Logos 4: Collapse Sections in Guides

mp|seminars Tips

Today’s post is from Morris Proctor, certified and authorized trainer for Logos Bible Software. Morris has trained thousands of Logos users at his two-day Camp Logos training seminars.

The various guides in Logos Bible Software 4 contain numerous sections. For example, the Passage Guide lists Commentaries, Cross References, Parallel Passages, and so on. Each section searches different resources and is identified with a section title bar. When you click the title bar, that section collapses or expands. What’s more, if a guide opens with a section collapsed, the search in that section is delayed until you expand the section.

So here’s a strategy for using the sections in a guide:

• Open a guide from the Guides menu
  • Generate a report for a passage or word
  • Collapse all the sections in that guide
  • Close the guide
  • Return to the Guides menu and open the same type of guide
  • Again generate a report for a passage or word

You’ll notice the sections stay collapsed just the way you closed the guide. Now expand a section at a time. Use the information in it and then collapse the section again. This process speeds up searches and allows you to use only the information you need when you need it!

Comments

1. Morris or someone at logos;
    how do we add or remove items from the banner next to the logos start field – lectionary, reading lists, reading plans, choose favorite bible, etc.?
    leo

2. Hi Leo,
    With the home page open in Logos 4, click Customize in the bottom left corner of your screen. In the Features section, you can check, uncheck, and drag and drop the contents to arrange the order.

3. Theo Lodder says:

This is helpful, Morris, as are all your blog posts. I’m thoroughly enjoying Logos 4. Your recently published training manual is also a big help. Keep up the great work.

4. ed stimson says:

I am learning how to use L-4, and with that I can not determine how to print a clipping? Is there a sequence or any proceedure to use for that operation? THANKS,Ed

5. Hi Ed,
    To print clippings content at this time, you’ll want to copy and paste the clipping into your word processor. We have plans to implement better printing support into future updates of Logos 4 (tentatively, Second Quarter 2010). Check our Features Coming Soon page for a rough outline of coming updates.

6. David Kelly says:

Where do I go to find out how to do limited basic searches? For instance: In BibSac articles, how would I find all the Titles” with the world missionary or mission in it?
    David Kelly
    Word of Life Fellowship

7. Hi David,
    Head on over to our videos page and check out the Basic Searching video. Applying these steps to your Bibliotheca Sacra Journals (BibSac) should get you what you are looking for. Hope that helps.

8. Brian Moody says:

Hi,
    i know that Logos 4 works with the iphone, but what about the new ipad, is that compatible?
    many thanks

9. Hi Brian,
    We plan to have some sort of app for the iPad. Since we recently got the iPad developer kit from Apple, we are working to see what sort of Bible study goodness can work in the new environment.

10. Dr. Michael J. Oldham says:

Sir:
    I recently bought and installed Logos 4 Student’s Edition. I have been using Libronix for several years and have a substantial library. So, now I have to use both software programs for my studies. I would prefer to use Logos 4 for all my studies. How can I transfer my Libronix library over to my Logos 4 software?
    V/r:
    Dr. Michael J. Oldham, THD

11. Alan Ivers says:

Hi Morris,
    I want to study my bible on a verse by verse basis. I just want to get more deeply into my study. I don’t care how long this takes, just how I can do it. Can you tell me how to start?

12. David Barnard says:

I’m having an Issue with puzzle format it seems that when we do a bible passage it wont enable me to size the puzzle. It did the first time only but no more, any help?

13. Are there any plans to have the better app available for the DROID and other non-apple products?

14. Hi Dr. Oldham,
    As long as you used the same Logos.com account information while activating Logos 4, your books will be recognized and transferred during the installation and indexing process.
    If you have already installed, and believe you are missing books, it could be an indexing issue. In the Command Bar type rebuild index and hit enter. (Before doing so, make sure you are connected to the internet and under Tools | Program Settings, Automatically Download Updates and Use Internet should be set to Yes.)
    Now depending on the size of your library, this can take some time, so rebuild the index at a time you will not need to use your computer, possibly overnight. If after reindexing, you are still missing books, please give Customer Service a call at 800-875-6467 and they can help you further.

15. Hi Alan,
    The best way for Morris to tell you is for you to attend Camp Logos where he spends two days showing Logos users how to use Logos 4 to get the most out of Bible study.
    Currently, there is one scheduled in Marietta, Ga. in May.
    For immediate help though, take a look at our free Logos 4 training videos. Depending on your focus while doing a verse-by-verse study, I would suggest watching the Passage Guide and Exegetical Guide videos.

16. Hi David,
    The first thing to do is to make sure you have the latest version (4.0a SR-3) of Logos 4 under Help | About Logos Bible Software.
    If you do not have it, in the Command Bar, type update now and hit enter. (Before doing so, make sure you are connected to the internet and under Tools | Program Settings, Automatically Download Updates and Use Internet should be set to Yes.)
    If you still have this issue after updating, please give Customer Service a call at 800-875-6467 and they can help you further.

17. Hi Stan,
    We are looking into a mobile solution that works on all web enabled phones. Visit Library.Logos.com on your Droid for our current solution.

18. Penny Friday says:

I have just recently purchased the Logos 4 Leadership software. My son as purchased the Logos 4 Bible Study. My son, David, was telling me about the new training manual. I would like to order volume 1 and 2 of these manuals. How can I order them?

19. Hi Penny,
    Here are the two training manuals you are asking about. Visit each page and add them to your cart and proceed with checkout. If you have any further questions, feel free to call us at 800-875-6467.
    Logos 4 Bible Software Training Manual: Volume 1