Phonetic Searching

Phonetic Searching

Want to search for Greek and Hebrew words? With the launch of Logos Bible Software 4, we’ve added a feature which makes it easier to search in Greek and Hebrew, especially if you’re unfamiliar with the original languages.

Logos 4 lets you type phonetically and have Greek and Hebrew words displayed in the drop-down box. In the search box, start with g: for Greek or h: for Hebrew. For example, when you type g:agape, Logos 4 knows you’re probably looking for ἀγάπη. If you’re not, then you also have the option to select similar words, like ἀγαπητός. These words appear in a drop-down menu as you type. If you’re preaching on 1 Corinthians 13 next Sunday or leading a Bible study on the Beloved Disciple, searches like this can speed up your study.

If you don’t know Greek or Hebrew, but you’re familiar with words like agape, you can still search the original language texts with phonetic searching in Logos 4. This is just one small way Logos 4 makes the original languages more easily accessible to more people.

Phonetic searching—like many of the new features—is intuitive. As you type, Logos 4 guesses what you’re looking for, and presents you with search options as you type. It’s a quick and easy way to search for Greek and Hebrew words.

What are you waiting for? Open Logos 4 and give it a try!

9 Responses to “Phonetic Searching”

1. Steve Maling November 24, 2009 at 8:06 am #

This IS a great feature.
    BUT, many of us users need the capability of typing in the original languages PLEASE, PLEASE restore the capability we had in L3, namely the Greek and Hebrew keyboards.
    And many thanks for all the other great advances in L4.
    Steve

2. Kent Hendricks November 24, 2009 at 8:46 am #

Steve,

All of our ancient language keyboards for Logos 3 still work in Logos 4, and with Windows 7:

Windows Keyboards for Ancient Languages

You might also want to check out these posts in the forums about using the ancient language keyboards in Logos 4:

Greek-Hebrew Keyboards

Searching for a Hebrew word in a dictionary

Can’t find greek/hebrew keyboard option

Hope this helps.

3. Sam_Shaw November 24, 2009 at 9:41 am #

I have never heard a sermon that was enhanced by drawing out the meaning of a word in it’s original language. Could you imagine Jesus commentating on his own sermons? “Well what that one word technically means is…”––no, that’s silly. He’d much more likely say something like, “Why I said that to him was…”, or, “What was going on in that conversation was…”, or ,”I knew what their hearts were thinking, which is why I said…”
    If someone asked me what I meant, I wouldn’t start with defining “commentating” or “enhanced”. I’d explain what I meant by adding to it or rewording it in a different way.

4. Bruce Junkermann November 24, 2009 at 10:00 am #

I noticed in the image on this blog entry that both greek and english words come up as you type. I cant seem to replicate that. Any suggestions?

5. Kent Hendricks November 24, 2009 at 10:36 am #

Bruce,
    In Bible Word Study (pictured above) and Morphological Search, you’ll see both Greek and English.
    In the basic search and the Bible search, you’ll see only Greek.

6. Sonshine November 24, 2009 at 12:20 pm #

Thank you for the opportunity to learn more about this product. It looks very helpful for putting together sermons.

7. Sidney November 24, 2009 at 8:33 pm #

Shalom,
    I have heard many sermons which amplified the original words of Scripture. The reason why Yeshua wouldn’t say what that a word means is because he’s speaking to native in their native tongue. He’s in context. So, I agree that would be silly. The obscurity comes from our versions of his words.

8. Steve Maling November 24, 2009 at 9:04 pm #

Kent, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I’ve installed the Greek keyboard and will do the Hebrew soon. Actually, I had already been following some of the posts in the Fora, but didn’t comprehend that the keyboards for L3 are fully functional in L4. Your wording got through my fog of misunderstanding. I’m one of those neophytes who need some persistence to figure out out how to find unzipped files, etc. But God is gracious even unto such as I:-)
    Steve

9. Phil Layton November 24, 2009 at 11:17 pm #

Passage Guide just keeps getting better! Keep up the great work Logos!!
    Phil, can you please pass along suggestion for Passage Guide to include an equivalent for text sermons owned in Logos format (“Logos Sermon Books” or some equivalent) where the sermon has the text you specified as the primary text, as opposed to just including collections for resources that may include the reference instead of being a sermon on that text and therefore not as relevant
    Ex: John Piper Manuscript Library
    Sermons of George Whitefield and John Wesley
    Spurgeon’s Sermons
    A Treasury of Great Preaching
    I built PBB index resources for these for myself to alert me to sermons dedicated to a text I have in my library as well as John MacArthur’s sermons with links to at the gty.org website but this would be great to make available to others with hyperlinks.
    The 2nd suggestion would be to search Journals where the text is indicated in the “Heading” field (I also made myself PBB resources with all the headings in Journals 1-10 to give me most relevant hits in passage guide but this would be a great enhancement to Passage Guide and to searches in general to be able to search on Heading fields)
    Thanks!