Logos 4: Quickly Access a Map

mp|seminars Tips

Today’s post is from Morris Proctor, certified and authorized trainer for Logos Bible Software. Morris has trained thousands of Logos users at his two-day Camp Logos training seminars.

Do you ever find yourself needing to refresh your biblical geography as you come across places in the Bible? For example, you’re reading about Paul’s voyage to Rome in Acts 28 and you’d like to see a map displaying his various stops. Here’s all you have to do:

• Right click on a place in the Bible such as Malta in Acts 28.1
  • From the right menu, select Place your place (in our example, Malta)
  • From the new left menu, select Biblical Places

The Biblical Places tool opens with the map, Paul’s Trip to Rome. You can now refer to the map as you retrace Paul’s ports of call in Acts 28.

Related Tutorial Videos:
Biblical Places – Dynamic Map
Biblical Places – Information
Biblical Places – Maps

Note: Biblical Places is a feature included in Logos Bible Software 4 base packages from Bible Study Library and above.

Comments

1. Willem Maartens says:

Dear Sir
    I tried to do what Mr Proctor tells me to do, to get hold of a map of Malta, in his illustration above.
    So I opened the Bible at Acts. 28:1. I right clicked on the verse, as I was told. A menu popped up, but nothing with the word “place” in it, as Mr Proctor alleges. Then I right clicked on the word “Malta”, just to be sure I’m not doing something wrong.
    Once again, no word like “place” appeared in the menu, in spite of Mr Proctor’s instruction.
    That made anything like clicking on a left menu irrelevant, because his first instruction was a cul de sac.
    Does Mr Proctor run a different Logos 4 than me?
    So, unfortunately, I still do not know how to recall a map when I come to a verse with a place name in it, in spite of Mr Proctor’s expertise in illustrating the benefits of Logos 4.
    What a pity!
    If an expert like Mr Proctor can’t show me how to do a simple 2-step process to get hold of a map, no wonder I battle with Logos 4!
    Perhaps another Logos 4 user in the world has discovered the secret!
    Please tell me how to conjure up a map of a Biblical place in Scripture!
    Thank you!

2. Willem Maartens says:

Dear Sir / Madam!
    I have just posted a comment on this blog, stating that I could not open a Biblical place from a Bible verse.
    Well, I’ve just done it!
    It just occurred to me that perhaps the instructions which Mr Proctor gave, do not apply to non-English Bibles!
    I was actually trying to open a map of Malta in the Afrikaans version of the Bible.
    It still does not work.
    When I opened the New King James version, the menu’s behaved exactly as Mr Proctor said.
    Conclusion: Not every feature in Logos 4 works in foreign translations of the Bible.
    My apologies to Mr Proctor who was quite right in his instruction – as long as one is using an English Bible.
    Thank you!

3. Hi Willem,
    Thanks for the comments, and I am glad to hear that you were able to get this working. In future posts, we’ll try and specify such caveats.

4. P. Gonzales says:

Hi Mr. Proctor,
    Is there any intention at making the camp logos training sessions available in a video download? I am a pastor and it is tough to get away.
    I would be willing to pay for the videos. Thank you.

5. Sean Boisen says:

Willem:
    You’re correct: at present, we only connect information in the Bible text to People, Places, and Things based on English names. We hope to add more in the future.

6. Perry Culver says:

I’m using 4.01d SR-1 (Gold Edition). I went to Acts 28:1 and followed your (actually Morris’s) instructions on the word Malta. I tried in the ESV, NASB, NIV, NKJV and still did not get “place” in the menu tree. I understand the other post’s frustration. Is there something that I need to toggle on in the tools or setup?

7. Jeff Mooney says:

cannot find the menu to which Mr. Proctor is referring.