Logos 4: Collapse Basic Search Hits

mp|seminars Tips

Today’s post is from Morris Proctor, certified and authorized trainer for Logos Bible Software. Morris has trained thousands of Logos users at his two-day Camp Logos training seminars.

With a Basic Search in Logos 4 you can locate every occurrence of words, phrases, or biblical references scattered throughout your entire library. After getting your search results, though, you may see a long list of books that can be intimidating. Here’s a small suggestion to help manage the hits:

• Execute a Basic Search
  • When the results appear click By Book (top-right of results section) so that the resources titles are showing
  • Right click on the title of any resource and select Collapse all

Now you can easily see and scroll through the resources containing results.Click the “little triangle icon” next to a resource title to expand the hits in just that book!

10 Responses to “Logos 4: Collapse Basic Search Hits”

1. Dan Chavis September 20, 2010 at 11:36 am #

Hi,
    There doesn’t seem to be an exegetical guide in Logos4 for Mac. Am I missing something?
    Thanks

2. William D. Hindenlang September 21, 2010 at 12:51 am #

Thank You Morris Proctor for the tip on Basic Search and click by Book and Collapse all. You just saved me so much time. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
    Sincerely,
    William

3. Doug Cook September 21, 2010 at 6:05 am #

I cannot click on My Book. Only Ranked can be clicked on. I have a whole list of books, but when I right click on resource book, “Collapse All” is not clickable.The only options after right clicking are “Expand” and “Expand All”.

4. Ken September 21, 2010 at 7:03 am #

In my experience, with my weakening eye sight, you do not even have to click on the little (read: tiny) triangle icon — you can click on the book title. A much bigger target.

5. Lawrence Wilson September 21, 2010 at 8:31 am #

Seems that when following this basic search, my library comes up in the By Book form, already collapsed. Do I have some prior setting that achieves this? Of course, I can access the listing by right clicking the title or title icon. Only then does the right click collapse come into play.

6. Steve Garcia September 22, 2010 at 1:33 pm #

This didn’t work on my Mac.
    …Oct 1st? haha

7. Kenneth Barrett September 28, 2010 at 8:41 am #

When will you have training material specifically for Logos 4 Mac?
    Can you send me an email when it is available?
    Thanks.
    Ken Barrett
    kbarrett3@roadrunner.com

8. Adam Navarrete October 4, 2010 at 8:49 am #

Hi Dan,
    Locate and click on Guides in the toolbar and in the dropdown menu you’ll see Exegetical Guide. It is the third item in the list.

9. Adam Navarrete October 13, 2010 at 9:12 am #

Hi Lawrence,
    Your results will appear with the settings from your last search results. So, if your last Basic Search window was closed with the Library Results set to appear By Book option selected, your next search will come up using that setting.
    Similarly, if you run a search with specific sections expanded or collapsed, your next search results will populate with those same sections either expanded or collapsed.

10. Adam Navarrete October 13, 2010 at 9:40 am #

Hi Steve,
    I’m using Logos 4 Mac myself and it appears that the default setting is to have the results appear collapsed instead of expanded. Clicking on the small triangle to the left of the book then expands the results list for that particular book.