Logos 4: Open Just the Bible for A Reading Plan

mp|seminars Tips

Today’s post is from Morris Proctor, certified and authorized trainer for Logos Bible Software. Morris has trained thousands of Logos users at his two-day Camp Logos training seminars.

In the ribbon of the Home Page you can create your own personalized Bible Reading Plan. Create a plan for Through the Bible in a Year, Through the Old Testament in 6 Months, Through Paul’s Letters in a Month on Mondays and Fridays, or whatever you desire.

Then in the same ribbon you’ll be hyperlinked to the day’s Bible reading. You may have noticed, however, when you click the link to the Bible passage you not only open the Bible, but also some Bible study tools. If you just want to open the Bible without the study aids here’s all you do:

• Right click on the link to the Bible passage
  • From the right menu select Link “your Bible”
  • Select Open link

Now just your Bible opens to the day’s reading!

Comments

1. I’ve been reading the Bible accoring to McCheyne Bible reading table.
    Would you add “The McCheyne Bible reading table”.

2. Bonnie Ringdahl says:

Hi,
    I so much appreciate all the tips you give for us that haven’t yet had the chance to take a class. Thank you soooooo much. :)
    I was wondering if the Bible Reading Plan could do a plan that had some OT, NT, a Psalm and a Proverb each day and go through a year? I use to do a plan like that and it was awesome.
    Thanks again and may God bless you huge!

3. Hi Seo,
    The McCheyne Bible reading plan is already integrated into Logos 4.
    To select it, go to File | Reading Plan. In the new window, change the range in the sentence from All Passages (which is default) to M’Cheyne Reading Plan.
    And remember that if you have an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad, you can keep up with your Bible reading on the go with our free iPhone Bible study app and free iPad Bible study app.

4. Hi Bonnie,
    Such a range is already preset. Just change the All Passages range to Old & New Testament, Psalms & Proverbs Each Session (Ge–Mal | Mt–Re | Ps | Pr).
    If you don’t see this for some reason, you can create the range by clicking the drop down arrow below All Passages and enter a New reference range. Type something like this: Gen–Mal, Mt–Rev, Ps, Pr. Then, adjust the plan’s frequency, start date, and time period. Enjoy your reading!

5. Or…or…just go to library, type the name of the Bible you want and click on it to open it…or…or…save a layout that has your preferred Bible (s) and update them everytime you read.

6. Doug Chong says:

With the daily reading plan, are we able to create our own reading plan that is not already pre-set? I mean, I would like to jump around daily on a set schedule; would I be able to do that?

7. Great tip! So now how do I delete the reading plan?
    Thanks,
    John

8. John,
    Thanks for the question!
    When you click on the File button, in the toolbar, it drops down into a menu that–on the left under New–allows you to create new Clippings, Reading Plans, Prayer Lists etc and–on the right–lists your current Reading Plan(s). If you right click on any of those Reading Plans you are given the option to delete it.
    I hope this helps!

9. Doug,
    The reading plan is completely customizable. When you are creating your Reading Plan you can set what you want to read in second (Passage) drop down menu.
    If you pull open the Passage drop down you can see ‘New reference range’ in the bottom. Here you can write in what you would like your reading to be. Simply put in the books you want to read, separated by commas and you are ready to go! (gen, ex, lev, phil,)
    You can also define books that make up a section by separating them with commas and separate the sections with an upright bar ( | ). You can arrange your passages to look something like this: Lev, Deut | Mt, Jn | Is, Jer | etc.
    I hope this helps!

10. Mike Fuentes says:

Nice….I was wondering how you did that.

11. Is there any way to exclude a range? For example if I want to do Gen-Mal|Matt-Rev|Psalms – I assume that psalms is still included in then Gen-Mal range. Is this correct? If so, how do I exclude Psalms from the range?

12. Hi Darryl,
    Yes you’re right, the Gen–Mal range will include Psalms. When you create a range you can be as exact as you want, down to the verse level. In your example it appears you want to read Psalms, but later in your reading plan. To do so, create this range: Gen-Job | Pro-Mal | Matt-Rev | Psalms. And if you wanted, you could remove Psalms to leave it off the reading list completely.

13. Thanks Adam, Using the method above, it would give me four readings a day. What I’m keen to do is do an old testament reading, a NT reading and a Psalm a day.

14. Sorted it out. Gen-Job,Pro-Mal|Ps|Matt-Rev.
    Thanks Adam!

15. walter martinez says:

I’m currently using the life journal bible reading program on youversion.com.
    Is there any way to import this into logos?
    I’m using the mac version and it’s a tad glitchy in this area.
    Thanks
    WM

16. Pete Youmans says:

Is there any way to print off a hard copy of a reading plan? This would be a really great tool. Often my wife would just like to have a customized reading plan to slip into her Bible that is different from the ones you can get premade. Also there are times I prefer to have one available, since I usually do my devotions with a printed version of the Bible.

17. Pr. Rick E (Hickey) says:

Wow, Adam! I followed what how you directed Bonnie, to create a new reading plan & it worked for me. I finished reading the Law (1st 5 books in OT) & wanted to read “Jesus” in the NT, but “Mt-Lk, Ac” which I set up for 7 weeks & it came right up. Thanks again! Now I know how to creat a different order. After “Jesus”, I’ll read all the “Prophets” (OT), then “Paul” (NT), then the “Writings” (OT) & finally the “Others” (NT, ending with “Jn, 1Jn, 2Jn, 3Jn, Rev”!
    Pr. RiqueFromRio

18. Hi Walter,
    Although we currently don’t have a way to import a reading plan into Logos 4, there is a workaround way to import a plan as a Notes file. See the workaround instructions in our Logos Forums.
    This method will present some limitations, but it will automatically create links from references to your preferred Bible translation. Hope this helps.

19. Pete,
    Thanks for the comment. I have forwarded your suggestion on to our development team for consideration. We do have plans to implement better printing support some time third quarter of this year so maybe your suggestion will make it in the update.
    I will point out though that using a reading plan within Logos 4 directly links you to the text and it allows Logos 4 to track your reading so you stay on schedule. Plus, if you have the free Logos Bible Software iPhone app, you can stay on track while on the go since your reading plan automatically synchronizes to your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad.

20. Great to hear Rick! Thanks for letting us know you are taking advantage of the power and flexibility of the reading plan options. This is an awesome example of how Logos 4 reading plans can help users schedule and complete their desired Bible reading.

21. Paul McKinney says:

Hello Mr. Procter
    I sometimes read about how a Greek word was originally used, especially in some of Rick Renners writings. I was wondering is there a name for that and are there resources in Logos4 for that kind of study?
    Paul McKinney

22. Hi Paul,
    It sounds like you are looking for tools to study the original languages, specifically Greek. Logos 4 most definitely does “that kind of study.”
    I first recommend watching our free training videos. You’ll want to start with the Exegetical Guide video, then, be sure to watch a few of the others in order to get the most out of your software.
    From there, I highly recommend looking into Learn to Use Biblical Greek and Hebrew with Logos Bible Software, a complete introduction to using the original languages for interpretation from the Greek and Hebrew scholars of Logos Bible Software. Hope that helps!

23. john pavelko says:

this did not work for me. i ended up with two panels of the Bible.

24. Alan Dungan says:

I am trying to create a new Bible reading plan with Old and New Testament, psalms, and a DAILY PROVERB just like Logos 3. I cannot seem to make it work. What am I doing wrong?

25. Alan,
    Good question. When you want to make a customized Reading Plan you use the vertical bar to separate sections within the plan, hyphens to denote a range, and commas to separate books within sections in the plan. So, in your case you would say,
    “Ge-Psa, Ecc-Mal | Mat-Re | Pro” . This would give you a section of the Old Testament (minus Proverbs), a section of the New Testament and a Proverbs within a day.

26. Kent Dresdow says:

Is there a way to design D. A. Carson’s M’Cheyne reading plan, where Carson (in the book “For the Love of God”) takes M’Cheyne’s plan and spreads it out over two years? Instead of reading four chapters a day, you read two. Our whole church is on this plan, so as a pastor, I’m trying to figure out if we can configure Carson’s two-year M’Cheyne plan into Logos 4. Thanks!

27. Is there a way to take the M’Cheyne reading plan and split the resource that is being read from? For example, instead of using the KJV have the Septuagent for OT reading and a Greek New Testament for the NT readings?