Logos 4: Create a Chronological Bible Reading Plan

Today’s post is from Morris Proctor, certified and authorized trainer for Logos Bible Software. Morris has trained thousands of Logos users at his two-day Camp Logos training seminars and provides many training materials.

mp|seminars Tips

As you perhaps know, Logos allows us to create reading plans for any book in our libraries, with the most popular being a plan to read through the Bible. People often email asking if it’s possible to create a chronological Bible reading plan, that is, they want to read the biblical events in the order that they actually happened. If you would like such a plan, here’s how to create it:

• Choose File | Reading Plan
  • Name the plan something like Chronological Bible Reading Plan
  • Select a Bible (from the drop down list) on which to base the plan
  • Click the passage drop down list where you select the range of Scripture to be included in the plan
  • Copy / Paste the biblical references from this text file into the New reference range box
    Hint: Press Ctrl + A (PC) or Cmd + A (Mac) to select all text, then copy / paste like normal
  • Name this range by typing in the Title box something like Chronological
  • Click Save
  • Select from the drop down lists the frequency and start / stop times for the plan
  • Click Go to create the plan

This Chronological Bible Reading Plan will now be displayed in the ribbon of the Home Page!

Learn many more powerful features about your Logos Bible Software at Camp Logos. If you can’t attend a camp, check out our print and video training resources.

How has reading the Bible in chronological order helped your Bible study? Leave a comment and let us know!

22 Responses to “Logos 4: Create a Chronological Bible Reading Plan”

1. Wesley Mullen November 8, 2011 at 6:54 am #

I tried to create a chronological bibe reading plan. I am reading The Story and thought it would be a good companion. there must be a hidden or obvious step I am missing. I would appreciate some more specifics on setting up the Chronological reading plan. Thank you
    wes

• Rick Hunter November 10, 2011 at 6:07 pm #

Wes,
      Has anyone responded to your post a couple of days ago? Where are you getting hung up? I’m not with Logos, but am willing to help if you still need it.
      One thing I found is there are two readings of Jude, one prior to Ruth. After looking over the reading, I saw that needs to be changed to Judges. Copy the reading list and then save it to your own text file on your computer. If you have any other questions, email me and I will attempt to give you a hand.
      Sincerely,
      Rick Hunter

• Wesley Mullen November 11, 2011 at 1:52 pm #

Thank you for resoonding. I do not blog very often. I tried to follow the instruction several times and i must be missing something. I am reading The Story enjoying it and thought a chronological companion would be good. I enjoy using Logos for SS class but sometimes feel that I flunked out of Camp Logos.
        I APPRECIATE YOUR OFFER TO HELP

• Deborah November 11, 2011 at 3:47 pm #

Wes,
          I work for MPSeminars, what steps of creating the Chronological Reading Plan is it that you are getting hung up on? I’ll be glad to help you figure the steps out.
          Deborah

• Rick Hunter November 11, 2011 at 7:56 pm #

Deborah,
            May I make a suggestion. Correct the text file. There are two Judes in the list. The one just prior to Ruth should be Judges.
            Rick Hunter

• Wesley Mullen November 12, 2011 at 8:13 am #

Thank you for your offer to help. Step 4 seems to fall apart. I suspect this my require a higher version than the one i am running.

• Wesley Mullen November 15, 2011 at 1:55 pm #

I have not given up trying to create a chronological bible. if is not possible please let me know.when i try to choose a bible from the drop down list my entire library drops down. I have chosen several different translations ie ESV, ncv, nkj.when i go to the nxt drop down list “this text file is not an option. i have seven options plus pre-defined M’Cheyne
            new ref range title as well as a save button there does not seem to be any thing active to copy and paste into the new reference range.i tried the hintnothing happened. i have the leader edition is that not an option on that program?
            wes

• Rick Hunter November 11, 2011 at 7:54 pm #

1. Choose File | Reading Plan

2. Name the plan something like Chronological Bible Reading Plan

3. Select a Bible (from the drop down list) on which to base the plan – the Bible selection is right below “Export to Outlook” and right after “Read”.

4. Click the passage drop down list where you select the range of Scripture to be included in the plan. Click on “this text file” to bring up a link to the chronological bible references. Since the text file listed below is not correct, follow the commands listed below in the hint to select all of the text, paste it as a text file in Notepad. At that point correct the “Jude” reference prior to Ruth to “Judges”. Then recopy the entire text and paste it in the “New reference range”. Then give it a title as seen in step 6 in the “Title box” and Save it.
          5. Copy / Paste the biblical references from this text file into the New reference range box
          6. Name this range by typing in the Title box something like Chronological
          7. Click Save

8. Select from the drop down lists the frequency and start / stop times for the plan – select your frequency and select when you want to start the plan and end the plan. Then click “Go”.
          9. Click Go to create the plan

Wesley,
          I took their bullet plan, changed the bullets to numbers and attempted to add my explanations to what they were saying. I hope this helps.

• Wesley Mullen November 12, 2011 at 7:40 am #

Again I appreciate your help. things fall apart in step 4.
            the option “this text file” is not an option. CTRL + A nothing happens at all.

there is nothing to copy and paste in the main screen titled read in one year.
            searching the library the word chronological has no resource.
            I am using the leader edition which may not include all options.
            wes

• Brian Bunn November 14, 2011 at 11:45 pm #

I cannot find this text file. What do I do now?

Thanks

• Doug December 21, 2011 at 5:32 am #

Ok, at first these steps actually confused me at step 4 as well. But I figured out what they meant, so here’s an attempt at clarification.

I also thought step 4 meant there would be a “this text file” option within Logos, but they mean the link within this article. They’re just trying to get you to copy the contents of the linked text file into your system “clipboard” so that you can paste it into Logos. Instead, you can do that before even step 1.

When you click on the “passages” drop-down in Logos New Reading Plan (the link right beside the Bible version), you’ll paste the copied text into the “New Reference Range” text field at the bottom.

2. George Steinert November 9, 2011 at 10:44 am #

This is a great feature. Thanks for the tip, Morris. I found and corrected the “Jude” typo; no problem. I set up the schedule for every weekday. When exporting to Outlook calendar, however, the resulting appointment reminder only appeared on Mondays!?! Nevertheless, I’m happy with being able to customize a reading schedule like this. Thank you!

3. Dennis Caldwell November 10, 2011 at 4:41 am #

AWESOME!!! Just what I’ve been looking for! Thank You!

4. Scott Groethe November 16, 2011 at 1:22 am #

I went to the Michael Coley plan

and copied and pasted the text into notepad then excel, stripped out the Genre and Days of the Week rows and the Week # column and made a reading plan. The first few entries are

Romans 1-2; Genesis 1-3; Joshua 1-5; Psalms 1-2; Job 1-2; Isaiah 1-6;

The first two days were displayed correctly but on day 3 it combined Jos 1-5 and Psa 1-2 and day four was Job 1-2 and Isa 1-4. What mistakes are there in the entries?

• Scott Groethe November 16, 2011 at 1:50 am #

I think I can answer my own question. Logos must be calculating how much to read on a given day. After Isa 1-4 (see above), the next day’s reading was Isa 5-6 and Mat 1-2 combined in one day. Maybe there could be a way to turn that off so any text marked off by the semi-colon ends/defines that one day.

5. Jim Garriss November 16, 2011 at 8:13 am #

Apparently I’m not the only one stumped by trying to get through the multiple steps (some of which have multiple steps also) to come up with a chronological reading plan. Since Logos has a simple way to set up a “Read through the Bible in a year” plan, would it be possible for Logos programmers to fashion a “Read through the Bible chronologically in a year” plan, ie., one click and you’re done?

6. Deborah November 17, 2011 at 12:41 pm #

Rick,
    As of November 11th around 9:30am, the text file was updated to include Judges.

7. Deborah November 17, 2011 at 12:49 pm #

Brian,

Did you click on the words “this text file” in Morris’ blog? When you click on those words a window will open with the biblical references you want to paste into the “New reference range” box in Logos 4.

8. Jim January 4, 2012 at 5:39 am #

Once we have set up the chronological reading plan manually, is there any way to get it to synchronise with the iPhone/iPad Logos app. This would be an incredibly useful feature but for some reason, I can’t seem to access the manually created reading plan on my iPhone/iPad. Logos generated reading plans seem to work in the app but not manually created plans.

9. George April 9, 2012 at 7:13 pm #

I found a couple minor errors in the chronological reading plan text file. Perhaps these have already been reported, but they were still not fixed as of 4/9/2012

* After Jonah, the text should be 2 Kings 15, not 2 Kings 5
    * After Luke 12-16, the following text should be entered: Luke 17:1-10; John 11; (this is directly prior to Luke 17:11-37)

Thanks,
    George

• Larry September 19, 2012 at 6:38 am #

Thanks George, At this moment your correction is still valid!