Logos Bible Software 4.0d Shipping Today

A new version of Logos Bible Software for Windows is shipping today. Version 4.0d is the fourth significant update since we launched back in November. This free download brings with it a handful of new features and improvements and fixes lots of little bugs. So you’ll definitely want to make sure to update soon.

If you have automatic updating enabled (screenshot), which is the default setting, Logos 4 should notify you sometime today that updates are ready to be installed. When you see the balloon tooltip window, right-click on the Logos icon in your system tray and choose to “Install update” (screenshot). If Logos 4 hasn’t downloaded the update by the end of the day and you just can’t wait any longer to get your hands on the latest release, type Update Now into the Command Bar (screenshot). This will force Logos 4 to check for any available updates (screenshot) and begin downloading them.

Important Note: Installing Logos 4.0d will start a complete reindexing of your resources. So you might want to wait to install the update until you have some free time.

What’s New in 4.0d?

There are far too many changes in 4.0d to list. Here are some of the most important ones:

• Using our new COM API, other programs can now talk back and forth with Logos 4 to do some pretty cool things.
  • You are able to link directly to guides, reports, searches, and other parts of the software, not just to resources as in previous versions.
  • Clippings, Information, and Text Comparison tools can be exported.
  • Clippings can be reordered by drag and drop.
  • The Scan DVD command will display an option for all connected CD/DVD-ROM drives containing media (e.g., “Scan D:\”).
  • Passages can be added to a passage list from the clipboard.

To see a complete list of the changes in 4.0d, check out the support article “What’s New in Logos 4.0d.”

Time to Upgrade to Logos 4?

Are you still running Logos 3 (or the old Logos Library System!)? If so, now would be a great time to upgrade to Logos 4. It’s had nearly eight months of extensive testing by thousands of users, and our team of developers has been fixing bugs, listening to user feedback, and adding some really cool new features. There’s a lot more still planned. To see some of what’s coming, check out the list of additional features we plan to add.

What about Logos 4 for Mac?

The Mac version is getting really close. Yesterday we released Alpha 23. Now that nearly all of the features of the Windows version have made it in to the Mac version, there might be a beta around the corner. Those of you who’ve been holding off while it was still in alpha testing may want to consider jumping in during the beta phase. Remember, you can safely use both Logos for Mac 1.2.2 and Logos 4 for Mac side by side. If you’re ready to help us test it, you can either upgrade your base package or download the core engine and start contributing in the Logos 4 for Mac forum.

Comments

1. wanderinwoodsman says:

When I type Update Now into the command bar I receive No updates available, what is going on?

2. If you reread the post, you’ll see that the update is coming sometime today. It probably hasn’t been released yet.

3. Rolando Pérez says:

When we will have Sermon’s file or Archivero de sermones for Logos 4???? It’s a powerfull skill for us, pastors & teachers.

4. Steve Maling says:

Am I the only one who needs an explanation of COM API and how to make use of it?
    Many thanks for 4.0 and its continuing development!

5. Robert Sand says:

Sigh, when is proper printing coming to Logos4? Stil waiting…

6. When I first opened Logos 4 earlier today there was a note that the update was available, then that it was downloading forty-odd Mb, then that it was ready to install. When I told it to go ahead and the program restarted, I expected the reindexing to begin. Instead it started to download an additional 1.99Gb. After that was installed and the program restarted, it downloaded another 2.7 Mb, after which the reindexing began.
    That middle 1.99 Gb was unexpected, and if I had known about it I would have probably postponed the upgrade. Was this an unusual situation, or should I expect such large downloads for software updates most of the time?

7. David Willerup says:

I’ve two questions:
    First, I’ve noticed Logos periodically announces it is indexing files, that it will take a long time, and that it will slow down the computer. How will I know when indexing is complete?
    Second, I just installed the update, but now, when I highlight and right click a text, I’ve lost the ability to copy and paste to another file. Was this intentional, or am I missing something?

8. Phil Gons says:

The Sermon File is on the list of features to add. I don’t have a definite time frame, but it should be some time in Q3 or Q4.

9. Phil Gons says:

You should be able to get some help on that in our forums. It’s primarily intended for programmers.

10. Phil Gons says:

It’s on the list and coming in Q3 or Q4. Sorry for the delay!

11. Phil Gons says:

Sorry for not giving better heads up on that. We do typically push out updates to resources with an update to the software, but 2 GB seems larger than normal.

12. When indexing finishes, the icon will disappear from your system tray.
    That doesn’t sound right. You might want to check in our forums or contact our customer service department at 800-875-6467 or customerservice@logos.com.

13. Anonymous says:

The same thing happened to me. My system is currently downloading 1.99 GB of data. I also received an error about .Net 4.0 Profile and it had to undo some change. Not sure if this is why it is a large download.

14. Brett Burbage says:

Since the upgrade “Search” doesnt work nor my “Collections” with passage guide. Am I alone in this one?

15. Kyle Wright says:

Any idea when the Personal Book Builder will be available and what the expected cost will be? According to the future releases, the expected release will be in the 3rd Qrt. Is this still the target date?
    Has there been a fix to referencing none biblical sources to Notes? For example, referencing a passage from Ireaneus of Lyons to a note file or even a biblical reference, so that in the note file, the reference is automatically highlighted and directs you that reference.

16. Brian Hall says:

Same thing here….another 1.99GB update after the initial 47MB update.

17. Phil Gons says:

It might still be indexing. Wait until it finishes, and then contact us if you’re still having problems.

18. Kevin Coughlin says:

Experienced similar phenomenon of additional 2gd of data download. But that is not my question, that is just data for you.
    My question is this: How do I know if the indexing is complete? The genesis of my question is slightly different than that of poster above. After downloading, Logos reported a 5 hour estimated time to index. As I was leaving the hotel at precisely that instant, I shut down the machine, assuming the indexing would start up again when I did.
    Wrong.
    A also typed in “Update Now” and the circular device spun around once or twice, but other than that, nothing.
    Help??

19. Carl Schultz says:

When prompted to download and install the update, I answered in the affirmative. I too got the ’2G download in progress’ message and decided I would switch to a faster Internet connection for that portion. Once I got onto the new connection, I was unable to restart that monster download. “Update Now” returns “No Updates Available”. How do I get this process of downloading 2G to restart so that the update can be applied and my library reindexed?

20. Brian Hardee says:

Glad you are improving your product, but burning up another day with indexing is getting old. Sorry guys, get it right the first time next time and don’t do 4 “MAJOR” updates in the first six months. See downloading and indexing cost me at the minimum 4 days of access to my program and computer since it takes so much power to do the indexing.
    Finally as long as I am complaining! :-) The iPhone program needs to work better when you are in airplane mode. Simple searches should be possible also being able to type in the reference and go directely to the passage would be helpful. Not everyone lives in constant wifi zones.
    I feel so much better now that I have unloaded my downloading issues.

21. Gilles Despins says:

Same thing here also… 2.10 gb more to download!
    Gilles

22. Mike Carringer says:

When I try to install the update, I get the following error message.
    Error writing to file:
    C:\Users\mcarringer.MCROLWS03\AppData\Local\Logos4\System\es\Libronix.DigitalLibrary.Controlls.resources.dll
    Verify that you have access to that directory.
    What should I do? Thank You.

23. Marco Warnhoff says:

When I type Update Now into the Command Bar I just get “No Updates Available”. Logos still displays vers. 4.0c SR-1.
    Please help! Thanks

24. The only thing I can think of is that it has already downloaded the update and is just waiting for you to install it. Check your system tray to see if there’s a Logos icon there. If there is, click on it and approve the installation of the update. If there’s not, our support team would be happy to help you. I asked someone to contact you. Feel free to call 800-875-6467 or email customerservice@logos.com to get faster assistance.

25. I’ve asked someone to contact you to help you with this. Feel free to call 800-875-6467 or email customerservice@logos.com to get assistance more quickly.

26. You can keep track of indexing in your system tray. If there’s a Logos icon there, it will indicate that indexing is happening and estimate how long is left. If you cancel indexing, it should restart next time you restart Logos 4.

27. Thanks for your feedback, Brian. Keep in mind that you’re getting free new features with each of these updates and that you can postpone the updates for as long as you’d like. You don’t have to do updates when they’re available. Though we don’t recommend it, you can do them once every year if that works better for your schedule.

28. Phil Gons says:

Not sure, Carl. Let me check into that for you and have someone contact you. Feel free to call 800-875-6467 or email customerservice@logos.com to get assistance more quickly.

29. Phil Gons says:

Not sure, Kyle. It’s on the calendar for later this year.
    I’m not sure what the plans are for automatically linking non-biblical references.

30. Robert Fuller says:

I am using a trackball without a scroll wheel. I have assigned AutoScroll to a button and it works fine in most programs but not in Logos 4. Are there plans to enable AutoScroll?