Where Are My Reverse Interlinears?

Most of the new Logos 4 base packages have upwards of a dozen reverse interlinears, all the way up to Portfolio, which has twenty. However, if you search in My Library, you won’t find any of them. So where are they?

Logos 4 takes a new approach to reverse interlinears. They are no longer separate resources, but they’re now integrated into many of the English Bibles in your library. To access the reverse interlinear for the translation you’re reading, all you need to do is click the Interlinear button. When you click it, the reverse interlinear panel appears at the bottom of the pane you’re reading.

Reverse Interlinears in Logos 4

With the panel, reverse interlinears are built directly into many English Bibles, allowing you to see the Greek or Hebrew behind your text. All your information is now in one pane for quick and easy reference.

Logos 4 also introduces a brand new feature called Sympathetic Highlighting. When you highlight a portion of text in one interlinear, the corresponding text in your other open English Bibles that have interlinears will also be highlighted.

You can try it right now: open up two English Bibles (the ESV and NRSV, for example) to the same passage. Then highlight in one to see the equivalent text highlighted in the other.

There are more features and new interlinears coming soon, including the ability to view the reverse interlinear data in the primary, wrapping text window, as well as in the strip below. We’re also working on English–Greek and English–Hebrew reverse interlinears for the NIV and the NLT. We have not yet set release dates for the new interlinears, but if you own Bible Study Library or higher, these files will download automatically as soon as they are complete.

41 Responses to “Where Are My Reverse Interlinears?”

1. Keith Soules December 8, 2009 at 4:01 am #

I wish we at least had the option to have the interlinear display like it was in Logos 3. I don’t really care for the new layout. Maybe it is because I am use to Interlinear Bibles, but I will continue to use Logos 3 for my interlinear work.

2. John English December 8, 2009 at 4:46 am #

Can you list those available for platinum? I see only six. It would be helpful to know by way of some ID mark, which ones are interlinear – I see no easy way to identify them without opening them so if you want to open all interlinears, say for purposes of comparison, it’s quite a chore.
    Thanks,
    JOhn

3. Douglas December 8, 2009 at 7:11 am #

I like the new interlinear format, but I must confess that I kind of preferred the old style better. One question though, I’ve noticed that the morphology code is not a “hot link” is that something that will be fixed later? For example, Revelation 18:20 on the word “Rejoice” I have the MSS form of the verb along with its transliteration, then the lemma with its trl. also, and then the morphology VPPM2S, then the Strong’s #, and finally LN 25.131 — Alright, the Lou Nida (LN is a hot link), so is the strong’s #, but the morphology code VPPM2S is not – why? I know in the old interlinears it would display as a hot link and a pop up window would come up telling you what the VPPM2S meant. Help please!

4. Joel T. December 8, 2009 at 7:24 am #

Is there a change log so I can see when new features have been added? And is there a development road map, so I can see what features I can look forward to in the up coming versions? I love this program and don’t want to miss any of the wonderful new features.

5. Ben December 8, 2009 at 7:28 am #

Are any reverse interlinear bibles available outside of base packages? It appears none are, but I wanted to make sure.

6. Sam_Shaw December 8, 2009 at 7:53 am #

I heard that they’ll become their own resources in the future. Is that true?

7. Ed Hale December 8, 2009 at 8:06 am #

Which Greek Text are you using for the NIV and NLT Interlinears?

8. Kent Hendricks December 8, 2009 at 8:51 am #

Keith,
    We’re adding the ability to view the reverse interlinear data in the primary, wrapping text window, as well as in the strip below (the current option). This will be released early in 2010.

9. Scott Jacobsen December 8, 2009 at 8:52 am #

I really don’t like the the new interlinears either, and I think it needs to be changed. There should, at least, be a view option that makes it possible to view more text at a time. The table style viewing pane distorts the flow of the text. If I could open the reverse interlinear in a separate tab, it would really be helpful.
    Otherwise, the program looks good-I haven’t figured it all out yet, but getting there.
    Scott

10. Kent Hendricks December 8, 2009 at 8:54 am #

John,
    See the Comparison Chart for the complete list of Interlinears in Platinum.

11. Kent Hendricks December 8, 2009 at 8:57 am #

Joel,
    Check out the complete list of Features Coming Soon. Usually, new releases are mentioned in the Forums as well.

12. Kent Hendricks December 8, 2009 at 9:06 am #

Ben,
    A few interlinears are available outside of the base packages. You can search for interlinears on logos.com to see what your options are.
    Keep in mind, however, that most of the interlinears are available only in Logos 4 base packages. It’s also a much better deal to get the interlinears through an upgrade, rather than buying them individually. So make sure you check out your upgrade options first.

13. Kent Hendricks December 8, 2009 at 9:11 am #

Sam,
    We’re going to integrate the reverse interlinear data in the primary, wrapping text window, as well as in the strip below. This feature will be released sometime early in 2010.

14. Kent Hendricks December 8, 2009 at 9:13 am #

Scott,

15. Kent Hendricks December 8, 2009 at 9:26 am #

Ed,
    For the NLT, the publishers have provided an edition of the Greek text for their New Testament translation which differs from the NA/UBS text in approximately 300 places. For the NIV, we’re using the NA27 with the variants noted.

16. Kevin Phillips December 8, 2009 at 9:39 am #

My vote is for the logos 3 interlinear format. The logos 4 format is too diconnected from the text.

17. Kent Hendricks December 8, 2009 at 9:41 am #

Kevin,

18. Sam_Shaw December 8, 2009 at 11:10 am #

I’m seeing a pattern here…

19. Michael Hanson December 8, 2009 at 11:23 am #

And for the Mac version of Logos 4? How and when will this feature be implemented?

20. Cynthia G December 8, 2009 at 12:24 pm #

I agree with everyone who said they liked the interlinear format in Logos 3 better. It will be good to have that available. Just adding my 2 cents!

21. Andrew Rozalowsky December 8, 2009 at 2:44 pm #

Hi Kent. I have the original languages package but am not finding a way to access the NIV interlinear that the comparison chart shows I’m supposed to have. I was looking forward to finally having the NIV in my software. Thoughts?

22. Kent Hendricks December 8, 2009 at 3:24 pm #

Andrew,
    We’re still working on English–Greek and English–Hebrew reverse interlinears for the NIV and the NLT. We have not yet set release dates for these new interlinears, but you will receive them as soon as they are ready. See the footnote to the interlinears section of the comparison chart: “License included with purchase. Files coming soon.” Hope this helps.

23. Lim Jui Khiang December 9, 2009 at 12:50 am #

Hi,
    May I know the list of the 20 Reverse Interlinear you mentioned. I have Portfolio Collection, but, surely it is not 20. Thanks for your help so that I can see what I have done wrong to see the 20 Reverse Interlinear.
    Thanks
    JK

24. Kent Hendricks December 9, 2009 at 8:50 am #

JK,
    Certainly. Here’s the complete list of interlinears in Portfolio. Keep in mind that we’re still working on the NIV and NLT interlinears, and you’ll receive the files as soon as they’re ready.

• ESV English–Greek Reverse Interlinear of the New Testament
    • ESV English–Hebrew Reverse Interlinear of the Old Testament
    • Interlinear Literal Translation of the Greek New Testament, by Thomas Newberry
    • KJV Cambridge Paragraph English–Greek Reverse Interlinear
    • NKJV English–Greek Reverse Interlinear
    • NKJV English–Hebrew Reverse Interlinear
    • NLT English–Greek Reverse Interlinear
    • NLT English–Hebrew Reverse Interlinear
    • NRSV English–Greek Reverse Interlinear
    • NRSV English–Hebrew Reverse Interlinear

To see the reverse interlinears in the other base packages, check out the Comparison Chart.

25. landonnorton December 9, 2009 at 9:53 am #

Scott Jacobsen said:
    “When I used the reverse interlinear, I often used it as a full-page window. That option seems to be unavailable now.”
    If you right-click on a Bible’s tab, Logos gives you the option to “Open in a floating window”. This makes the Bible its own window apart from the rest which allows you to maximize just that particular translation OR even drag it to another (perhaps larger) monitor for full-screen viewing alongside your other texts.
    Great feature!

26. Scott Jacobsen December 9, 2009 at 10:37 am #

Thanks! Good to hear. I’m enjoying it otherwise, and after everything gets indexed, it should be a lot of fun to use.

27. Douglas December 9, 2009 at 9:30 pm #

You actually get 21 interlinears to Lexam Greek and one Lexam Hebrew – the rest are Bibles with interlinears integrated. Just open the Bible and click interlinear. If you want old style interlinear then the Newberry interlinear will do. Great tools! I still haven’t gotten an answer to my question: How come the morphology is not a “hot link” on the interlinears like the strong’s # and Lou-Nida are? I’ll greatly appreciate any help on this.

28. Abraham Payton December 9, 2009 at 10:39 pm #

I noted that when I use the 3 panel layout in Logos 4 the ‘Interlinear’ button does not appear on my interlinear bibles.
    Is there another workaround besides closing the third panel?

29. Kent Hendricks December 10, 2009 at 9:06 am #

Douglas, I’ve sent along a suggestion for adding this functionality. Thanks!

30. Kent Hendricks December 10, 2009 at 9:09 am #

Abraham,
    You may want to try adjusting the program scaling to give more space in the smaller panes. Go to Tools | Program Settings and adjust the settings from 100% to 80% or 90%.

31. Douglas December 10, 2009 at 11:37 am #

Thank you Mr. Kent,
    It will greatly help to have that feature carried over to Logos 4 – Since I’m not a Greek Scholar and don’t really have time to memorized all the morphology codes. Have a blessed day!

32. llocklin December 10, 2009 at 6:39 pm #

Version 3 had a “Parallel Passages and Harmonies tool which was very useful for studying the gospels. Are there plans to implement this useful functionality in Version 4?
    Thanks for making a great product.

33. Chad December 14, 2009 at 8:13 pm #

I love the new sympathetic highlighting – use it all the time. However, I also join the others in awaiting the new release of the alternate viewing.
    One suggestion: It would be nice to be able to simply double click the Greek term in the interlinear to bring up one’s preferred lexicon, rather than right clicking and waiting (on my computer) for the information to load before selecting BDAG. (Besides, I can look up the English and Reference from the English text above.) This is a feature from the old ESV-Rev-Int that I really miss.
    I also had a lot of notes and highlighting attached to my ESV-Reverse in Logos 3. Is it safe to assume all is lost?
    Thanks for your help.

34. Kent Hendricks December 15, 2009 at 8:06 am #

Chad,
    Glad you’re enjoying the sympathetic highlighting! Thanks for your suggestions. I’ll pass them along.
    Notes importing is coming soon.

35. Kent Hendricks December 18, 2009 at 11:54 am #

Michael,
    Our goal for the Mac is parity with the Windows version. Logos 4 be identical no matter what platform you’re using.

36. Kent Hendricks December 18, 2009 at 12:16 pm #

We’ve changed some features and added lots of new features for searching Parallel Passages. We turned them into books, so you’ll now find them in My Library.
    There are also several threads in the Forums which discuss the new ways of using Parallel Passages in Logos 4.
    Hope this helps.

37. Timothy Zila December 28, 2009 at 7:13 pm #

Just to clarify, when the way we view interlinears is updated in 2010 will we be able to read it like in Logos 3 where we see the Greek text and then the literal English translation below, in the actual order of the Greek text? (Along with the transliterations and what not, which I love that you can turn on or off in Logos 4) I find being able to read the English in the original Greek ordering is an important, vital feature that is sorely missed when you’re only able to use the current Logos 4 setup for interlinears.

38. Kent Hendricks January 4, 2010 at 8:37 am #

Timothy,
    We’re adding the ability to view the reverse interlinear data in the primary, wrapping text window, as well as in the strip below (the current option). The feature won’t look exactly like it did in Logos 3.

39. Kolen January 23, 2010 at 4:15 pm #

I am now using Logos 4 scholar edition, and the first time I consider to buy it is the reverse interlinear function.
    I bought an ESV reverse interlinear NT, a printed version. And there is a demo Logos software for me to try it. So, I know from that book that the ESV reverse interlinear NT is made possible because of the Logos 4.
    But after I bought the software, I was greatly disappointed – I was really excited by every features of the Logos 4 Scholar edition EXCEPT for the reverse interlinear. The reason is: Probably because I have tried the printed version before. I used it for many purposes, including morning devotion. It helps exposing to the original languages so easy that even I can use such a tool in morning devotion. One very very important feature to make this possible is to be able to read it through, and might be even long enough for you to see the whole context of the sentences, chapters and so on.
    So, you will see why it is so bad for the reverse interlinear in Logos 4. Might be it is only me that don’t know how to use it (that will be great. all I need to do is to learn how to), but I think you can’t really read the reverse interlinear through. it only has a line, really short line, a line that don’t even include the whole sentence in most cases. And it doesn’t allow you to scroll. This means that I can never use the reverse interlinear as a normal reading. All its usuage becomes a table giving you all different information of a word, which is not what the power of reverse interlinear is.
    All in all, I would like to suggest that the reverse interlinear should have a “passage mode”, that looks like reading through any Bible, except that there are many rows.

40. Kent Hendricks January 25, 2010 at 8:48 am #

Kolen,
    Thanks for your feedback. We’re continually adding features and updates based on user input like yours.
    For this specific feature, we are adding the ability to view the reverse interlinear data in the primary, wrapping text window, as well as in the strip below (the current option). This feature will be released soon, and your software will update automatically when it is.

41. Parkash November 4, 2011 at 5:19 pm #

I like the new interlinear format, but how would I know which is the actual meaning because once I get my Greek or Hebrew meaning by using the reverse interlinear I get “superscribtion” i.e a, b,c or d? For example, Galatian 4:4 on the word “born”.