Logos 4.0b Is Now Available

A new version of Logos 4 will be available later today as a free download to all Logos 4 users. Version 4.0b adds a plethora of new features and improvements and squashes lots of little bugs. If you have automatic updating enabled (screenshot), which is the default setting, Logos 4 will notify you that updates are ready to be installed.

When you see the balloon tooltip window, right-click on the Logos icon in your system tray and choose to “Install update” (screenshot). If Logos 4 hasn’t downloaded the update by the end of the day and you just can’t wait any longer to get your hands on the latest release, just type Update Now into the command bar (screenshot). This will force Logos 4 to check for any available updates (screenshot) and begin downloading them.

What’s New in 4.0b?

There are hundreds of new features, improvements, and bug fixes in 4.0b, but here are some of the most significant ones:

• Import your notes, highlighting, favorites, and prayer lists from Libronix 3. Tomorrow’s blog post will deal with importing in detail. In the meantime, check out “Importing from LDLS 3” and “Importing Notes from LDLS 3.”
  • A new Prayer List document type in the File menu allows you to manage your prayer lists.
  • Create and edit your highlighting palettes and styles.
  • Export a bibliography from a collection or group of clippings for use in a paper, sermon, etc.
  • Customize the Information Panel with the new settings option.
  • A Parallel Resources drop-down menu lets you quickly jump to similar resources.
  • Resources support navigating by data type levels, highlighting, and search results.
  • Choose to “Search (while typing)” for Bible searches (similar to Bible Speed Search in LDLS 3).
  • Replace a saved layout with the current layout using the new “Update to current snapshot” context menu option.

To see a complete list, check out the 4.0b article on the Logos wiki.

If you’re like me, you’d rather see it in action than just read about it. Courtesy of user and Logos video creator extraordinaire Mark Barnes comes this nice Logos 4.0b overview video.

Time to Upgrade to Logos 4?

Many of you have been cautiously watching from the sidelines, waiting for the right opportunity to make the switch to Logos 4. As you can see, Logos 4 is now better than ever. It’s had more than four months of extensive testing by thousands of users, and our team of developers has been fixing bugs, listening to user feedback, and adding some really cool new features.

But development isn’t stopping with 4.0b. The next version is already underway, and work on some really cool new features is coming along nicely. We’re in the process of adding these additional features, as well as many others that we can’t tell you about yet.

There’s never been a better time to upgrade to Logos 4. It’s a powerful, stable, cutting-edge piece of software that just keeps getting better all the time. And best of all, these updates come to you free of charge.

What’s Your Favorite New Feature?

After you’ve updated to 4.0b, drop a note in the comments and tell us what your favorite new feature is. I think I’m most excited about importing and the parallel resources menu. What’s your favorite?

What about Logos 4 for Mac?

The Mac version of Logos 4 continues to make good progress with a new build coming out about every week or two. The latest release, Alpha 15, is looking good. If you’re ready to help us test it, you can either upgrade your base package or download the core engine and head on over to the Logos 4 for Mac forum.

25 Responses to “Logos 4.0b Is Now Available”

1. Dave March 15, 2010 at 6:40 am #

Phil, you forgot to mention that 4.0b will start indexing for the new bible index and that it is not the familiar index bug from 4.0a!

2. Doug March 15, 2010 at 6:41 am #

Even “Update Now” isn’t finding any updates for me.

3. kpmack3 March 15, 2010 at 7:05 am #

(In my best El Guapo voice) Do you know what a plethora is? I would hate for someone to say I am getting a plethora, but I do not get a plethora.

4. Rory Lennox March 15, 2010 at 7:48 am #

I watch something like Mark Barnes’ introduction to new features and realize I am but a tyro in the use of my Bible program. When I want to do a really in depth study I fall back on old habits which probably make the job much more time consuming. Having said that I really appreciate Logos 4.0a and already see some things that will be useful to me in 4.0b. Can’t wait till the notice shows up on my screen that I can pull it in. Thanks to all the programmers who work out all these marvelous helps.

5. darkestafrica March 15, 2010 at 7:51 am #

the balloon tooltip window flashed up for me for a second and then disappeared, and now will not show. When i type update now into the commmand box it says that there are no updates available, and i’ve still got logos 4.0a. Any suggestions. Is there a manual update of the file available?

6. Gabriel Powell March 15, 2010 at 9:54 am #

THANK YOU! This will be great!

7. Dave Burdett March 15, 2010 at 1:29 pm #

I got the upgrade notice for 4.0b and told it to upgrade. It said it had completed the upgrade and restarted Logos at which point it said it was reindexing. Windows later showed a “program not responding” message and I agreed to close the program. When I restarted Logos, it still shows 4.0a. I can’t find the 688 mb upgrade file on my hard drive. What am I supposed to do?
    Thanks.

8. Don Filcek March 15, 2010 at 1:29 pm #

In the process of making a parallel resource collection for English Bibles, it appears as though you type in “type bible AND lang english” this producing nothing for me, but it is obvious that there is a unique entry system (search language) that the LOGOS 4.0 fields use. Is there a cheat sheet or any helps that will help common folks how to better use the fields? For example, what are the lists of “types”?
    Also, where can a list of available commands be found for the command field. Once in a while someone throws in something like, “type in update now, to receive updates.” Where do I get a list of command prompts?
    Thanks for your very informative video!

9. Eric March 15, 2010 at 2:22 pm #

Had trouble installing Logos 4,0b on Windows 7. It will install if the option “run as administrator” is selected and the firewall and antivirus settings are switched off.

10. Ralph Bass March 15, 2010 at 2:38 pm #

With this new version of Logos, what printing, emailing, cutting and pasting will it have?

11. James Margrave March 15, 2010 at 7:48 pm #

How do I tell if I have 4.0b
    thanks Jim

12. Larry D. Murray March 16, 2010 at 6:43 am #

Logos 4 downloaded the 4.0b update, but I’m not able to install it. After restarting Logos, I get an error message that says, “the installer file for ‘Logos Bible Software 4′ was corrupted during download. Please run Setup again.”
    How do I download the update again manually?

13. Douglas March 16, 2010 at 7:27 am #

Great! I like all the new features. There’s only 2 things I’m still having problems with: 1) My Spanish Bible RV1960 Old Testament interlinear is not showing only the N.T. and 2) My preferred Bible shuffles without me doing anything. Example: I’m at the office and I have LBLA as my preferred Bible and underneath it ESV and NASB, when I get home and use my laptop LBLA changes to RV1960 and ESV to NIV and NASV to NVI (spanish NIV). This happens both ways – when I’m at the office and go home or when I’m home and I go to the office – so I don’t know if it’s a bug, or there’s something that must not be right in the way I’ve set my preferred Bibles up. Anyway, just thought I’d let you know about this.
    By the way, what’s the “Recent Reading Lists” It has 3 different choices that I have never read before — are those suggestions for me to read or are they “recent reading lists” that I’ve read and I don’t even know it? Just wondering about that. Other than that, I hope the rest of Logos 4 comes in pretty soon. It will be great to have all the features working and in place.
    Thanks!

14. BJ March 16, 2010 at 8:27 am #

Hoping the prayer lists are added to the iphone app.

15. Jonathan Vliet March 16, 2010 at 9:42 am #

I’m very grateful to have chosen a company that’s dedicated to providing services such as valuable updates and helpful videos! Thank you Logos team for all your hard work and effort and for creating an a powerful and useful product that’s a blessing as well!
    Sadly the update didn’t include the feature I want the most, which is to be able to collapse and organize (by type, author, rating, etc.) my search results. I find the 20+ pages of search results to be overwhelmingly unusable, but other than that, I’m very happy with all the updates and will keep my fingers crossed to see collapsible search results in the future!
    Thank you again, and God bless!

16. Pastor Aaron Baldridge March 16, 2010 at 11:58 am #

The link that I clicked for the wiki does not work. It says “no page 4.0b found”

17. Allen Adkins March 16, 2010 at 7:03 pm #

I’m glad you keep improving logos. With that said… As a mac user I am really beginning to feel left out, In the sense that you have had the “programming resources” to update an already fully released product, but not the programing resources to complete the mac product. Please consider directing MORE programming resources to the mac product. We are currently at Alpha release 15. I don’t know if it will go Beta before the final release or not??? My thought is if it does, then we (potentially) have even a longer wait ahead of us.
    I am no “Johnny come lately” to Logos. I have been with you guys for a long time, so please don’t take my comments as criticism, but the cries of a mac guy who is feeling left behind at the bus stop…
    Allen Adkins

18. Marco Foti March 17, 2010 at 2:19 am #

I have started Logos Bible 4 as usually, but I can’t see any update notification! My settings have “update automatically” set. What’s wrong with it?

19. Dan Phillips March 17, 2010 at 5:50 pm #

When this came out, I tried Update now on my laptop. No go. I’m about to go try it again.
    Any reason it didn’t update to the laptop as well as my m ain pc?

20. Dan Phillips March 18, 2010 at 3:47 am #

Followup: okay, same result. But when I closed and reopened Logos, it then DLed >800MB, and began re-indexing, and is now the current version.

21. Ross March 18, 2010 at 5:33 pm #

Printing? When is printing coming?

22. Ray Graham March 21, 2010 at 5:20 pm #

the balloon tooltip window flashed up for me also for a second and then disappeared, and now will not show. When i type update now into the command box it says that there are no updates available, and i’ve still got logos 4.0a. Any suggestions. Is there a manual update of the file available?

23. Phil Gons March 22, 2010 at 9:24 am #

Check the Logos 4 icon in your system tray. It might have already finished downloading the update and just needs you to tell it to install it.

24. Daniel C. Hood March 23, 2010 at 10:36 pm #

in the coming features … i’ve not seen anything about auto-lookup … i liked that feature …

25. Phil Gons March 24, 2010 at 9:24 am #

It’s called Power Lookup in version 4, and it’s been there since we launched (Tools > Power Lookup). Is that what you’re looking for?