4 Ways to Move to Logos 4

Merry Christmas from all of us here in Bellingham, Washington. We hope you’re having a wonderful celebration of the birth of our Savior with family and friends.

Many of you have already upgraded to Logos 4, and you may have even used it to read the Christmas story, prepare for your Christmas Eve sermon, or study the themes surrounding Christ’s first advent for your personal devotional time. If you haven’t upgraded to Logos 4 yet because you were waiting for some Christmas money, I wanted to take a few moments to give you your 4 options for moving to Logos 4. And even though we’re closed today, our website is available to take your order right now. If you choose the download option, you might even be able to start playing with your new toy later today.

Option 1: Base Package Upgrade

The first and best option is to upgrade your Logos 3 base package to a higher Logos 4 base package. So if you currently have Scholar’s Library for Logos 3, your best option is to upgrade to a higher base package like Gold or Platinum for Logos 4. The reason this is the best option is because we’re offering some extra special introductory discounts right now, and you always get the best deal on our highest base packages. In addition to keeping all the books you already own, you’ll get the most new features and resources at an amazingly low price. If you have the money or would like to use one of our payment plans, this is definitely the way to go. Even if you’re not sure if your computer can handle Logos 4 yet, it still makes sense to upgrade now to take advantage of the extra savings. In the meantime, you can even enjoy the majority of your new resources in Logos 3.

Option 2: Base Package Crossgrade

If you can’t afford moving up a couple of levels in your base package or you feel that you’re already at the base package level that’s right for you, the next best option is to crossgrade your current base package to the new Logos 4 version. So if you own Scholar’s Gold for Logos 3, you can move over to Scholar’s Gold for Logos 4. You won’t get as many new books or quite as good of a deal as upgrading, but in a couple of cases you’ll get more than 100 new titles for less than $2 each! Crossgrading your base package is a great option for those on a tight budget.

Option 3: Minimal Crossgrade

The next best option if you don’t really want to add new books to your library is the Minimal Crossgrade. The Minimal Crossgrade gives you just the core essential resources and databases necessary to move your existing library over to Logos 4 and take advantage of many of the cool new features. We highly recommend that you purchase at least the Minimal Crossgrade to get the true Logos 4 experience.

Option 4: Free Core Engine

The last way to move to Logos 4 is to download the free core engine. The free Logos 4 core engine without a Logos 4 base package or the Minimal Crossgrade will be lacking many of the new databases and resources necessary to use features like Biblical People, Biblical Places, Biblical Things, the new reverse interlinears, many of the sections of the Guides and the Home Page, Logos controlled vocabulary database of synonymous terminology, and a few other things. You also won’t be able to use your current library of books on the iPhone app. If you want to have the best experience with Logos 4 and access your books on the iPhone app, choosing the free core engine is not the right choice. But if you’re just looking for very basic functionality, it’s hard to beat the price. :) Remember, though, that the free core engine option will always be around, but the extra special upgrade discounts won’t last forever.

To sum it all up, here are your 4 options laid out in a table.

New Books1 Features Value Price
Base Package Upgrade ≈150–1,6002 All3 Amazing Deal ~$130–$3,0004
Base Package Crossgrade ~25–2002 Most3 Great Deal ~$35–$1604
Minimal Crossgrade ~402 Many3 Good Deal $69.95
Free Core Engine None Some3 Free $0

1 Plus your current resources, which will move over to Logos 4 at no additional charge.

2 Numbers are estimates and will vary depending on what you already own.

3 Depends in part on which base package level you’re at.

4 With special, limited-time discounts.

21 Responses to “4 Ways to Move to Logos 4”

1. Jeff Wild December 25, 2009 at 8:00 am #

Merry Christmas,
    I am totally new to your company and software. I found you while searching for information about the Anchor Bible. I have downloaded the Librivox Digital Library System, but I guess that doesn’t give me access to any books.
    I believe I would like to get the Silver option for Logos 4, since I am interested in much of the Jewish materials that come with it. However, I feel like I need to get a taste of the system, since I have never used any bible software, before making such an investment.
    How would you recommend it do that?
    With warmest regards,
    Jeff

2. Phil Gons December 25, 2009 at 9:21 am #

Jeff, that’s where our 30-day money-back guarantee comes in handy. You can buy the software with the security that you can evaluate it and keep it only if you like it. Very few return it after trying it, but at least the option is there if you need it.
    A second option, downloading the free engine and a few free books, it’s really a good one. You won’t get near the true experience of what the software can do, so you’d be making a very uninformed decision.
    Hope this helps.

3. Brad Rosel December 25, 2009 at 10:08 am #

Merry Christmas Jeff,
    I’m not a Logos employee, but I own the older Logos 3 and I’ve upgraded to Logos 4. I can tell you that Logos is THE best Bible software you will ever purchase. The features, functionality and customer service are second to none. I’ve used other Bible sofware and I have friends that have different software but Logos is definitely better.
    Three things come to mind that speak for Logos. Logos wrote the software for the Libronix interace which other companies use because of it’s superior library handling capability and functionality. The simplicity of the interface combined with the power of the passage guide, exegetical guide and word study tools makes this a powerful study tool for everyone whether a beginner or advanced user. The new graphics and photo features flesh out the software beautifully and make studies come alive.
    I believe that you will be very pleased and excited if you choose to make Logos Bible Software your next study tool.
    Oh yeah, I have many Jewish study materials in my library and I’ve added many more through the Pre-Publication program. It’s a great way to add resources for a really great price.
    Merry Christmas and happy studying with your new Logos Christmas toy.

4. Willie V December 25, 2009 at 12:11 pm #

I have had various levels of Logos for about 3 years now. I recently upgraded from Scholar 3 to Silver 4. This is such an effective way to bring different aspects of the Bible to others. I use the software to prepare Bible study lessons for an adult 35ish to 55ish age group. Many have grown up in the church and Logos helps me offer them new information and perspectives.

5. Rob Wurm December 25, 2009 at 1:30 pm #

I just downloaded the Leader Logos 4 software. Is there a journaling feature?
    Rob

6. Douglas December 25, 2009 at 2:46 pm #

To Jeff and to all in his same situation. Purchasing with a payment plan option is the best option. You will only make the initial payment (somewhere around $80 bucks more or less) for the Platinum edition and if you don’t like it you can return it for a full refund no questions asked (They really mean that). That way you only give a “deposit” if you want to call it that, and you get to test drive it and again, if you like it you keep it, if you don’t then return it and it won’t hurt your budget. I had Scholar’s Gold ND, but with the great amount of resources at a very cheap price, I decided to upgrade to Scholar’s Platinum and I can assure you is the best deal for your money. You will be investing in a digital library that will never lose its value. Plus, if you move you don’t have to carry your books in a bunch of boxes, one box for your laptap or computer will do ;-) I own a little over 1700 titles and trust me, it wouldn’t be fun carrying some of those if I had them in print. Anyway, I hope this helps! Merry Christmas and a Happy New year! God bless!

7. Phil Gons December 25, 2009 at 3:12 pm #

Congrats on your new purchase. There isn’t a jounaling feature, buy you might want to check out Notes and Clippings.

8. Siak Foong December 26, 2009 at 12:16 am #

Can anyone advise me as to how I can use the tag in the library tab. I have bought Biblical Counselling bundle, I thought of tagging it as a group, but I do not know how to tag these books together. Thanks

9. Rob Wurm December 26, 2009 at 9:17 am #

Phil, thanks I will check that out. Merry Christmas!

10. Patrick December 26, 2009 at 12:24 pm #

I’ve got Logos 3 Silver pack and through the years have purchased many other books which I found was included in the higher packages….
    Does Logos take in account of all my past purchases and give a good discount?
    It seems it is considering only the Silver pack I have bought…
    Merry Christmas!

11. Marcus December 26, 2009 at 4:16 pm #

Merry Christmas Jeff,
    I’m not a blog user, however, I have been using Logos (version 3) for over 7 years now and I thought I had the best bible software to study God’s word in version 3. I’m so in love with this software that I decided to upgrade to version 4 (platinuim). All I can say is there is no other way to study God’s word than to use Logos Bible Software. Version 4 has really open my way of studying and help me make preparation for speaking God’s word. To have over 900 some books in this library means I would have to build a new room in my house to fit all of those books. Now they are at touch of one search request. This is the best investment for my spiritual growth and is worth the cost.

12. Phil Gons December 28, 2009 at 9:25 am #

The list of books on the upgrade page doesn’t take into account anything you own outside of your base package when it shows you what new books you’ll get, but the upgrade price *does* take other things into consideration when it calculates your discounted price.

13. Bruce December 29, 2009 at 8:00 am #

I’m planning to do the Minimal Crossgrade. That page on your site says there are no discounts available, but I’m wondering if there is an expiration date on the posted price. I’m going to be purchasing a new computer soon, and I don’t want to bother installing it on my current one, yet I don’t want to miss the current price if it’s going to go up after the end of the year holiday season. Could you confirm that the $69.95 price will be around for a couple of months?
    Thanks.

14. Phil Gons December 29, 2009 at 4:39 pm #

Since the Minimal Crossgrade is not discounted, I don’t think the price will go up soon if at all. I can’t guarantee that, but it seems unlikely.

15. Elaine Kemp January 4, 2010 at 1:44 pm #

I have the basic Logos on my PC. I have now bought a Mac. I want to begin using my Mac. How do I upgrade if I have switched from PC to MAC?
    Also I am transferring from ekemp@mindspring.com to ekemp@ipriority.com.

16. Phil Gons January 4, 2010 at 1:58 pm #

Elaine, since Logos 4 is multi-platform (though the Mac version is still in alpha), you can simply upgrade from either Logos 3 for Windows or Logos 1 for Mac to Logos 4 and then run Logos 4 your Mac, PC, iPhone, or iPod Touch. If you don’t feel comfortable running the Mac version while it’s in alpha, you can download our previous generation engine and use it as well.
    Switching your email addresses won’t be a problem since you log in to Logos 4 with the email address you use to log in to the Logos.com websites.
    Hope this helps.

17. Phil Gons January 11, 2010 at 11:32 am #

Open Library and use Shift or Control to select all of the books you want to tag. Then click the information button (it’s a small i with a circle around it). Then click the “add tag” link to add a tag to all selected books. Type in your tag, and hit enter to apply it.

18. W Melvin Watson January 17, 2010 at 12:05 pm #

I have Logos version 3 the Leaders guide. What would it cost to upgrade to version 4 Leaders guide or a better set up. I have also upgraded my computers and have a new notebook with Microsoft Windows-7 system on it. Will I have a problem installing Logos 3 and then updating to Logos 4 on the notebook?
    Thanks,
    Melvin Watosn

19. Phil Gons January 18, 2010 at 9:51 am #

Melvin, you can find your special upgrade discount options by visiting our upgrade page. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to call our Sales department at 800-875-6467.
    Both Logos 3 and Logos 4 will run great on Windows 7.

20. Samuel Oltz January 29, 2010 at 11:36 am #

I’m a current Scholar’s Gold owner who purchased the Mac crossgrade when it first came out. I’m bummed now that I have to pay again even for the core engine if I want to run it on my Mac. Windows users don’t have to pay to use the Logos 4 core engine, so why do Mac users? I paid good money for something you’re giving away for free now. Other reputable companies have given exceptions (rebates, future discounts) to previous buyers for software or hardware they’ve discounted . It makes good business and keeps users happy.

21. Phil Gons January 29, 2010 at 2:14 pm #

You don’t have to pay for the core engine. It’s free, both for Windows and for Mac. This blog post should help you understand your options: 4 Ways to Move to Logos 4.