Logos 4: Quickly Locate Pictures

mp|seminars Tips

Today’s post is from Morris Proctor, certified and authorized trainer for Logos Bible Software. Morris has trained thousands of Logos users at his two-day Camp Logos training seminars.

If you’re like me, when you’re reading the Bible, sometimes you want to see pictures or images about the things in a passage. For example, imaging reading Acts 18.4 where Luke says Paul, "reasoned in the synagogue." We may wonder, what does a first century synagogue look like? Or if we’re in Ephesians 6.14, we may like to see an image of the breastplate Paul referenced. With Logos Bible Software 4 that image is just a click a way. For example:

• Open an English Bible to Acts 18.4
  • Right click on the word synagogue
  • Select from the right menu Thing synagogue
  • Select from the left menu Biblical Things

The Biblical Things tool opens showing you pictures and images from your library, all related to synagogue. Keep these steps in mind when you comeacross most any object in the Bible: gazelle, cornerstone, lily, you name it.

21 Responses to “Logos 4: Quickly Locate Pictures”

1. Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell November 22, 2010 at 4:30 am #

COOL! That’s why I love your postings, Morris. Thanks again!

2. John Kuvakas November 22, 2010 at 7:02 am #

I must be doing something wrong. When I follow this procedure, I get a list of references in the left hand window that shows dictionaries and articles on synagogues but no images.

3. John Kuvakas November 22, 2010 at 7:02 am #

4. Adam Navarrete November 22, 2010 at 9:31 am #

Hi John,
    I can’t seem to duplicate your results so I am not sure what to suggest. If you are still having trouble, feel free to contact Customer Support at 800-875-6467. Or, create a new thread in the Logos Forums.

5. Mike November 22, 2010 at 9:34 am #

This is great! You can do the same thing for people and places.

6. Lawrence Lewis November 22, 2010 at 10:24 am #

Thanks for info. for retrieving objects ie. “breastplate”. When I click on breastplate no image appears. Is this for Windows only at this time? I use Mac. Thanks

7. Bob Turner November 22, 2010 at 10:42 am #

thanks for this tip.
    seems simple, but probably something that would be easily missed. also seems like something i might try to do manually or the “hard way”. so thanks a lot. :)

8. John Kuvakas November 22, 2010 at 10:47 am #

Thanks, Adam. Maybe I’m expecting the wrong thing. When I follow the directions, I get a list of resources on the left hand window. It appears as a list with the search word to the left and the resource directly to the right of the search word. It looks like this
    synagogue / EBD
    I have to then click on the resource. Most of the resources listed have some sort of image if I scroll around in them long enough. Is that how it’s supposed to work? Do you see the actual images?
    I know I’ve seen Morris do a search for particular images before. How is that accomplished?

9. John Kuvakas November 22, 2010 at 10:47 am #

synagogue / EBD

10. Adam Navarrete November 22, 2010 at 11:05 am #

Hi Lawrence,
    I’m running Logos 4 Mac myself, and clicking any one of the image links from the blog post opens the correct Biblical Thing. The image, however, opens in a floating window that appears under the Logos 4 home screen. Once Logos opens, try to Exposé your screen (F3) to see if another window opened. If the Biblical Thing is not there, feel free to give Customer Service a call at 800-875-6467 and they can make sure your library is setup properly.

11. Adam Navarrete November 22, 2010 at 11:38 am #

John,
    It sounds like you are on the right track. Once you get to the left-hand menu with the list of resources (which includes the Synagogue | EBD entry you point out), you should see Biblical Things at the top of that list. Click the very words Biblical Things that appear (highlighted in blue in my screen capture). This should open a floating window of the Biblical Thing.

12. Howard November 22, 2010 at 12:25 pm #

I do not seem to be able to follow this either, when I right click I get a box with selection, reference morph etc on the right hand, no biblical things in any of the categories…

13. Adam Navarrete November 22, 2010 at 2:04 pm #

Hi Howard,
    It doesn’t sound like you are looking at anything that is incorrect and it appears that you have a base package that includes the Biblical Things database, so it should be working properly. Are you using an English Bible (ESV, NKJV, NIV, NASB, etc.) while trying this?
    After right-clicking on the word, (synagogue), look for Thing synagogue (#1 in this screen capture) on the right side. Then on top of the left side, click on the words Biblical Things (#2) and a new window will open with Synagogue images.
    Feel free to contact Customer Service at 800-875-6467 if you are still having trouble.

14. Josh November 23, 2010 at 8:46 am #

Is there a convenient way to do this with the iPhone app?

15. Gary Shogren November 23, 2010 at 11:03 am #

Nothing like this comes up:
    • Select from the right menu Thing synagogue
    • Select from the left menu Biblical Things

16. Nicholas Rich November 25, 2010 at 5:05 pm #

You do have to make sure you are in the bible, not in the commentary, it has different results within resources than within bibles

17. Dennis Caldwell November 26, 2010 at 4:27 am #

I had the same problem at first. When I right clicked on the word I did not see the words “Thing synagogue” in the menu until I noticed the small scroll bar on the right and when I scrolled down there was the words “Thing Synagogue”. I am sure this was due to my program font being set to 110% combined with my font setting on my pc being set to larger text. Also then when the left side menu popped up I scrolled up and down before realizing that you could click on the heading “Biblical Things”. After doing this “Bingo!” there was the pop-up window with all the images!
    Thank you Morris!
    Dennis Caldwell

18. David Brown November 28, 2010 at 7:23 am #

Adam Navarrete’s Nov 22 post helped me get this. I would right click on synagogue and then see the new window, with the title Biblical Things and the a list of initials that I didn’t know what they meant so didn’t know how to choose(I’m a newbie). I thought I was to left click on one of those initials and that took a lot of work to sort through articles looking for pictures. Adam’s screen capture finally got me to understand–I’m to left click on the title of this new box–Biblical Things and then a new window of just images appeared. Wow, that is much quicker. Thanks for clarifying this tip.

19. Adam Navarrete November 29, 2010 at 8:37 am #

Hi Josh,
    This same tip doesn’t translate over to the iPhone app.

20. Adam Navarrete November 29, 2010 at 8:59 am #

Hi Gary,
    It appears you moved your library over to Logos 4 using the crossgrade option instead of upgrading. Many of the new Logos 4 features and databases, including Biblical Things, Biblical Places, and Biblical People require upgrading to Logos 4.
    Sign in to your Logos.com account then check out your upgrade discount options.

21. Michael Taylor August 25, 2012 at 4:27 am #

This is a great feature! Question: what if I have collected my own pictures of a synagogue (using the example from this article), and want Logos 4 to index those as well? How would you recommend that I build this kind of resource?