Logos 4.0c Is Now Available

It’s been six months since we shipped Logos 4, and today we’re releasing our third significant update to the Windows software. Version 4.0c, which will be available later today as a free download, brings many new features and improvements and fixes lots of little bugs. If you have automatic updating enabled (screenshot), which is the default setting, Logos 4 will notify you that updates are ready to be installed.

When you see the balloon tooltip window, right-click on the Logos icon in your system tray and choose to “Install update” (screenshot). If Logos 4 hasn’t downloaded the update by the end of the day and you just can’t wait any longer to get your hands on the latest release, type Update Now into the command bar (screenshot). This will force Logos 4 to check for any available updates (screenshot) and begin downloading them.

What’s New in 4.0c?

There are hundreds of changes in 4.0c. Here are the two biggest ones:

1. Legacy Reverse Interlinear Display: In Logos 4 we introduced a new layout for reverse interlinears. Most of you loved it, but some preferred the previous layout where the Greek or Hebrew text was directly below the English text. So we’ve decided to add it back in as an option (screenshot). Just click on “Display” and choose which lines you’d like to appear. You can use it along with or instead of the new-style reverse interlinear display.
  2. Passage Lists: Save your Bible search results as Passage Lists, which were called Verse Lists in version 3 (screenshot). There’s also a command to import Passage Lists from version 3 into version 4. Use “Import Passage Lists” to import just the Passage Lists, or use “Import All” to import Passage Lists, Highlighting, Notes, Favorites, and Prayer Lists. One cool new feature of Passage Lists in version 4 is that you can merge lists to get the union, intersection, difference, or symmetric difference or multiple lists.

To see a complete list of the changes in 4.0c, check out the support article “What’s New in Logos 4.0c.”

Time to Upgrade to Logos 4?

If you’ve been cautiously watching from the sidelines, waiting for the right opportunity to make the switch to Logos 4, now’s your chance. Logos 4 is better than ever. It’s had more than six months of extensive testing by thousands of users, and our team of developers has been fixing bugs, listening to user feedback, and adding some really cool new features.

There’s a lot more still planned. Version 4.0d is already underway, and we’re in the process of adding these additional features, as well as many others that we can’t tell you about yet.

There’s never been a better time to upgrade to Logos 4. It’s a powerful, stable, cutting-edge piece of software that just keeps getting better and better. Best of all, these regular updates don’t cost you a penny.

What about Logos 4 for Mac?

Progress on the Mac version of Logos 4 recently has been impressive. As Alpha 19.1 shows, it’s coming along quite nicely. We’ve doubled the size of our Mac development team, and they’re really cranking out new features at a fast pace. The consensus is that Logos 4 for Mac as an alpha is better than our previous generation software. So if you haven’t tried it yet, now might be a good time. Remember, you can safely use both Logos for Mac 1.2.2 and Logos 4 for Mac side by side. If you’re ready to help us test it, you can either upgrade your base package or download the core engine and start contributing in the Logos 4 for Mac forum.

Comments

1. Jeffrey Kran says:

Thanks!

2. Steve Maling says:

Many thanks for providing all this helpful background information, including the links to “What’s New” and “These Additional Features.” Thank you, too, for the screen shots. When I first began using Bible software I was in a constant state of anxious confusion because I was constantly afraid I would do irreversible damage by “pushing the wrong button.” Such hand holding would have been wonderful than and I’m sure will be much appreciated by many now.
    And most of all, thank you for Logos 4 and all the improvements you all have made during its first six months.

3. I’m just really looking forward to have the new PBB. I’d sure love to get a hold of that. I have a few projects myself under way and would love to have them in L4 format. Thanks for the great news!

4. YES! Passage lists!! And import!!! Hoorah!!!!
    Now just have to wait for that feature to make it to the Mac version. Can you give the developers a heads-up that some of us will be wanting to import our lists into the Mac version from our old Windows 3.0 version (on the same machine with Parallels or from a separate Win machine?
    Just want to remind them of that import path for us users that have been enslaved to 3.0 because of verse lists.
    Thanks!

5. Douglas says:

Great! I’m glad we will have the old interlinears as an option. I’m getting used to the new one and I guess I have, pretty much, but I definitely go back to the old style to copy and paste on some of my notes. Something I couldn’t do with the new interlinear format. Thanks to all those involved in bringing L4 to a full grown state.

6. You’re welcome, Steve!

7. William says:

You guys rock!!!!!!

8. Douglas says:

I have a question concerning the following statement on the reverse interlinear: “You can use it along with or instead of the new-style reverse interlinear display.”

9. Click on the button to the right of the word Display to toggle the new-style interlinear display on and off.
    Click on the word “Display” and check or uncheck the word “Inline” to toggle the old-style interlinear display on and off. Check the other boxes to customize the display.

10. D Skinner says:

I can’t see the word “Display”. Where can I find it, or how can I make it show up?

11. D Skinner says:

And…to answer my own question…the automatic update comes in two separate stages, and I had only completed the first stage when I checked my resources. I’ll be patient now… [:)]

12. 1. Make sure you’re running 4.0c (http://screencast.com/t/YWEyZDkyN).
    2. Open a Bible for which you have a reverse interlinear (e.g., the ESV).
    3. The “Display” dropdown is right at the top center (http://screencast.com/t/OWY3M2EyY2Mt).

13. Douglas says:

I guess my question is: Can we still see the Logos 4.0b interlinear layout? You know, the one that appeared like half way in the same screen as your Bible. The one that had white, blue and gray colors. When I go to the display option all I see is the “inline” plus the other options along with the Logos 3 interlinear, but I don’t see the interlinear layout that was available on 4.0b. Am I making sense?

14. Michael says:

I think I’m missing something? Love the upgrade but wouldn’t the printing features be more important? Not sure what I’m missing? Or are we expected to copy and paste to another program. Desperately awaiting more print features! Unless someone can show me how!!??

15. The biggest update here for me is the ability to sort notes by verse reference. this is huge!!!

16. D Skinner says:

And to answer my own question…
    The update comes in two separate stages. The first is about 60mb. The second is about 1.19gb. I was between stages, and after the second stage completed, the interlinear “Display” button appeared! Oh well, patience IS a virtue :)

17. Daniel C. Hood says:

I do not have the tab “Display” … i have updated/upgraded … but still no “Display” tab … what now???? Thanks

18. Great update – I really like the drop down search options (e.g. All Text, Author, Footnotes, etc.)
    This is positively the best software for Bible study on the planet.

19. Gary Kniseley says:

How do you switch between Hebrew/Greek/English Keyboards? I use a Mac and run parallels for my Logos 4. Thank you. There are no function keys at the top of a Mac keyboard.

20. The Full/Compact option on Notes is a good improvement, but I’m confused why this requires ALL NOTES in the note file to be either in full/compact mode. If I have a note file with several notes, I can click “compact” to see which note I want to get to, but I still have to click “full” to actually edit that note (or even read its contents). If the note is at the bottom of the note file, I have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the file, thus eliminating the purpose of the “compact” option in the first place! Arghhhh!

21. If you’re sure you have 4.0c and a license to a reverse interlinear, then I’d recommend contacting customer suppoet: 800-875-6467 or cs@logos.com.

22. Thanks for the feedback, Ben. I’ll pass it along.

23. We’re glad you like it. :)

24. If you are sure you’re running 4.0c, are looking at a resource for which you know you have a reverse interlinear, and have already installed all of the resource updates, then you’ll need to contact our customer support team at 800-875-6467 or cs@logos.com.

25. Great. Thanks for the update.

26. I think printing will be coming soon. We want to make sure we get it right so you’ll love it!

27. Yes. You can still use the interlinear display where the Greek or Hebrew text appears at the bottom of the pane. Just click the button to the right of the Display dropdown to toggle it on and off.

28. Chuck Geddes says:

Thanks for restoring the legacy reverse interlinear format. I really missed it.
    Chuck

29. Douglas says:

Awesome Mr. Phil! I finally figured out what was wrong. On my laptop the screen is not that big, so when I have several panels opened there’s no room for the “interlinear tab” to appear, that’s why I only saw the “Display” drop down option and not the other right next to it — but it’s there. What’s best, the OT interlinear is finally working on my RV1960 — Great! Now I get REAL results when running my exegetical guide on OT not to mention I’ve always had great results on the NT. Thanks!

30. Anton Brown says:

I’m still hoping for the ability to print our Clippings, reports/guides, and other resources like we can in 3.0. Anyone know when that functionality will be released?

31. Logos 4 has some basic built-in functionality for typing in Greek and Hebrew. Just type g: or h: before your text and Logos will interpret your English letters as Greek or Hebrew.
    I’m not familiar with running Logos 4 for Windows on a Mac via Parallels, so I don’t know whether you would use Windows or Mac OS to change languages. If you use Windows, then you’ll want to check out our Greek and Hebrew keyboards. If you use Mac, then I’d recommend using the Tyndale Unicode Font Kit for Mac.

32. Robert Sand says:

How about a possible indication for highlighted passages?
    So if you’ve highlighted John 3:16 in your NRSV, then when you read John 3:16 in your ESV, there would be some visual indicator that this verse, or some of this verse has been highlighted in the NRSV version.
    I think this could be very useful.
    Regards,
    Robert Sand

33. Thanks for the suggestion, Robert. Good idea.

34. Noreta Morgan says:

I was excited to find out that an app for iPhone was available for Logos 4 as I was needing to update my phone.
    However, as I ckd., ATT did not have the coverage that I could get with Verizon, so I opted for a Droid Motorola.
    Please bring the app to the Droid ASAP. I find that my lifestyle doesn’t always permit me to have my laptop with me, but my phone is. Thanks for all the updates, improvements.

35. We’re strongly considering doing an app for Android devices. To give you feedback, take our survey.

36. Phil, I am running 4c. I have done as you suggested still the legacy reverse interlinear is not displaying. I have the ESV open and there’s no display button showing. Thanks for you help.

37. The only thing I can think of is that you have outdated version of the interlinear resources. The new feature requires that you have the latest build of the resources, and it probably requires a reindex. Trying running Update Now and Update Resources.

38. Simon R says:

Hey, some really great tiny updates with 4.0c. I love it more and more! :)
    Here is one more thing I’d love to see:
    - I just found a great thought in Moo’s Colossians Commentary regarding Gen 6:9! I’d love to have this comment come up when I’m looking for Gen 6:9. How can I do that?
    One more question:
    I read about the feature, that I am able to build my own books. Can I use it to compile my own archive of illustrations as well?
    Thanks for all the small and big improvements.

39. You can get Moo’s comments on Gen 6:9 in his Colossians commentary to appear in the Passage Guide by adding a Collections section of top commentaries. Just click the “Add” dropdown, click on Collections, hover over the Collections heading and click on Settings, and then choose your commentaries collection.