Logos 4: Display Your English Bibles

mp|seminars TipsToday’s post is from Morris Proctor, certified and authorized trainer for Logos Bible Software. Morris has trained thousands of Logos users at his two-day Camp Logos training seminars.

I received an e-mail recently from a Logos user asking how to see all of the English Bibles he owns. Here’s what I told him:

• Press Ctrl +L (PC) or Cmd + L (Mac) to open the Library in a floating window
  • Enter this text in the Library’s Find or search box: type:Bible AND lang:English

That rule tells Logos to display all of the resources containing the word Bible in the type field and at the same time English in the language field. Hence, Logos displays your English Bibles!

Comments

1. OK, thanks for that tip. It would be helpful to know how one goes about accessing this kind of info from the Logos 4 Help system. It’s one thing to give a hungry man a fish; another to give him a fish AND and fishing rod, and teach him how to use it!
    Pete

2. John Hanner says:

I tried this and it included Commentaries, Lexicons, etc. – over 1717 resources.
    I tried using ‘My Tag’ but could not seem to leverage my search to that field. Any suggestions.
    I am running on a Mac.
    Thanks,
    John

3. John Lukomski says:

It’s a handy tool but for some reason my search also turned up the Westcott Hort Greek as well as the Septuagint.

4. Hi Peter,
    For further information, check out the Reference section under the Useful Info for Logos 4 header of this wiki article.

5. Hi John,
    While running a Mac myself, I tried to duplicate your results but was unable to do so. I tried variations of Morris’ suggested text: type:Bible AND lang:English but still got the same 31 resources each time.
    Try copying and pasting Morris’ suggestion directly into the Library‘s search box. If you are still getting your 1,700+ resources to appear, I’d suggest giving our Customer Service department a call at 800.875.6467. They should be able to access and see if there is something else happening here.

6. Hi John,
    It sounds like I had similar search results. I am still not sure why those resources are appearing, but I did find a workaround.
    Taking the same logic, I went to Tools | Collections and created a New collection.
    After naming the collection something descriptive like, English Bibles – Morris Proctor Tip, I used the same resource type suggestions Morris provided in the tip: type:Bible AND lang:English
    Pasting that into the Start with box, I got a list of 31 resources which still included Westcott and the Septuagint. But under the Start with section, notice the - Minus these resources: section on the right side. Just drag the few unwanted titles to that area (by clicking on the blank section of the incorrect titles, not directly on the text of the title nor the thumbnail image). This should remove them from your collection.

7. Milton Kliesch says:

Morris,
    I’ve been a logos user for years. I was one of the first to buy in. I am proud of that. Thanks for your tips. One question: When you open up the Home Page Bible Study to a passage and it comes up, how do you completely clear that passage and bring up another, commentaries, bibles, parallels, etc., without have to redo each box? Thanks for your help.
    Milton Kliesch
    Osyka MS
    (Attended the New Orleans worshop several years ago)

8. Steve Garcia says:

It worked for me just fine.

9. Hi Milton,
    I am not sure if this is what you mean, but you can close all open windows and return to the Home Page Passage Guide with the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Shift + W (PC) or Command + Option + W (Mac).
    You can then enter your new passage of study.

10. Thanks for all of your helpful pointers. I tried it and it worked well, the only downside I noticed is that it did not bring up the ESV study bible. Do you have any suggestions on how to have it display this key resource? I tried renaming it English SV study bible, but this did not do the trick. thanks for your help in advance.

11. Hi Verge,
    Please see my reply to John Lukomski above. In your case, start by adding the ESV Study Bible Notes to the + Plus these resources section:, then then add the type:Bible AND lang:English to the Start with box. This should give you want you’re looking for.

12. John Hanner says:

I took the suggestion to copy and paste the filter and got only 36 resources. Much more manageable.
    It appears I added a space after each colon – thanks for the tip.

13. Drew Fossler says:

On a side note, is there a keyboard shortcut to open a copy of a resource in a new window instead of “opening a copy in a new tab” and then “opening in a floating window”? I searched the “useful info for Logos 4″ page listed above but didn’t see that particular command listed for a PC. Thanks!

14. Cobus Klopper says:

Morris
    Thanks – your tips are extremely useful and I look forward to your posts.
    One question – how can I find out what other fields are available and what to call them, for example I would assume there is an author field, maybe publisher, or what the possible entries for a field would be? For example – now that we know type:bible works, how can i find out what the field value for commentary or dictionary etc is?
    Thanks!

15. Hi Cobus,
    Great question. Our Library article is exactly what you’re looking for. There is a lot of great content there so be sure to check it out. Specifically though, in the same article you want to check out the Search Fields that you can use in the Find box section. Hope that helps!

16. Drew,
    Ctrl + Shift + N (PC) and Command + Shift + N (Mac) are the keyboard shorts to open a copy of a resource in a new tab, and Ctrl + F11 opens a second copy in a floating window for PC. I am not aware of the Mac equivalent for the latter keyboard shortcut.