Introducing Logos Bible Software 4: Portfolio Edition

Logos Bible Software 4: Portfolio Edition

You might want to stop reading right now and close this web page—this is probably not for you.

Almost everyone choosing to continue reading this post after such a stern warning, still won’t be in the market for this collection. It is so massive and out of reach for the average consumer that we almost didn’t tell people about it at all. Think of it like the super-secret Centurion Card. Only a handful of people will ever own this package—and that’s okay—it is not for everyone.

We realize we are taking a big risk even telling people about this package at all. It is sure to be misunderstood and criticized for stereotypical American extravagance, excess, greed, pride, or .

The reason we are taking the risk to even discuss it, is because we tried to hide it from the beginning and when people heard about it later, they complained that we never let them know to begin with. As you will see in the following description, the Portfolio Edition is the best way to get the largest library of quality content at the lowest possible price. You’ll read more later, but to give you a preview, it contains over $31,000.00 worth of print titles (more than 1,550 resources) all for pennies on the dollar. Don’t let the price-tag fool you—it is actually the most economical way to build the largest library we have ever offered.

Base packages always offer the best chance to get the most content at the lowest price, and bigger base packages are better deals. Since the biggest base package is always the best deal, some customers just want the biggest and best. It affords them the chance to save the most on their books and resources.

Until recently, our largest base package had always been Scholar’s Library: Gold. It’s a great deal, packed with hundreds of Bibles, commentaries, reference material, and lots of other resources. But with the release of Logos Bible Software 4, the time was right to introduce a bigger base package—much bigger.

Introducing Logos Bible Software 4: Portfolio Edition.

Portfolio is by far the largest library we’ve ever offered. It represents a major milestone in the publication of biblical and theological reference books, with more than 1,550 resources. Here are some highlights:

• 450+ Volumes of Bible Commentaries. The Pillar New Testament Commentary, the New International Greek Testament Commentary, the New American Commentary, the Baker New Testament Commentary, the UBS Handbook Series, the JPS Tanakh Commentaries, Keil & Delitzsch, Charles Simeon’s Horae Homileticae, the Holman New Testament Commentary, and several more sets are included in Portfolio.
  • Greek and Hebrew Helps.100+ volumes of grammars, lexicons, and more for Greek and Hebrew study. You’ll also find dozens of original language texts, including the major Greek and Hebrew texts.
  • Preaching and Ministry. Portfolio comes with over 100 resources on preaching, teaching, and ministry, including 10,000+ sermon illustrations, quotations, and other helps. It also includes an 80-volume ministry resource library, with resources on everything from youth ministry to small groups.
  • Theological Study. Nearly 300 resources from the church’s most influential theologians, such as Wolfhart Pannenberg, Lewis Sperry Chafer, A. W. Pink, Carl F. H. Henry, Charles Hodge, John Piper, R. A. Torrey, and dozens more. You’ll also find volumes on topics such as baptism, creation, election, ecclesiology, sin, and more.

To put this in perspective, if you were building a print library this big, you would need to buy a book every week for the next 29 years, and you would spend more than $31,000 for the print editions (not adjusted for inflation). To store all your books, you would need over 160 feet of new shelf space—that’s a dozen new bookcases. With print, however, you wouldn’t have any of the high speed search functionality, Passage Guides and Exegetical Guides, media resources, Word Studies, customization, or any of the other new features in Logos Bible Software 4.

The price of Portfolio is similar to what you would pay for only a few of the print commentary sets, except with Portfolio, you’ll get the commentaries you want, plus over a thousand additional books, all for the same price. Better yet, spread out the cost over the next year with a payment plan. You can apply your monthly book budget to each payment to begin using your entire library right away.

If you’re a power user, and you want a lot of new content at some of the best prices you’ll ever find, consider upgrading to Logos Bible Software 4: Portfolio Edition.

We want to make sure it is crystal clear once more—this is probably not for you.If you are happy with your existing library and never plan on buying a book again, just move along, there’s nothing to see here. However, if you are like a lot of book lovers, and you realize that you are already spending your book budget, your travel budget, your kids education fund, your entertainment budget, and your milk money on more and more books—and have already spent thousands of dollars on books in the past few years—you would be crazy not to get this.

Take this “kitchen sink” now to end your book purchasing habit once and for all, then start saving your money, give your money away, be more hospitable, care for the poor, bless your church, family and friends, take your wife/husband/kids on a trip, buy Logos for someone that can’t afford it at all… “Love God, and do as you please.”

If you already have a Logos base package, we have some limited time introductory offers available for upgrades to the Portfolio Edition. Visit our custom upgrade discount calculator to see what discounts you qualify for.

Not ready for the Portfolio Edition, but looking for something smaller?
New customers should visit http://www.logos.com/4 to learn more and see what discounts are currently available on all of our base packages.

Visit our custom upgrade discount calculator to see what discounts you qualify for on an upgrade to the brand new Logos 4 base packages.

18 Responses to “Introducing Logos Bible Software 4: Portfolio Edition”

1. Douglas November 12, 2009 at 7:45 am #

Wow,
    It’s amazing! But honestly, the only set I’d love to have from the Portafolio Package (and will probably get it later) is the College Press NIV OT & NT Commentary sets. I upgraded to logos 4 Gold as soon as I heard it was out, and then ended up upgrading to Platinum because I couldn’t resist the other sets of commentaries and books that were so cheap by getting the upgrade; but on Portafolio, I guess the intro says it right, “It’s not for everyone” — I mean, I wouldn’t mind having it, but I’m really content with what I have now. I hope those who can afford it get to enjoy it, because the content is by far the largest I’ve seen. It will keep anyone stuck looking at the screen for hours looking here and there…hehehe. Anyway, thanks Logos for making your base packages affordable and thanks especially for your payment plan program, it really helps those of us who cannot pay full price up front!

2. David November 12, 2009 at 9:15 am #

I just happen to be tooling around and found out about “the Portfolio Edition” I immediately called a Pastor friend in Orlando and had him to pray for me,(while I had already called and got the numbers for an up-grade). While he was praying and laughing at me, I had to confess to him, prayer wasn’t working, hurry up and hang up so I could call back and finialize the deal. I enrolled in “LOGOS anonymous” right after I up-graded to Gold several years ago, but soon dropped out. I’m not addicted, I can stop anytime I want, right? But honestly, this is “huge” and great for me. I love books having them at finger tip is fantastic. This was designed with me in mind, thank you. Logos Camp here I come, God bless you.

3. SteveC November 12, 2009 at 12:47 pm #

You were right, i should have steered off this page.
    I almost choked when i saw the price. hahahaha

4. thuy le November 12, 2009 at 11:16 pm #

Dear Logos,
    The package was great but it is out of reach for most people. Some of the commentary sets are good but others you might never have a chance to read them. Just like you said, 1 book per week for the next 29 years.
    Could you break down the price for each of the bundles and commentaries so we can just add on to our collections and do not have to buy the whole lot.
    Thuy

5. Dan Pritchett November 12, 2009 at 11:41 pm #

Yup! Pick the titles you like and search for them on Logos.com and you will see that we have almost all of them available individually or as sets.

6. Brad Rosel November 13, 2009 at 6:44 am #

Thank you Logos for creating such a fantastic new tool to use for study, teaching and preaching. I’m definitely a book junky, but since the price of Portfolio is up there (not out of line). Would you consider increasing the length of your payment plan to accommodate more pockets that are interested in this gargantuan library?

7. Joan Korte November 13, 2009 at 10:48 am #

And I was all set for a huge XMAS present this year-could of had it, but most of the titles I either already have or wouldn’t use. Thanks for the offer!

8. Matt November 13, 2009 at 2:43 pm #

Portfolio is a good deal, but comparing the cost to print isn’t exactly valid as many of the titles are public domain. Digital pdf versions are available free online for much of the collection.
    Most of the materials listed in this blog are available in GOLD or PLATINUM packages. However, there are some great collections that upgrading to Portfolio give – Dead Sea Scroll, Gnostic and Apocryphal, JPS Commentaries, etc.
    For the money, I would probably first invest in a couple top commentary series (NICOT/NICNT, Anchor Yale, Hermeneia, WBC).

9. Nathan Parker November 14, 2009 at 12:36 pm #

When it has the stock options and board of directors qualifications I mentioned on the forums, let me know. :-)

10. Tony Festa November 14, 2009 at 5:36 pm #

“You made me do it, I didn’t want to do it” Like the line from that song says, once I saw this library, I couldn’t dial fast enough to get it. I don’t think I’ll be buying anything else for quite some time so please don’t realease anything bigger, anytime soon, or I’m in big trouble!
    Seriously though you are not going to find a better value anywhere and if you like doing thourough research than this is the libraey for you. By the way you just left the other Bible programs in the dust. May God continue to bless and prosper you.

11. Rosie Perera November 21, 2009 at 5:44 am #

Well, I am disappointed. It doesn’t meet my needs at all. I was filling up my shopping cart with some more books that I had been lusting after for a while, and the total had gotten up to around $2000 when I took a break (there was still more to add; I usually let myself dream big and add everything I might possibly want and then remove a bunch to get it back down to an affordable price). During my break, I read this blog entry and clicked to see how much it would cost me to upgrade to the Portfolio Edition. Turned out to be $2,182.50. So I thought maybe I should get that instead if it included all the books I wanted. No such luck. It included only five titles from my wishlist (totaling about $950), but did not include any of these other items I wanted (totalling about $3,640 — yes, my total list would have been over $4500 if I’d had my druthers):
    • Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament
    • Dictionary for Theological Interpretation of the Bible
    • The Amplified Bible
    • Nelson Study Bible
    • The Complete Works of Francis A. Schaeffer (22 Titles in 5 Vols.)
    • Historical Interpreters Collection (2 Vols.)
    • Theological Lexicon of the New Testament (3 Vol.)
    • Theological Lexicon of the Old Testament (3 Vol.)
    • Lexham Discourse Greek New Testament Bundle (6 Vols.)
    • The New Testament in the Apostolic Fathers
    • Greek Audio New Testament
    • Hebrew New Testament
    • More Light on the Path: Daily Scripture Readings in Hebrew and Greek
    • An Introduction to Biblical Hebrew Syntax (Waltke/O’Connor)
    • A Greek Grammar of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature
    • The Vocabulary of the Greek Testament (Moulton & Milligan)
    • Luther’s Works
    • The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (Gibbon)
    • The Reformation Study Bible
    • Westminster Confession of Faith, including the Larger and Shorter Catechisms
    • Christian Educator’s Collection (3 Vols.)
    • Collegeville Catholic Reference Library: Full Edition, Version 3
    • Works of John Bunyan (61 titles)
    • International Critical Commentary Series CD-ROM – T&T Clark Int’l (53 Vols.)
    • Stuttgart Electronic Study Bible (SESB), Version 3.0 (52 Vols.)
    • Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics
    So, I guess I won’t be getting the Portfolio Edition, but will go back to whittling down my shopping list to something more manageable and save the rest for some other time… :-(

12. JJ November 22, 2009 at 7:45 pm #

Yes, but the Qumran database should be added to the Dead Sea Scrolls collection of Portfolio.

13. dapazz November 23, 2009 at 8:15 am #

I am wishing/hoping that Logos will take the total amount that I have spent on Prepubs and subtract it from the retail price for Platinum Logos 4.0 and give me that price!!

14. dapazz November 23, 2009 at 8:19 am #

I am right in thinking (after looking at the comparison chart that the Lenski NT commentaries are not included in the Portfolio Edition?

15. Dan Pritchett November 23, 2009 at 10:24 am #

In a way we do something very similar, but at retail price for retail price, not retail price for sale price.
    Each custom discount takes into consideration limited time introductory offers, the packages you already own, your purchase history, Pre-Pub orders, date of base package purchase, and overall transactions, to come up with an upgrade discount specifically for you.
    The thing to keep in mind is that the Portfolio is discounted already to pennies on the dollar, so for example if we discount the portfolio we would also need to discount your past purchases. Or we could think of it as a retail to retail comparison. So for example, Portfolio has $31,000.00 or so of resources at about 90% off on sale. If you had the same $31,000.00 in purchases on the same titles, your upgrade would be free.

16. Dan Pritchett November 23, 2009 at 10:27 am #

Correct, Lenski is not included in any base package.

17. dapazz November 27, 2009 at 8:53 am #

Allow me present a slightly different perspective. I originally purchased a Logos “set” back when it was called Logos v. 4 (back in Windows 3.11 days). Later I bought the complete Nelson set. Later I bought the WBC set. In addition, since 2000 until now I have spent $3,835.98 on “prepubs”. Had I simply kept my 3 set purchases and not bought any “prepubs,” I could have save the nearly $4,000 and now buy the Portfolio. I would then have all the title (or very nearly) that I now have and many many many more as well. All for the same money. Instead, as a reward for my helping finance the develop of new titles, I get a 25% discount for any set. Oh well! I still enjoy Logos.
    Kevin

18. Jeff Cash September 24, 2011 at 6:22 am #

Eleven months ago I purchased the Portfolio Edition as well a large collection of journals and magazines. I spread the payments over twelve months so I have only one payment left. I am a missionary in Uganda so the digital format is great. I carry a powerful theological library everywhere I take my macbook pro. I can be sitting in a hut and pull out my laptop and do serious deep study. It’s amazing!
    The search engine on the Logos Bible software 4 pulls up so much information. I also can read some of the books on my ipad which is nice.
    Having all of these resources at my fingertips has been a real help to my sermon and seminar preparation. I’ve also enjoyed just reading for fun. So for me it was a real investment, one that I am thankful to have been able to make.
    I love it! Maybe someday Logos will have an upgrade and make this amazing base library even better.