Syntax Searching for Everyone: Grammatical Relationships

Video Tutorial

Syntax searching is one of the coolest features of Logos Bible Software 4. I mean, to search and find where something is the subject of a clause, or the object of a clause? So, where, say, Peter does something (subject) or where something is done to Peter (object)?

Despite its coolness, some people think that syntax searching in Logos 4 is difficult. And I’ll admit, understanding the intricacies of syntax databases, the theories behind them, and how they represent structures takes work. But you don’t need to actually devise a query to do a syntax search. There are multiple points of entry, and many do not require you to create a syntax query from scratch.

I recently put together a series of three videos titled “Syntax Searching for Everyone” to show how syntax searching can play a part in your study — without writing a query. As simple as a right-mouse click in a reverse interlinear Bible. The three videos are:

• Syntax Searching for Everyone: Grammatical Relationships
  • Syntax Searching for Everyone: Using Query Forms
  • Syntax Searching for Everyone: Syntax Search Templates

Today’s video is Syntax Searching for Everyone: Grammatical Relationships. I hope it helps you in your study!

12 Responses to “Syntax Searching for Everyone: Grammatical Relationships”

1. Steve Maling July 20, 2010 at 8:32 am #

Thank you, Rick! As one of “the few and the proud” who “actually read Greek grammars” I am thankful not to have been too proud to watch this. Every time I see one of the Logos videos demonstrating things like “Bible Word Search” I give thanks that you all have delivered me from having to learn how to build syntax queries.
    May blessings abound for all of you in Bellingham,
    Steve

2. blop2008 July 20, 2010 at 1:27 pm #

I just learned yesterday that one needs the Original Languages version of the software or the Scholar’s version to get Grammatical relationships as I wanted to use it this past Sunday.

3. Steve W. July 20, 2010 at 6:08 pm #

I started watching the syntax video and got stuck at the very beginning. When I tried to duplicate what you were doing in my own Logos software, the word study for the word ‘immediately’ did not show a category for “grammatical relationships.” How do I get that category to show?
    Thanks.

4. John Harnly July 20, 2010 at 8:53 pm #

I recently installed Logos 4 and attempted to duplicate your examples but I don’t get the grammatical relationships section. Can someone explain why to me?

5. Pastor July 20, 2010 at 9:42 pm #

It’s about time, now we can have some fun.
    Love you guy’s keep up the good work ok.

6. EricW July 21, 2010 at 6:13 am #

Major error in this Syntax Searching video at about 6:55 and following. When discussing the instances of basileia with dia, the preposition chart brings up dia with the definition/meaning/illustration of “through,” and the narrator states this.
    However, “through” is the meaning of dia with the GENITIVE, whereas the verse that’s being illustrated – Matthew 19:12 – is dia with the ACCUSATIVE, and dia with the ACCUSATIVE means “on account of, because,” and not “through.” The syntax search and preposition chart wrongly identify the dia in Matthew 19:12 as dia + GENITIVE.
    Also, the accent on euthus is on the second syllable – i.e., you-THUS (“th” as in “think”) and not YOU-thus. In Koinê Greek times it was pronounced eff-THUS (with the “u” pronounced as a French u); it’s eff-THEES in Modern Greek.
    (The same for peri at 7:38; the accent is on the second syllable, i.e., pe-RI, not PER-i.)

7. Rick Brannan July 21, 2010 at 9:40 am #

Hi Steve.
    The “Grammatical Relationships” is part of the Original Languages package and the “Scholars” packages of Logos 4, I believe. It is not included in every package. If you’re having problems, our customer service department can confirm if it is a part of your package and, if it is, get it working again. They can also help with an upgrade if you’d like.

8. Rick Brannan July 21, 2010 at 9:48 am #

Hi John.
    As mentioned in some previous comments, “Grammatical Relationships” is part of the Original Languages and Scholars packages in Logos 4. If you think your package should have Grammatical Relationships, but doesn’t, a call to Customer Service can help you work it out or upgrade if you’d like to add the capability.

9. Rick Brannan July 21, 2010 at 10:18 am #

Hi Eric
    Thanks for the feedback. You’re of course correct on the distinction between δια + gen and δια + acc; that’s been reported and hopefully the preposition chart will be updated in a future release. Thanks for pointing it out.
    On pronunciation; there are a wide range of opinions on the matter. I’ll be the first to admit my Greek pronunciation is not the greatest, but this is something I rarely worry about. When I make these videos, it’s typically because I’m squeezing the time in amidst my normal responsibilities for them. They’re not scripted and generally done in a single take (as is likely very evident). My notes for this video (for all three videos, actually) were a single 2 inch by 1.5 inch post-it note.
    I just want folks to be more aware of these sorts of features; that’s why I make the videos. Here’s hoping the main points of usage got through despite my other shortcomings.

10. EricW July 21, 2010 at 12:09 pm #

Rick:
    I understand about the pronunciation; Erasmian rules the day among American NT Greek teachers and grammars. And the grammars confirm that the accent had come to represent stress by Koinê times (as opposed to raised/lowered pitch in Attic).
    My resource for Koinê pronunciation is Dr. Randall Buth from http://biblicalulpan.org/ – it differs in only a few places from the Modern Greek pronunciation (which I know is an audio option in Logos thanks to John Schwandt, I believe).
    If you ever intend to go to a Greek Orthodox Church service, don’t use the Erasmian pronunciation or they’ll think you’re barbaros! :^)

11. Dan DeVilder July 21, 2010 at 12:29 pm #

Rick, thank you for the video. It dusted off some cobwebs in my mind, and encouraged me to explore syntax more with Logos. I appreciate that very much.
    I realize, per your post/reality above that these are more impromptu. I might send a note of encouragement to Logos through you to consider making a more direct application (spelled out for the simple folk–that’d be me, too!) of the fruit of such research–ie, how does this syntax affect a sermon “point”, our interpretation or application, etc. Being specific about one or two of those things will help the lesser informed why they might want to aspire to greater Greek and Hebrew Knowledge.
    Anyway, thank you for that 8+ minute video. It really was nice. (also, thanks to EricW for pointing out what I was thinking, too, about “dia”. We still have to be careful with our interpretation and understanding even when using such awesome tools)

12. John July 28, 2010 at 10:07 pm #

Thank you very much for these videos. It would be great if you could demonstrate how to combine a couple elements of a search. For instance, what if I want to search all of the times that God is the subject of agapao, or better yet, all the times any human is a subject of agapao. How do I do the first? Can the second search be done using syntax searches? If so, how.
    Also, I don’t understand why the template window on the right disappears after the first selection. What if I want to add an object to my subject search?