Now Shipping: Logos 4 Mac

Mac

Today Is the Day!

After a lot of work and tons of anticipation, we are shipping Logos 4 Mac. We are celebrating this tremendous event with special discounts on all of our base packages and base package upgrades!

The completion of Logos 4 Mac is another huge step in our “one license, any platform” philosophy. Logos Bible Software makes it easy to access the resources in your library when and where you need them whether it is on Mac, Windows, iPhone, iPad, or on the web with Biblia.com.

I caught up with David Mitchell, the Macintosh Technical Lead, and asked him a few questions about the release of Logos 4 Mac.

The origins for Logos 4 Mac really go back to the very beginning of Logos 4 right?

Right. In mid-2006, the development team at Logos started working on an incredibly ambitious project that would eventually become Logos 4. We started by throwing out much of the work that had been done since 1999 and re-imagining what Bible study could be like. This was no small decision, but we realized that in order to take a leap forward, we’d need to start over.

So we chose new technologies. We redesigned features. We thought about how to make the product more approachable to the new or casual user. And we wrote code. Lots of code.

How did you get started working on the Mac product and where did you go from there?

About halfway through the development cycle for Logos 4, Libronix 1.0 for Mac was released, and I was given the opportunity to shift my attention to building Logos 4 for Mac. As we had done with Libronix for Windows, I eventually decided to scrap Libronix for Mac so that we could use all of new the code that had been written for Logos 4 for Windows. This, too, was no small decision, but we knew that it had to be done if we wanted to make the best Bible study experience anywhere available to Mac users.

So we chose even more new technologies. We redesigned code so that it was more portable. We thought about how the ideas we had come up with for Logos 4 would fit best within the context of a Macintosh application. And we hired developers: the team working on Logos 4 for Macintosh today is the same size that the Windows team was when I joined in early 2006.

It sounds like it was a lot of work.

Along the way, many on the team have endured sleepless nights working on code or helping just one more user on the forums. We opened an office in Bellevue and brought in extra developers to help us finish more quickly. And we were robbed . . . twice.

Catching up to the Windows version of Logos 4 has been no small task, but delivering Logos 4 for Mac to you today makes it all worthwhile. I hope everyone enjoys using it as much as I’ve enjoyed writing it.

Logos wants to thank the Mac team for their long hours and tireless work in getting us to where we are today.

Remember, you don’t have to be a Mac user to help us celebrate the release of Logos 4 Mac. Take advantage of our special discounts on all of our base packages and base package upgrades.

Comments

1. Congratulations!!! Well done good and faithful servants.

2. Congratulations to all of you!
    You deserve a pat on the back for all of your hard work!

3. George Brittain says:

I have used the alpha & beta files on my Mac from the start of the project. I am also using my PC with system 4 installed on it. Will the files for the Mac pull up now?
    Thanks,
    George

4. Hi! I moved fro a PC to a Mac almost nine months ago. I’ve been using the development versions of Logos 4 for Mac ever since. You kept us informed through every step of the development process. The upgrades were virtually seamless. Best of all, you delivered a powerful and well thought-out tool for studying the Word. Thank you!

5. Congratulations Mac fans. And a hearty thanks to the Mac Devs and all involved in this monumental effort!

6. Many thanks for putting out a wonderful Mac version of Logos 4! I’m a recent adoptee of both Apple products and Logos, and I’m very grateful for the work your Mac team putting together such a great package. God’s blessings upon you all!

7. Brent Smith says:

You guys rock! I’m loving Logos 4 for Mac. Been using it for the last year and it just gets better and better.

8. Logos 4 is an awesome product, the relational data base links are incredible and the performance rivals the big systems … great job development team, what an hugh task ….
    Bet Steve Jobs never thought an Mac could do this…..!
    I assume the new product version will automatically download into our Mac over the Beta version?
    Great Job
    Yahoo
    Ken

9. Daniel Belonio Jr. says:

I’m thrilled that I can now use Logos on my Macbook. Though, I know I’m only using a tip of the iceberg. I can’t wait for the Logos Training in Los Angeles coming up in November? I want to maximize my knowledge and application skills for this awesome bible study tool!

10. Richard Nadar says:

Dear friends at Logos,
    I have been the user of Logos since Libronix and have been really blessed in learning the Word and growing in Christ.
    Thanks very much to the team for all the hard work.
    Richard

11. James Hopper says:

I originally scholar version for Pc in 2005 even tho’ I didn’t have a computer yet. I knew it was only a matter of time before I would get top use the software.
    It was the same for the Mac cross-grade. It was rough for a year having the new Logos 4 on the PC side of my partitioned Mac but having to use the “less featured version”. I loved all the goodies of the 4. LOVED. Even my wife whose a book and paper/pen studying type enjoyed using the software but having to switch back and forth from PC to Mac was becoming tedious.
    But now..WOW. It is awesome to see such a great product being able to used on Mac. With all the same great features.
    Thank you. You have indeed blessed my study/prep time with another fine product.
    In your Debt,
    James Hopper

12. Bless you guys for putting together such an amazing piece of software for MAC users! :)
    It has made my personal bible so much richer than it has been in the past. I’m excited to see how it continues to develop over time especially now with such a great tool in place.

13. Joe LeMaster says:

Congratulations on this monumental effort. I have been using Logos 4 for Windows for about 6 months now, and loving it. About 3 months ago I downloaded and started using the Mac Beta version of the same package I use in Windows and started working on my Mac as well (following your ‘one licence, any platform’ motto…I am on both machines every day, sometimes work on one sometimes the other).
    Question: Since have a full Logos 4 Biblical Languages license for Windows,will I be able to download a full copy of Logos 4 Biblical Languages for Mac with this just released fully functional version without additional cost?

14. Congratulations!!
    And many thanks.

15. Good timing on the release! I just switched to a Mac last month and have been using Logos on a PC since 1997. I’m loving the Mac and Logos 4 on Mac is awesome. Thanks to all who worked hard to make it happen!

16. Steve Garcia says:

I’ve been a Logos user since Logos 2.0 for Windows and a Mac user for 3 years. I have thousands of dollars invested in Logos and you have protected my investment. So glad Logos can remain my study companion for life.

17. Joe,
    Logos 4 is a multi-platform software. There is no additional costs to use your resources from one machine to another. Once you have the Mac engine it should download and sync everything for you.
    Jayson