Logos 4: Create Your Own Study Bible

mp|seminars Tips

Today’s post is from Morris Proctor, certified and authorized trainer for Logos Bible Software. Morris has trained thousands of Logos users at his two-day Camp Logos training seminars.

With Logos Bible Software 4 you can in essence create your own study Bible. Think about this: a study Bible is simply the biblical text along with notes attached to verses. You can easily replicate this resource with you own notes. As you study the Bible along with commentaries, dictionaries, lexicons, and the like, you pull from each book the best it has to offer about specific verses. Why not save all of this research in a note file for future use: thereby creating your own personalized study Bible? Here’s how to do it:

• Choose File | Notes to create an Untitled Note File
  • Name the file something like My Notes
  • Open any Bible to any verse
  • Right click on any word within that verse
  • Select from the right menu Reference ‘your verse’
  • Select Add a note to ‘your note file’ at the bottom of the menu

Logos creates a note in the file with the name of your verse. Underneath the note name is a content box. You can type or copy and paste text into this box. So as you investigate those commentaries, dictionaries, etc. copy text from them into your note file.

Notice in the Bible a yellow box next to your verse. Rest your cursor on the box to see a preview of your note. By the way, this yellow box is placed in all of your Bibles! Click the yellow box to jump to the note file.

Replicate these steps for each verse you study. After a while, as you read through the Bible, you’ll have yellow boxes next to many verses. Your own study Bible is well underway. Also, remember the note file does not need to be open to see the yellow boxes in the Bible!

Comments

1. Mo, this is a great idea. I’ll try it! Have created my study Bible file, but have finished Bible study for today. (Sounds bad -do we ever finish?)

2. John kaess says:

Best tip ever, thanks, Mo

3. John Velonis says:

In Morris Proctor’s “How To” about notes, he says that a note created as he has explained will have a yellow box indicating a note exists (and providing a preview), and then he says, “By the way, this yellow box is placed in all of your Bibles!” I followed his directions, but the yellow box does not appear in all my Bibles. How come? Does he mean all Bibles in my library, or just certain ones I have designated in some way as “My” Bibles? If the latter, how do I do this?
    Also, I think there might be a problem with the “Preview/Submit” choices below. (Or else it’s with my interpretation.) Here’s what happened:
    1. I wrote my comment as above, then selected “Preview”.
    2. A new page appeared titled “Previewing your Comment By John Velonis on November 1, 2010 5:16 AM”
    3. I reviewed what I had written and decided it was OK, so I selected “Submit”
    4. I received an error message because the new comment area below the Preview (e.g., the one in which I am now writing) was blank.
    Apparently when I selected “Preview” of my original comment, it was submitted–is that right? If so, now you have 2 comments from me, my original one and this one which repeats the original and adds the Preview/Submit question–sorry about that!

4. Victor Vadney says:

Thanks for your information about NOTES in Logos. Is there a way to print out my notes for a specific Bible book? For example, can I print out my notes for Galatians?

5. Thanks for this tip. I have been wanting to do this in Logos, but was not sure how.

6. Rev. J. Humberto Prado says:

Hi, This is a great tool for me to do my sermons. is there a way to save this notes like a Sermon file? I mean like a special file where do you save your perls? without loose the indexation?
    blessings
    Dr. Prado

7. Joan Korte says:

I’m trying to be realistic with using Notes in Logos 4. From reading the forums, I get the idea (maybe I am wrong) that notes can slow down the performance of L4. That’s the last thing I need. If I started this kind of project–my own study Bible using notes in L4–and I hit a point where I have so many notes that L4 is slowing down, then I would not want to finish the project. Poke myself in the eye comes to mind.
    Comments???? Please “shoot down ” my idea with your experience or knowledge.

8. Sam McCloud says:

This is a great feature, but I was curious about one additional thing. When using clippings for example, you can copy and paste a block of text and the source is automatically referenced in the clipping file. Is there an easy way to accomplish this in the note files as well? I would like to see at a glance from where the information came originally, preferably without having to type the source’s reference name every time I add a note.

9. David Smith says:

Also don’t forget that with a left click on the “Yellow” box in the notes section you can change the box color. I use a dark blue box for Bible study related to Sunday worship, I have a seperate notes file for the past 2 years with links to the resources the church publishes. I use the yellow box for may daily walk with My Utmost for His Highest. Several other colors for different things. Now I can look and know which resource without looking at the note

10. Deb Eckmier says:

Hi Morris;
    When I follow your directions, the yellow boxes get placed at the top of the chapter beside the chapter number and not beside the verse I’m entering notes for.
    when I right click on the verse number and select reference (verse)the box gets placed at the top of the chapter.
    When I right click on the verse number and click on selection (verse number) then the yellow box gets placed beside the verse but the boxes don’t show up in my other Bibles.
    When I right click on the word I’m researching, and click on Selection (word) then a box gets placed beside the word but it doesn’t show up in my other Bibles
    So the only notes that show up in my other Bibles by following your directions are the notes that get put at the top of each chapter by the chapter number.
    Isn’t there any way to get the notes to show up beside each verse in my other Bibles???
    Is there a setting I need to change????
    Deb E

11. I’ve started it and am thrilled with the result already! Thank you, Mo!

12. This is a great tip. Thanks.
    Now that I have my notes, is it possible to print/export the Bible verses with my notes? I would like to see the actual text of the notes either inline or as a footnote.
    Any suggestions?

13. Joe De Jesus says:

I tried this but I do not see on my screen the Reference your verse. Am I doing something wrong? Please advise

14. David Housholder says:

This is a great tip. The next step needed is for Logos to provide a way to copy to a word processor or print directly a Bible passage with the notes attached as footnotes (as in QuickVerse 4 for those who remember the ease of creating a personal study Bible with that tool).

15. Joe,
    Feel free to check out the Logos forums to get this question answered. You can either search out threads on this specific issue or post your own.
    We have the best forum and they would love to help you!
    Jayson

16. Johnny Knox says:

This is wonderful, and I have been doing this since Logos 3, but is there any talk of syncing notes to the iphone/iPad in the future? Cause this would be of the most benefit to me. Also in Version 3 you could see a list of all your notes and their references listed, but in Logos 4 they are all expanded so it is harder to filter your notes.

17. Tom Mills says:

I’m with you David – the one thing that LOGOS is missing is the ability to print notes.

18. I am still at a lost as to how to use notes in Logos4, and also where are all my notes created in Libronix….do I need to uninstall Libronix?

19. Hi Carol,
    Sorry to hear you are having difficulty with Notes. If you haven’t already, check out our tutorial videos on using Notes: For Windows | For Mac.
    In addition to the tutorial videos, I would suggest checking the Logos Forums. It is likely someone else has already asked a question you have. Here are the entries on Notes.
    And to import Logos 3/Libronix notes into Logos 4, there is no need to uninstall. Our blog post, Logos 4: Importing Notes and User-Created Content from LDLS3 addresses this very thing.

20. Great, how does this work on the Mac?

21. Arlen,
    In Logos 4 Mac, go to Logos Bible Software 4 | Preferences… from the toolbar (or keyboard shortcut: ⌘,). You can then set Show Auto and Favorite Bookmarks to Yes or No.

22. Kyle Kaurin says:

I’ve been using the note feature for a while now as I study and preach through John. One thing I haven’t figured out yet is this:
    When I want to copy a great statement from some of the commentaries into my notes on John, I notice that there is no reference to where this note comes from. Is there a way to automatically cite where the note comes from if it is copied and pasted? (just like it does when something is copied into word.)

23. Kyle,
    Great question. The Notes file is primarily used for your notes or comments on a section, whereas Clippings is used for copying & pasting (with formatted citation) those great statements from commentaries.
    I will pass along your comment to our development team because this could be a nice thing to include in a future update. Feel free to send any other suggestions to suggest@logos.com.