Breaking, or rather break-in, news…

It seems like it was just yesterday that thieves broke into our Mac satellite office and made off with all the computers.

But it wasn’t yesterday, it was a month ago, on June 11th.

Apparently they liked the way we loaded up those iMacs as developer workstations, because they came back last week and took all the replacements. And this time they left behind the PCs owned by the company we’re sub-leasing space from. That “Switch” campaign is finally sinking in!

Twice-bitten by the big city, we’re going to hunker down here in low-crime Bellingham (where we’re in our own more secure and video-surveilled space) and work hard to keep our Mac product moving ahead. Maybe we can move the Mac developers to a 24×7 schedule; we’d get the dual benefit of speeding development and having a night-watch team!

Comments

1. Oh no! That’s so rubbish!
    So sorry for you guys having to deal with that, but well done for keeping a light heartedness about it. Remember to pray for God’s blessing on whoever stole your stuff … they obviously need it!

2. Oh no! That’s so rubbish!

3. Note: You don’t have to post this.
    I personally wouldn’t publicize my security moves and measures. Your last announcement telling everyone about your brand new Mac replacements and poor security was akin to Hezekiah’s showing all his goods to the Babylonian visitation team in Isaiah 39 which gave them the idea to cart everything off in the first place. Not to add insult to injury…But that’s what this native New Yorker wouldn’t do.

4. Man, that’s terrible! Getting out of the high risk area—or beefing up security at the satellite campus—is definitely a must. Sorry to hear about this. Hope insurance is good to you, and that perhaps the thieves get caught.
    God’s best,
    Matt

5. Sounds like you really need a security system (or a better security system).

6. wow… that really stinks! i’m sorry to hear this.

7. William E. Hughes says:

Gen. 2:2 And on the seventh day God finished his work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work that he had done.”
    How about 24/6. We can wait and not burn out the brother/sisters.

8. This is grievous! If I am reading this right, Logos was broken into again?!?
    I am really sorry for this hassle. I’m not a mac fan, but to burgle another for personal gain (and do it twice!), is disgraceful. I wouldn’t be surprised if these people have an inside contact.
    Hope you catch them!

9. W.W. H. says:

I didn’t do it. I was on vacation in South Carolnia. Besides I use a Dell with Windows 7 :)

10. Dion Manly says:

Wow, that stinks. I’m praying for God’s protection for you & your property. Please don’t advertise your next move though!

11. Hmm… the same thing happened to my brother in Amsterdam: the thieves came back after a while, thinking he would have replaced it and could get a newer computer, as well.
    I can’t help but wonder: if people break in and steal your stuff, would it not be smart to increase security right afterward? Or was this impossible because you were subleasing?
    I wish you God’s blessing on getting 24/6 workers for the mac project – or on keeping the same guys and getting a better security system…
    The current Logos for mac is quite good and stable, so I am looking forward to the final version which should raise the mac computer to a level higher than Steve Jobs’ playtoy. Let’s use these wonderful pieces of technology for the kingdom!

12. Cam Reid says:

Sorry to hear you were hit twice.
    Perhaps you were covered by insurance?
    It appears the thieves know quality when they steal Macs and leave the PCs!
    Perhaps you should speed up the Mac development.

13. Okay, maybe we shouldn’t have posted about the first robbery… Guess I’ve been living in a small town too long. Though it’s hard to imagine the thieves are reading our blog (or even know who we are, since our name isn’t connected with that space). This time we discussed keeping it quiet, rather than inviting more theft, but…
    A) The robberies were in an unusual space; we were in another company’s offices for a temporary time, where we don’t have control over the security, and we were so close to the end of our time there that we decided to pull out rather than re-equip that location. So another robbery can’t happen there — we’re gone. (And all the other company has are the PC’s not worth stealing! :-) )
    B) As alluded to in the post, our main offices are 80 miles away, more secure, alarmed, and under complete Internet-connected video surveillance. So if the same thieves (or different ones!) want to come hit us “back at the fort,” we almost welcome it. Between our silent alarm, downtown location near the police station, and high-def video coverage, it would be their last attempt. (Did I mention the vicious dogs?)
    C) We figure this gives us good cover if the Mac release slips any further! :-)

14. Daryl Crouch says:

Sorry to hear about the break-in. When your in the Lords work the enemy tries to stop you. We are praying for a special blessing for Logos.

15. Bob,
    What are you doing by “almost welcoming” another theft?
    As I once learned from a very wise fortune cookie:
    “Don’t trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.”
    A bit of what I like to call Fortune Cookie Theology(TM). :D
    But seriously, I do feel your hurt…Twice! Let’s keep it at only twice, shall we? :D
    Blessings.

16. Good grief!
    I’m really sorry for the hassle, Bob, and don’t doubt that it’s an incredible frustration and violation. It looks like they left the keyboards?!?! Weird.
    I hope you have those iMacs taking pictures when they wake up, and reporting them on-line… ;-)

17. Tom Weil says:

I always read that your area was a low crime place to be. I would look for someone coming out with a Mac program in the near future. I volunteer to be your night watchman as long as I can have a gun that shoots rubber bullets.

18. Eric Fary says:

Wow! Unbelievable! This should be a high priority for the police dept. I hope they get these guys!

19. Richard Maguire says:

God’s blessing on you all for porting Logos to MAC, of which I am a fairly new ‘convert’. I relate with the earlier post suggesting prayer for the robbers. If they are sw-savvy, maybe God will lead them to read a few things on these machines. The Gospel is God’s power, regardless of it’s presentation via Windows 7 or OS X. It would not surprise me one bit that at some time in the future, some guy comes forward and gives testimony of how God drew him to Jesus through, of all things, that anathema that is a Mac. I dig hope! Blessings on all of your work for Him.

20. Wow, the thieves made off with great computers and even better software! Maybe they will read a devotional or better yet, a Gospel and have a life changing experience. My prayers for a speedy recovery.

21. Oh my! I am so sorry to hear this. When I opened up my Logos I saw the blog post and I thought that there was a glitch because I remember reading about it last month. I really hope you have insurance on those. I encourage you all to pray for the thieves that they might see their wrong. May God bless their lives.

22. Jeff Miller says:

If those MAC’s had Bible (LOGOS) programs on them…I say let’s pray & ask the Lord that His Word be fulfilled and not come back to him empty! :-D

23. Hate to say it, but my first guess might be an inside job. Not saying it is the company you were sharing space with, but perhaps associates of them. None the less–conspiracies aside. Check out Craigslist for Macs posting for sale in your area within 24 hrs after your theft. Call or email the seller. Ask him/her to email a screenshot of the “About this MAC” / Hardware info to you before you buy…aka you want to verify the specs of the Macs before you make a trip out to buy the Mac (or Macs). If they are your Macs the serials will show in the screen shot and match the ones you should already have from your first purchase.
    Arrange for a pick up and contact the police.
    AJ
    PS your chances of getting these back are poor. Pray for the thieves. Maybe they will learn something from the thousands of volumes of Christian literature on the Macs.

24. Sorry to hear you guys were broken into again! It’s obvious Satan doesn’t want the Word to come to the Mac, but try as he might, God’s people are still going to press on! Like Nehemiah, continue to build the walls in spite of opposition. I’ll be praying for you every step of the way.
    To Bob, I’d like to offer a couple pieces of advice that might help add another couple of levels of security to things. Not sure if it would, but, it could. I’ll send you a personal email with the info just in case some prying eyes happen to be reading your blogs…

25. Dave Harp says:

Bob: My suggestion comes from a lived experience 30 years ago when in Seminary. A mechanic did some work on my car and his shop was in a high crime area. When I paid him for services rendered he had a pic with a huge rattlesnake (Texas is rattlesnake roundup country) He said, “Yeah, that’s my insurance policy now.” I said, “huh?” Every night he released a metal chest with 12 live rattlesnakes and he said he didn’t even need to lock the doors anymore! Each morning he would gather them up and drink his coffee.
    Bring your Mac squad to Texas and we’ll train them up in snake-handling and then they can get back finishing the highly-anticiapted Mac version. It’s getting better all the time…I’m using it every day.

26. Daniel Bergquist says:

Perhaps some theft recovery software such as Undercover http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/ or LoJack http://www.absolute.com/en/lojackforlaptops/home.aspx is in order? I’m not sure what all LoJack does, but Undercover has some pretty devious techniques for recovering stolen machines.

27. Carl from Georgia says:

I can sympathize with you: I had my laptop, 42″flat screen TV, DVD, etc stolen last summer from my home. My home is the parsonage, right next to the church. During my wilder years, I would have been afraid to steal anything from a preacher or that close to a church. I guess thieves today just don’t have the fear of God in them. And I certainly hope you have better service from your insurance company than I did.

28. Bryan Handfield says:

I still don’t get why people do things like this. I suppose I should continue to keep my eyes on the sky. :)

29. There’s an old saying: “Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me” Remember the verse, “God helps those who help themselves” (Enthusiastics 4:4) Seriously, your subscribers perhaps needed to pray more.

30. “And all things works together for good to them that love the Lord and that are called by his purpose”. Again it is written “in all things give thanks”.
    Gods purpose is working out for you and for me right now. What has happened is done and with the apostle I say” thanks be to God who always give us the Victory through Jesus Christ our Lord”
    Let us then rejoice in the Lord for in not many days hence the Lord will reveal his purpose to you in all these things.

31. “And all things works together for good to them that love the Lord and that are called by his purpose”. Again it is written “in all things give thanks”.

32. Mark Harty says:

I get it. Sometimes God will allow the thief to work to our advantage. The theft highlight the value of the iMac project for Logos and the enemy’s plan to delay it. Please move forward with urgency to fully develop the Mac Logos project.

33. Nicely done. And kudos for sharing.

34. Goodness… Soory to hear about the multiple break ins. I have prayed for you guys, as always. I pray the Lord will keep a hedge of protection around you and your work and that He will be Glorified.
    Also… What is the down low on the MAC version. I am trusting that it will work like the PC version, only better; but yet I am hoping that it will not be anything like the Accordance MAC software. The Accordance is alright for simple Bible Study, but for a Preacher doing major digging and exegetical study the Accordance software is nothing worth messing with.
    Also… will us who have LOGOS on PC will we get a good deal on conversion to the MAC? I mean something that is not going to cost hundreds of dollars?
    I have waited to get a new MAC laptop simply because I want to wait on LOGOS to have a MAC version that is fully bug free and ready to go to work.
    Prayers and Blessings to you guys.
    - JL

35. Bob,
    I was a security consultant and specialist in corporate America for a number of years. Preventing this from happening again should be inexpensive and simple.
    Give me a shout if I can be of assistance.