (including the Logos High 5 translations) available for only $10. Pick one up today!

Which is your preferred Bible translation?

Want to make a case for your favorite High 5 translation or tell us which other translation should have made the top five? Leave us a comment.

*We launched this post earlier today and were running into problems with the polling plugin. If you voted earlier, you will need to vote again. We are terribly sorry for any inconvenience.

Comments

1. I guess Lance voted for me, because I could see the percentages when I opened the post, and I didn’t vote.

2. My favorite is the New King James Version and I have used it for the past 12 years in ministry. I like the NASB and the ESV but only preach and teach from NKJV to be consistent week in and week out.

3. Dan MaNDERY says:

I use the NET bible in conjunction with the ESV for study, and I carry the NKJV.

4. MJ Smith says:

Actually, you forced me to lie. True answer: For study I prefer the NRSV (as I voted) or the JPS depending upon the passage, for worship I use the NAB, for personal reading it’s a toss up between the Jerusalem Bible and the Community Bible. I think that makes 5 number 1 favorites.

5. You only gave one option for NIV, but *which* NIV is key. I personally prefer Today’s NIV over the NIV 1984 and the NIV 2011.

6. Rev. Dr. K Rober Schmitt says:

One other translation I have found very useful for ‘preaching purposes’ has been God’s Word translation. It’s stated purpose is to create a text not for individual reading or study but for oral presentation. It often is a good text to include as an alternate to enliven the strick word for word NRSV or NASB both of those translations work to be faithful to the original texts and ‘each Greek or Hebrew word’. Finally some of the other translations are very good for other ‘age groups’ like youth, the ESV and GNB come to mind as helpful for confirmation age youth.

7. For just reading I like to use the New English Translation. For studying I like NASB, ESV, and KJ.

8. You are very unfair by not adding the HCSB and perhaps the NKJV. The best is the Holman Christian Standard Bible. Their study Bille is very good as well. If one is Reformed in his theology, then the ESV and that study Bible mght be of his choosing, though the ESV tends not to be biased, the study Bible is. However, the HCSB is by far the best. When will you add the Greek and Hebrew to the HCSB? Phill Mosher, a very long time userb of Logos.

9. Tom Ross says:

I use all but the KJV in your list of five. My Presbyterian congregation uses the NRSV. While I don’t agree with every word choice they have made from the Greek, it is very readable as a narrative. I like the inclusive language in most cases. For study I use the UBS4 and NASB.

10. Glad to know that formal equivalent versions still rate well (so far) with citizens of Logos-land.

11. Peter Junor says:

I grew up with the GNT (first) & subsequently the NIV. I tend to recall most scripture, firstly in NIV – a bit like a ‘mother tongue’. I don’t use either very much these days.

I like the NKJV for accuracy & the beauty of its language – attention to detail & technical detail in study
    But when I need to be pastored to, or am trying to ‘grasp’ the NLT and The Message have blessed me on many occassions for meditation and ministry

12. You need to add the New King James Version.

13. Gregorio Billikopf says:

My second choice is ASV for Old Testament
    I also appreciate Amplified
    Absolute favorite is KJV (both old and new covenants)

14. Paul Tanner says:

For sure you should have had the NKJV. You could have a catgory that is KJV/NKJV (to cover both). But the NKJV follows the same textual theory of manuscripts but is much superior to the KJV in taking into account advancements in lexicography, etc.

15. Ron Rudolph says:

Jonathan Mitchell’s New Testament Translation

Here is a web site where it can be fond:

Ron

16. mark a. fischer says:

I use the KJV always, & refer to the NASB(1977) sometimes.