Logos 4: Search While Typing

mp|seminars Tips

Today’s post is from Morris Proctor, certified and authorized trainer for Logos Bible Software. Morris has trained thousands of Logos users at his two-day Camp Logos training seminars.

If you were a Libronix 3 user before moving up to Logos 4 you may have enjoyed a feature called Bible Speed Speech which automatically listed occurrences of your word or phrase even as you were typing. The good news is that the feature is in Logos 4; the name has just been changed to Search (while typing) Here’s how to use it:

• Open the Search panel
  • Select Bible as the search type
  • Above the Find box click the drop down list called Search
  • Select Search (while typing) from the list
  • Select your desired passage range and Bible(s) from the other drop down lists
  • Type a word or phrase in the Find box
  • Notice the results are automatically displayed without clicking the Search arrow

Enjoy this automatic and instant concordance for any Bible in your Library!

10 Responses to “Logos 4: Search While Typing”

1. Rick L April 26, 2010 at 7:16 am #

Thanks Morris. I always look forward to your tips and try them out as they are so useful. Please keep ‘em coning. Rick

2. JASMINE April 26, 2010 at 8:22 am #

Hi,
    Please advise me if there are illustrations for preaching sermons. If reciting various text, are there examples of different types of illustrations that can be used?
    Thanks in advance.

3. Russ C April 26, 2010 at 11:31 am #

I appreciate the tips on “hidden” tools and tricks!

4. JM April 26, 2010 at 2:11 pm #

Is it at all possible to make “Search (while typing)” as fast, quick and responsive as Libronix 3 “Bible Speed Search”? And is the speed improvement in the works?

5. Frank Raines April 26, 2010 at 2:34 pm #

I can do steps 1 & 2, when I click on search another window opens with no drop down list. can you help me? thanks

6. Adam Navarrete April 26, 2010 at 3:22 pm #

Hi JM,
    The first thing you want to do is make sure your library is completely indexed, especially if you are searching in books that were recently added. We recommend indexing overnight as this could take some time. When you’re ready to do so, in the Command box type rebuild index to reindex your books or type rebuild bible index for just your Bibles, then hit enter. Do both to cover all resources.
    I ran a few Search and Search (while typing) tests (on the same word) and found the differences to be minimal.
    Like the Faster Searching – Bible training video on the videos page, I used the search term, wept. The Search test took (0.90 sec) while the Search (while typing) test had a (0.12 sec) search time. Both returned the same 71 results in 68 verses.
    If you index and are still having noticeably long search times, please call Customer Service at 800-875-6467 and they can take a look at your system and suggest how to proceed from there.

7. Adam Navarrete April 26, 2010 at 3:37 pm #

Hi Jasmine,
    I would recommend looking at 10,000 Sermon Illustrations.
    Each illustration is organized alphabetically by topic and by Bible reference where applicable, and is searchable by topic, word, phrase, or any other way you normally access your Logos Bible Software texts. As a Logos 4 user, make sure you select the download option when purchasing.

8. Adam Navarrete April 26, 2010 at 3:53 pm #

Hi Frank,
    It sounds like a new Search window is opening up. For the third step, just above the Find box and below the magnifying glass in the top-left corner of the same Search window, look for the text phrase that has small down arrows where you can alter the phrase.
    There, when you click Search a drop down menu will give you the Search (while typing) option. Change the rest of the phrase to what you want to search. Hope that helps.

9. Tom McClendon May 5, 2010 at 8:29 am #

Dear Morris,
    Thanks. I really enjoyed and appreciated all I learned in Tampa concerning Logos 4. It was great. If I want to return for a refresher in another location, do you give any discount if it is a conference you have already attended?
    Secondly,would you help me set up an easy system to search key words from the NT Greek that would be used in the OT Septugint.I usually can find some good OT illustrations this way.
    Bless you. Here is one pastor who is really enjoying Logos 4.
    In the service of the easy yoke,
    Tom

10. Mike November 24, 2011 at 6:11 am #

Is this feature not available on the Mac version?