Offline Reading with Logos iPhone App Version 1.2.2

iphone-small.pngLast week in Kent’s post, How to Get the Most Out of the Logos iPhone App, he told you how anyone with the Logos iPhone app could instantly access around 30 Bibles to read on their iPhone or iPod Touch, and that by registering (for free) you gain access to more than 30 additional free books.

He also pointed out that if you upgrade to a new Logos 4 base package, you get access to all the books that you have ever purchased for Logos Bible Software (as long as our publishing partners have given us permission to display each title), followed by a bullet-point list of reasons the app is more than a book reader.

Here’s one more reason: The Logos App now offers offline reading.

This is awesome news, especially for those who do not have a constant internet connection. To make this possible, you’ll still need an internet connection to save the books locally, but once the books are saved, you can read them without a wireless connection. So before you head to your small group, your men’s or women’s Bible study, out to the park, or if you’d just like to sink into your favorite chair and read your Bible or favorite commentary, make sure you make your preferred Bible translation and other favorite books available offline.

For those of you who are determined to make 2010 the year you read through the entire Bible, what better way to accomplish that goal then with the free Logos Bible Software app? The offline reading mode will allow you to take advantage of your down-time, and before you know it, the few verses or few chapters you are able to read while waiting for your next meeting or class will quickly add up.

So here’s how it’s done:

1. Make sure you’re connected to the internet via Wi-Fi or your carrier.
  2. Open your library.
  3. Click on the blue arrow next to the title you want available offline. (screenshot)
  4. Slide the "Available Offline" option to On. (screenshot)
  5. Click Done.
  6. You should see an orange arrow indicating that Logos is downloading the resource. (screenshot)
  7. Once the resource is completely downloaded, the arrow will change to an airplane icon. (screenshot)
  8. After the book is completely downloaded, in offline mode, select Read and it will be viewable offline.

For those of you who use Facebook and are excited about this functionality, but still don’t have an iPod Touch, find out how you can enter to win a free 8GB iPod Touch.

*The offline reading mode is only available if you own a Logos 4 base package. You can read and navigate books in offline mode, but you can’t search or access them in reports like the Passage Guide, Bible Word Study, and Text Comparison.

29 Responses to “Offline Reading with Logos iPhone App Version 1.2.2”

1. Mr. Michael A. Lyons January 8, 2010 at 6:04 am #

Great iphone app… is it not time for a Blackberry app?
    …Mike

2. Tom Rosenow January 8, 2010 at 7:15 am #

This addition really makes it possible for iPod Touch users to get the most out of the Logos App. My question is this: In order to make the most efficient use out of the App, what would be the ‘recommended’ group of books to have available offline?

3. Benjamin January 8, 2010 at 8:21 am #

You guys are FABULOUS, and that was an amazing answer to my question (thanks!!!) so forgive me for asking something else.
    Or rather, I’ll just state that it would be AWESOME if there were a way to put my entire library on my ipod without having to do that with every single item. Any plans to include that in a future version? On the other hand, maybe that’s overkill.

4. Adam Navarrete January 8, 2010 at 9:00 am #

Hi Tom,
    The offline mode only allows you to read and navigate books at this time, which means you cannot run searches or reports like the Passage Guide, Bible Word Study, and Text Comparison. So to make the offline mode is as valuable as it can be, you will want to make available the resources you find yourself using on a regular basis while online. Start with your preferred Bible, then a few of your favorite commentaries, and maybe a lexicon and a theology book.

5. Richard January 8, 2010 at 9:07 am #

This is great! Keep up the great work! Now I’ve got my Bible and a couple study guides right there and handy in my pocket.

6. Adam Navarrete January 8, 2010 at 9:10 am #

Hi Michael,
    We’re still looking into developing apps on other platforms. If you have not checked it out already, you can visit Library.Logos.com on any mobile device. You will automatically get access to Bible translations but once you sign in to your Logos.com account, you will have access to many books from your library.

7. Yamil January 8, 2010 at 9:36 am #

Make one for android and I will be the first to buy.

8. Jim Simonsen January 8, 2010 at 9:39 am #

Will the Bible reference link from a book work when off line if a Bible is also available off line?
    Much appreciation for this app and off line access, a wonderful blessing to stay immersed in His Word.

9. Adam Navarrete January 8, 2010 at 10:15 am #

Hi Jim,
    We are currently looking into ways to improve the offline functionality of the app, but as of now, linking from one offline resource to another, or within an offline resource is not possible.

10. Jim Simonsen January 8, 2010 at 10:35 am #

Thanks for the quick reply and all the work Logos is putting into making the Word of God so readily available.

11. jonB January 8, 2010 at 12:01 pm #

wow. i never thought you’d actually do an iphone app. then you did and i was blown away. i use it all the time. and now, i can take the books with me while i’m camping. this is awesome. every update to the app blows my mind. good work down there at logos. keep em coming…

12. Ken January 8, 2010 at 5:48 pm #

Please make a version of this app for Droid phones. It sounds like this does much more than library.logos.com.

13. Randy Leinen January 8, 2010 at 8:02 pm #

I just downloaded the 1.2.2, but the available offline switch is grayed out for the ESV. Why is that?

14. Mark Nigro January 9, 2010 at 12:19 am #

I enjoy using this on my iPod Touch and very much look forward to the day I will be able to utilize original language tools off-line, such as clicking on a word in the NA27 and getting its morphology info etc. In the meantime, its still a tremendous blessing to have many of my resiurces from L4 available! Lord bless you and your endeavors at Logos!

15. Gaylon January 9, 2010 at 5:44 am #

Is there a place a person can go to view all the books that are availabe offline? Also, when will the search function be available offline?
    In Christ,
    Gaylon

16. Herb Owen January 9, 2010 at 3:15 pm #

This program is an expected, delightful gift from you guys. It works beautifully. Thanks so much.

17. RamboPreacher January 10, 2010 at 5:47 am #

Previous to this new feature has been a negative, though not much of one for iphone users. And before this, was a reason I continued to have my olivetree Bible Reader. This update has rendered that need obsolete. Tough I have a small investment in the Bible Reader and resources, this update has rendered my need for that tool, obsolete. This saves a few hundred meg of space as well. Thanks. :)

18. Adam Navarrete January 11, 2010 at 9:53 am #

Hi Randy,
    Make sure you Sign In (More | Settings) to your Logos.com account from within the app. Once signed in, retry while connected to the internet, and it should work.

19. Adam Navarrete January 11, 2010 at 10:10 am #

Hi Gaylon,
    Here is a list, as of 12/17/09, of titles that the Logos Bible Software iPhone app can access:
    Our developers are looking into making the offline mode even more valuable, so though I cannot promise offline searching capability, we’ll update app features as we are able.

20. Mike Franz January 12, 2010 at 1:53 pm #

Is it possible to connect to wifi using the iPhone if you don’t have a phone contract?

21. Adam Navarrete January 12, 2010 at 2:20 pm #

Hi Mike,
    As far as we can tell, you can still connect to Wi-Fi without a contract. There is no one around the office with your specific setup (iPhone with no contract) to verify this. To be sure, consult your AT&T wireless contract or dealer for details.

22. ScottJ January 13, 2010 at 9:59 am #

Can I access my NIV bible on iPhone app? I am a registered user of Logos and have NIV on my desktop app… can’t find on iphone. Any help for this newbee would be appreciated.

23. Kat Hutchison January 15, 2010 at 10:20 am #

Adam, I have the iPod Touch up here without no contract, and it seems to work fine. Mike should be ok, as far as I can tell.

24. layne pennington January 16, 2010 at 9:20 am #

will logos applications sync to my HTC Touch pro mobile phone.

25. Adam Navarrete January 18, 2010 at 9:08 am #

Hi Layne,
    You will be able to access many of your Logos books using Library.Logos.com. It does not have the same UI as the iPhone app, but retains many of the same functionality.

26. Adam Navarrete January 18, 2010 at 9:10 am #

Hi Layne,
    You will be able to access many of your Logos books using Library.Logos.com. It does not have the same UI as the iPhone app, but it retains many of the same functions.

27. Emmerlisia July 5, 2010 at 5:24 am #

Having trouble accessing offline ESV on my IPOD Touch…won’t toggle to ON from OFF for offline downloading.

28. Adam Navarrete July 26, 2010 at 10:17 am #

Hi Emmerlisia,
    In order to use the offline reading mode, you first have to own one of our Logos 4 base packages. With a base package, you get the iPhone Access Enablement key that not only allows you to download resources for offline reading, but it gives you access to many additional titles (included in your base package), that are not available in the free Logos Bible Software iPhone App.

29. Matt Kottman January 24, 2013 at 3:08 am #

Hey,
    Any development of getting language morphology and lexicon info offline? I love Logos! But this is a short coming. Accordance has this functionality in their app.