Logos 4: Graph Bible Search Results

Today’s post is from Morris Proctor, certified and authorized trainer for Logos Bible Software. Morris has trained thousands of Logos users at his two-day Camp Logos seminars and provides many training materials.

mp|seminars Tips

The old adage, “a picture is worth a thousand words”, may partially be true with Logos Bible searching. To find out what I mean try this:

• Click the Search icon to open the Search panel
  • Select Bible as the search type
  • Set from the drop down lists the New Testament in the ESV to be searched
  • Type hope in the Find box
  • Make sure Match all word forms on the search panel menu is NOT checked
  • Press the Enter key to generate the search results which should be 74 results in 68 verses
  • Click Graph results on the Search panel’s toolbar which opens the Graph Bible Search Results (GBSR) panel
  • Select Number of hits in book from the drop  down list on the GBSR panel
  • Select a “graph” such as Column Chart from the bottom of the GBSR panel

GraphBibleSearchResults.png

Notice how the book of Romans stands out on the chart! Does this say anything about hope in Romans? Perhaps.

Try selecting different types of hits from the drop down list and different graphs from the bottom of the panel, to produce hopefully insightful search results.

What word do you think has the most interesting graph? Leave a comment and let us know!

11 Responses to “Logos 4: Graph Bible Search Results”

1. David Bayne January 16, 2012 at 12:50 pm #

I can choose Number of Hits in Book/Number of Words in Book in Bar Chart and Column Chart – but not in Pie Chart. How can I get this? Because it shows a quite different picture (eg Romans vs 2 & # Jn)

• Chris Hartman January 16, 2012 at 7:05 pm #

If understand your question correctly, I think you have to hover your cursor over the pie piece and the count will appear for you. Hope that helps.

2. Jack Hairston January 16, 2012 at 3:44 pm #

This is a cool feature, but not one that I would use.
    What would really help is to build all Notes functions in L4 to work like L3.

3. Dave H. January 16, 2012 at 9:39 pm #

Using this same word search method, could a person find out what is the most used/most common word in a specific book of the Bible? For example, what is the most used word in 1John? And how many times it appears compared to how many times other common words are used in 1John. Just wondering… Thanks.

4. Rick Venable January 17, 2012 at 9:01 am #

Thanks for the information. Please note that the chart displayed on your webpage is for both the Old and New Testaments. You might want to revise your webpage.

5. Bob Fuller January 17, 2012 at 11:30 am #

I cannot find a drop down box that includes a “number of hits in book” option.

• Bob Fuller January 24, 2012 at 11:00 am #

I finally found that if I selected the column chart first, I then got the “number of hits in book” option.

6. Robert January 20, 2012 at 7:41 am #

My “graph results” is grayed out, is there a reason? I am using the most current release : OL.

Thanks

• Robert January 20, 2012 at 7:46 am #

ok, i figured it out, you need to make sure it is on ‘verses’, i had it set to ‘analysis’(prior work).

7. Ron January 21, 2012 at 9:19 am #

Ok, what am I doing wrong?
    I type in the search box and get nothing describing the directions. I type bible, new testament books are listed, not the choice above.

• Ron January 21, 2012 at 10:31 am #

Cancel cancel cancel
      I did it. Wow, what a powerful tool. I am putting this in the front of my tool belt.