Logos 4: Calculate Distances on a Map

mp|seminars Tips

Today’s post is from Morris Proctor, certified and authorized trainer for Logos Bible Software. Morris has trained thousands of Logos users at his two-day Camp Logos training seminars.

As you’re reading in the Scriptures do you ever wonder how far people walked from city to city? If so, you can easily answer that question in Logos 4 with a tool called Biblical Places.

• Choose Tools | Biblical Places
  • Type Corinth in the Place box
  • Click the Search arrow or press the Enter key to generate the report
  • The first map to appear will probably be entitled Paul’s Trip to Rome (if not, select the first thumbnail from the list at the bottom)

To calculate distances between places on the map:

• Position your mouse pointerat a location on the map
  • Hold down the Ctrl key
  • Move the mouse to another location and the distance between the two places appears on the screen

Pretty cool! Enjoy!

Comments

1. Robert Crowder says:

WOW, what a great tool. Thanks for letting us in on it.

2. Geoff Folland says:

It didn’t work for me… where is the distance supposed to show up?

3. Hi Geoff,
    The distance appears next to your mouse as soon as you start calculating the distance. Make sure you are holding down Ctrl before you click the map.

4. Steve Putney says:

For some reason it is not working for me either. I center the pointer over a place, push down the control key and then move the pointer and it appears as a hand without any distances being displayed. The only change that occurs is at the top with the latitude and longitude.

5. What I wish the maps-models had is the ability to add and subtract features. For example, click a button and the 1st missionary journey of Paul appears, click the button again, and the 2nd journey appears, click another button, and the 2nd journey disappears. This would allow the teacher to emphasize something. Sometimes, all those lines of say, where Jesus travels, gets a bit confusing.

6. Important tip: Hold down Ctrl key then click and hold the click while you drag the mouse to the new location.

7. J Morris says:

Can’t get it to work either. I did hold down ctrl.

8. Douglas says:

Sweet! I confirmed it with my comentary on Revelation. Smyrna is about 35 miles north of Ephesus and that’s aprox. what Logos 4 gave me (34.09 from one angle, then 35 even from another angle – which it doesn’t really matter since it’s an aprox. distance). I continue to be amazed! Now imagine all the things that will be acomplished when Logos 4 is fully completed! Great tool!
    Thanks for the post!

9. Won’t work for me.
    I hold the control key, then mouse click on Corinth, continue to hold as I move mouse pointer to another location…nada.
    FYI, I am running Windows XP on my Mac to get the fuller-featured Logos 4. Does Logos 4 consider the control key on a Mac keyboard the same as on a PC?

10. This did not work either. If I press control then click the map I get the contextual menu for lookups. If I just hold control and move the mouse, nothing happens at all other than the Google lat/log output.
    I have the leadership library–does that make a difference? I’m thinking that maybe this is a module that’s only included with the higher up libraries–kinda like the morph river. I was bummed out when I saw the tip on that one only to discover that it’s not included in my library.

11. George T says:

When Paul traveled from Caesarea to Rome, did he travel around 1392.06 miles or over 2,000 miles (it appears the the distance would more than likely be doubled from L4′s measurement)? It appears that the map mileage calculator only measures in a strait line; therefore, only the measurements of places close together would have any accuracy to actual miles traveled. (How far did Samson actually carry the gates of Gaza?)
    God Bless,
    George T

12. Chester says:

You have to hold the mouse over a specific location (e.g. town on the map). When you do the hand will turn into a hand with the index finger extended, and a brief description of the location will appear. Then hold down CTL and drag the mouse.

13. Michael says:

MUST hold down left mouse button also. Ctrl key + lft mouse button then drag mouse.

14. Tom Weil says:

I loved the tip on setting up collections. One issue though, when typing “Author:” it doesn’t bring up everything by that author. If you leave “author:” out it does. Keep up with the tips they are awesome.

15. Geoff Folland says:

Thanks for the clarification. I got it working and it is amazing! :)

16. I have L4 but when I click on Tools my Biblical Places is greyed out so I can’t click on it. Is there an upgrade I’m missing or what?
    Thanks
    Jon

17. Larry Brizendine says:

Thank you for introducing the measuring feature in Logos4. In playing with/measuring distances, I got familiar with using the “Biblical Places” tool. This afternoon I docked the Biblical Places panel so I could have immediate access to this tool. While reading various Biblical passages this afternoon, I was able to refer to these places on the maps. I also enjoyed having the Wikipedia and the Google reference features available .
    I have Libronix still on my PC, but I have not referred to it (except of obtaining some prayer requests/prayer follow-ups) since loading and using Logos4. Logos4 is so much more powerful!
    Thanks for providing the daily hints that introduce us to some of the excellent features of Logos4!

18. Jon,
    If you look on the comparison chart under Features and Databases you will see that Biblical People begins at the Bible Study Library package and up. I don’t know if that is what the issue is. If you have a higher package let us know and we can help you figure out why that feature is giving you problems.
    Thanks,
    Jayson

19. Dirk Boersma says:

Indeed, it works, but not on every map. When it works, you also get a circle with the distance as the diameter, so that you can see which other places lie within the same distance. Nice!

20. I have the Scholar’s Library so I believe it should be on for me, correct?

21. Jon,
    Much of what makes Logos 4 shine, like our databases, new media resource (like these interactive maps) and reverse interlinears, is included in our base packages and base package upgrades. If you’re looking for a less expensive route to get the core Logos 4 data and resources, consider purchasing the Minimal Crossgrade, but with a full upgrade you get plenty of new books and other interactive functions in Logos 4 that are not available otherwise.
    Check out your upgrade options now or give our Sales department a call at 800-875-6467 if you have upgrade questions. Hope that helps.

22. Peggy McAulay says:

Thanks so much for the tips. I am having a great time with the map feature. I just didn’t get the benefit of the “Bible Places” before this tip. Thanks again. I teach Precept Upon Precept and already used this feature in the classroom

23. Joe Schneider says:

In Windows 7 you need to point to any location on a map. Hold down the ctrl key and the left mouse button. Then drag to any location.