5 Reasons to Do Your 2010 Bible Reading in Logos 4

How’s your Bible reading going? If you’re like many Christians, you probably made plans to read through the Bible (or a portion of it) this year. If the statistics are correct, right about now many of you might need a little encouragement to stick with it. Or maybe the new year crept up on you, and you never even got around to picking a reading schedule for the year.

Either way—whether you’re just getting started or trying to stick with it—let me encourage you to consider doing your 2010 Bible reading in Logos Bible Software 4. I can’t promise that it will keep you on track all year, but there are five reasons I think it could be a big help.

With Logos Bible Software 4, you can

1. start and end your Bible reading schedule whenever you want
  2. customize your reading schedule to fit your schedule and pace
  3. recover from missed days and stick with it
  4. read your Bible anywhere
  5. turn Bible reading into Bible study with ease

Let’s take a look at each one of these.

1. Start and end your Bible reading schedule whenever you want.

With most traditional Bible reading plans, you start on January 1 and finish on December 31. So if you didn’t start your Bible reading on the first day of the year, chances are you probably aren’t going to try—it’s just too much work to get caught up.

But that doesn’t have to be the case if you do your Bible reading in Logos 4. Your Bible reading plan can start and end any day of the year. You can just as easily set up your plan to start today. With Logos 4 every day is a good day to start reading the Bible.

2. Customize your reading schedule to fit your schedule and pace.

There are lots of good Bible reading plans freely available on the internet. Some let you read straight through the Bible from Genesis to Revelation. Others have you read through the OT and the NT at the same time. Others throw in a Proverbs a day. Still others include a daily reading from the Psalms.

While there are a wide variety of plans available, there may not be a plan that’s a perfect fit for you. Scheduling your reading in Logos 4 means you can create just the right plan. You decide when to start and finish, how often to do your readings, what portions of the Bible to read, and how much to read at each sitting. There’s no need to be forced into a plan you can’t maintain with your schedule.

In Logos 4 there are several predefined plans, but creating your own unique plan is easy. Go to File > Reading Plan, or type “Create Reading Plan” into the Command Bar and hit enter. Click on “All Passages” and choose one of the default plans, or enter your own custom range. For example, if you want to read from multiple places in the Bible each day, separate the ranges with a pipe. Ge–Dt | Mt–Jn would give you a reading from the Pentateuch and the Gospels each day. You can even create your own chronological reading plan using a variety of custom ranges.

3. Recover from missed days and stick with it.

According to the statistics I’ve seen, the majority of people who set out to read through the Bible or a portion of the Bible in a year end up throwing in the towel pretty early on. If you miss a few days, it’s easy to feel so far behind that you can’t get caught up. You could just adjust your schedule, but a print schedule doesn’t really lend itself to changes.

That’s the beauty of Logos. If you fall behind and can’t get caught up, instead of quitting you can just select “Adjust plan from here,” and it will push everything back (update: this feature is in beta and will ship soon!). Or you can just skip the readings you’ve missed by selecting “Catch up to here”—not ideal, but definitely better than quitting. If you’d rather still end on the same day and not skip any of your readings, it’s easy to quickly edit and rebuild your plan.

4. Read your Bible anywhere.

For the sake of consistency, it’s ideal to do your Bible reading at the same time and in the same place every day. But that’s not always possible. What often happens is that if you miss your scheduled Bible reading time, you end up missing the day (and one missed day often leads to another). You may have other opportunities during the day to do your reading, but you don’t have a Bible handy or can’t remember where you left off.

Logos 4 makes it easier than ever to do your Bible reading anywhere. Your reading plans are synced between your computers, so whether you’re at home, at the office, or on the road, you can keep up with your reading. With the Logos iPhone app, you can even take your reading with you in your pocket. I’ve been doing most of my Bible reading this year on my iPod Touch, and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the ability to make the most of my bus trips to and from work* and the convenience of reading in bed.

5. Turn Bible reading into Bible study with ease.

If you’re reading the Bible carefully, you’re likely going to have questions about the meaning of a word or a verse or the location of a parallel passage or cross reference. Many print Bible’s have basic cross references and notes, but even with a good study Bible you’re going to come up empty handed on occasion. Digging deeper with print resources can take a lot of time and effort, and doing your reading in a print Bible means you’ll probably be more likely to pass up on the opportunities to turn reading into fruitful study and meditation. The beauty of Logos is that you can get answers in just a few minutes to just about any question that arises while you read. If you want to take your Bible reading to the next level this year, Logos 4 might just be exactly what you need.

Whether you’re just now considering a reading plan for 2010 or you’re on the brink of giving up on one, I’d encourage you to get started today with Logos Bible Software 4.

* In order to do my Bible reading on the bus, where I don’t have Wi-Fi access, I have to make sure to look up my reading before I’m out of Wi-Fi range at home or at work. But this will no longer be an issue. We’re currently beta testing offline support for reading plans, and it works great. It’s coming to an app store near you soon!

26 Responses to “5 Reasons to Do Your 2010 Bible Reading in Logos 4”

1. Dan Langston January 22, 2010 at 12:28 am #

Thank you for the encouraging blog about daily Bible reading. This is exactly where I believe most people are at in their Bible Study and Logos 4 helps so much to encourage a believer to stick with it. With Logos, I’ve read and studied the Bible more than ever.

2. Luke Simmons January 22, 2010 at 7:44 am #

Helpful post. When I right click I don’t get the “Adjust plan from here” option…just the first two. Any ideas?

3. Andy Anderson January 22, 2010 at 8:04 am #

Along with the Bible Reading Plan, you are able to set this up for any book or group of books as well. I absolutely love this feature, because there are some Theological volumes or sets that you would never use as reading material, but one would like to get through this material at least once. The reading plan is the way to do this. There also maybe an author that you enjoy, and would like to read through all of his or her books, I have done this with my favorite author, and am getting through his books in a gradual way, along with my Bible Reading Plan. This tool is a great way to discipline yourself to accomplish what you desire to do. I absolutely love this feature, and it is one of my favorites!
    Thanks
    Andy

4. Richard Shannon January 22, 2010 at 8:19 am #

I’ve been using the Bible Reading Plan, and I like it. I like the way you can use the Bible Study helps as you read through the Bible.

5. Bradley Grainger January 22, 2010 at 8:55 am #

The M’Cheyne plan and the “Adjust plan from here” feature are only available in version 4.0b, which is currently in beta testing (http://community.logos.com/forums/78.aspx). They should both be available to all Logos 4 users in a few weeks.

6. Phil Gons January 22, 2010 at 8:57 am #

Oh, I just realized that this feature is part of 4.0b, which is in the late stages of beta testing (Beta 5 right now) and should be shipping soon. So you’ll get this feature as soon as 4.0b ships.

7. Joel J. January 22, 2010 at 10:09 am #

Is it possible to use the following plan in Logos 4? It is kind of different because it uses different genres for different days.
    Please let me know if there is a way to do that. Thanks so much.

8. Phil Gons January 22, 2010 at 10:14 am #

You could do this, but you’d have to make six different reading plans. You’d have a poetry plan for Sundays, an OT history plan for Tuesdays and Wednesdays, an OT prophets plan for Thursdays, an NT history plan for Fridays, and an NT epistles plan for Saturdays.

9. David Cuff January 23, 2010 at 3:42 pm #

How do you export your Bible Reading Plan to a Word Document or printer?

10. Kolen January 23, 2010 at 4:03 pm #

While I love it a lot, I want to make a suggestion:
    currently, a pause is not allowed. For example, if I want to have a break on July, what I would set probably is Jan-Jun then Aug-Dec. But it is not allowed in Logos 4 currently.
    Also, I would suggest a pause function, and with two variations:
    if tomorrow I am going to take a 1-month vacation, I could press the button “pause”, with two following choices:
    i) pause but finishing it on time. i.e. calculation are done automatically to read a little bit more every day late in the plan and to finish it on time.
    ii) pause with postpone. i.e. calculate the number of days paused and shift it accordingly.
    related function are: if my schedule is late, I can “catch up” by reading a little bit more each day by auto calculation, rather than the tranditional way to suddenly read tons of chapter to catch up to the current schedule.
    All in all, it is to utilize the automatically generating division of chapter function to make planning more flexible, especially allow a dynamical change of schedule, like skip of some days, catching up, etc.

11. Mark Stevens January 24, 2010 at 2:36 pm #

Phil, is there any chance of Logos adding a Morning and Evening prayer to the lectionary viewer? This would be a ‘daily’ bible reading lectionary compared to the weekly ones we currently have. It could be sourced from the Book of Common Prayer.

12. Douglas January 24, 2010 at 2:52 pm #

The way I like to keep up with my reading and sometimes even get ahead is to sit down for a few minutes and listen to the CD’s (N.T. only in my case – since I don’t have the O.T. on CD) or click the “Read aloud” feature using Logos 4 on my laptop. I know the reading aloud feature is not the best quality, but it helps a lot. Hopefully it can be polished to sound better and not to stumble over some words. I still do a lot of reading, but for those struggling to keep up with your reading, keep in mind that Logos 4 (as is the case with other Bible programs) won’t do everything for you; it’d be nice if it did, but you still have to figure out ways to do things that the program may never do (not because is not possible, but because we can’t have everything). Alright, great post! I hope this new year everybody gets to read the Bible. My goal is to focus on the N.T. only and read it 12 times this year. I’m almost done with my first time around, I still have 11 more times to go. Have a great day!

13. Ann Horton January 24, 2010 at 7:54 pm #

Phil, I have a blackberry and an iPod Nano. Will the app work with either of these? She asked with a hopeful tone, “If not, is there, will there be an app for users like me?”

14. Phil Gons January 25, 2010 at 8:47 am #

If your Blackberry has internet access, you can go to http://library.logos.com/ and test out our mobile version of Logos. It offers most of the functionality of the iPhone app for other mobile devices. It’s still in beta, so it’s not polished yet. But I think you’ll find it helpful. As with our iPhone app, you’ll need to have Logos 4 to access your library.

15. Phil Gons January 25, 2010 at 10:38 am #

That’s not currently available yet, but it’s on the list of features to add.

16. Phil Gons January 25, 2010 at 11:14 am #

Thanks for your feedback. A few thoughts:
    1. You could basically accomplish this by creating two separate reading plans: one Jan–Jun and one for Aug–Dec.
    2. You can currently push your plan out another month and catch up by selecting “adjust plan from here.”
    3. There’s no one-click way to keep the same dates for your plan without skipping content, but you could rebuild you plan fairly quickly. E.g., if by June you’ve made it to Ecclesiastes, when you get back at the end of July, you could edit your plan and set it to start with Ecclesiastes and run through Revelation and set your date range from Aug–Dec. I agree that a one-click option would be nice. I’ll pass this along.

17. Phil Gons January 25, 2010 at 11:38 am #

Mark, we’re looking into adding the Book of Common Prayer as a resource. I’m not sure if this would be sufficient or not. Feel free to submit your request in more detail in our Suggestions forum.

18. Tye D January 25, 2010 at 3:16 pm #

Any suggestions how I can view my personalized Bible Reading Plan in the iPhone app? Currently it just shows me the standard whole Bible plan starting in Genesis. Ideas?
    TD

19. Mark Stevens January 26, 2010 at 12:50 am #

Thanks Phil, it is what I am looking for. Someone else suggested it recently on the forum and I have already lent my wait to that post! I look forward to it!

20. Doug January 26, 2010 at 7:38 pm #

I did the free upgrade to 4, I just got the home edition for Christmas, So far, I am right on track with my bible study.
    How Ever, I have noticed that my parallel and my Hebrew/Greek word study is gone, while it was here just a few weeks ago. Any suggestions on how to get these tools back?
    Thanks
    Doug

21. Rich January 27, 2010 at 9:48 am #

I love this feature and use it regularly. My suggestion is to let me print the schedule so I can put it in my Bible when I travel.

22. Phil Gons January 28, 2010 at 12:22 pm #

Rich, that’s on our list. Thanks for the suggestion!

23. David Cote January 30, 2010 at 4:37 am #

So, where is the Windows Mobile version? Why is it that a lot of companies think that people only have iPhones?

24. Brian Moody January 30, 2010 at 5:40 am #

was considering purchasing an iphone to put my Logos software on, but with the launch of the new ipad, is it worth it, and will the ipad have all the funtionality that the iphone has when using logos software?

25. Phil Gons January 30, 2010 at 9:42 am #

To meet the immediate needs of other mobile device users, we created http://library.logos.com/, which replicates the majority of the functionality of our iPhone app. Any with an internet-connected mobile device can use it to access much of their library and essential features on the go. On our short list is to evaluate other mobile platforms for device-specific applications.
    The iPhone app came first because it represented the largest number of users when we surveyed our customers months ago.

26. Phil Gons January 30, 2010 at 9:47 am #

It’s hard for me to say which it better suited to meet your needs. If you need a mobile phone, the iPad won’t be it unless you’re content using a VoIP solution like Skype. The iPhone and iPod Touch are nice because of their compact size. They fit nicely in your pocket. The iPad on the other hand is not as easily to take with you wherever you go. But it is easier to read. The press is pretty mixed on the iPad right now. Some are suggestion waiting until the second generation iPad before seriously considering getting one.