Tyndale Commentaries and Bavinck’s Reformed Dogmatics on Pre-Pub

Commentaries and theology books are two of our top selling categories of resources. That’s to be expected, because they are two of the best kinds of tools for helping Christians grow in their understanding of the Bible, and understanding the Bible is at the heart of Christianity.

Commentaries analyze the Bible sentence by sentence, paragraph by paragraph, book by book and help you understand it in its original context. Most commentaries also point you in the direction of application to life in the 21st century. Commentaries answer the question, “What does this passage of Scripture mean?”

Systematic theology books help you understand the Bible topically. They synthesize its teaching and organize it by its major themes: God, the Bible, man, sin, Christ’s person and work, the Spirit’s person and work, salvation, the church, the future, etc. Systematic theology books answer the question, “What does the Bible teach on this subject?”

Both are important tools to have in your digital library, and we just added two wonderful sets to these two categories last night.

Tyndale Commentaries

Tyndale Commentaries CD-ROM (49 Vols.) The Tyndale Old Testament Commentary (TOTC) and the Tyndale New Testament Commentary (TNTC) together form one of the best series of commentaries covering every book of the Bible. These volumes are known for their concise, to-the-point explanations of Scripture and are useful for scholars, pastors, and lay Bible students alike.

These 49 volumes cover more than 12,000 pages and would cost you almost $600 in print, but we’re offering the set for only $164.95. That’s less than $3.50 per volume.

Pre-order this set today. See more commentaries in our Commentaries Product Guide.

Herman Bavinck’s Reformed Dogmatics

Reformed Dogmatics, by Herman Bavinck (4 Vols.)Among the ranks of Calvin’s Institutes of the Christian Religion, Turretin’s Institutes of Elenctic Theology, Hodge’s Systematic Theology, and Berkhof’s Systematic Theology, Bavinck’s Reformed Dogmatics is one of the most significant expositions of the Reformed faith ever written. According to Richard Gaffin, it may be “the most important systematic theology ever produced in the Reformed tradition.”

This 4-volume, 3,008-page set has for the first time been translated into English from its original Dutch, bringing the best of Dutch Reformed theology to the English-speaking world.

Pre-order this set today.

What commentaries and theology books would you like to see next?

You should follow us on Twitter here.

Comments

1. Phil this is a good post thanks. I like to wait till they’re going out to purchase. So, could you please remind us or give us a last call right before they come out. Also please do that for any pre-pub resource.
    Thanks,
    Paul R.

2. I would like to see The Bible Speaks Today Series on the Old Testament, New Interpreter’s Bible, Zondervan’s NIV Application Commentary, and Individual volume purchase of The Anchor Yale Bible and The New International Commentary on the Old and New Testament

3. Commentary set: William Barclay’s Daily Bibles Study NT series

4. Sweet! Thank you very much for putting these out!

5. Thanks, Paul. I’m curious why you like to wait until the end. The price is usually better when we first announce them, and you can always cancel your pre-order later if you can’t afford it or change your mind and don’t want it. Ordering early is definitely the best way to go to get the best price.
    We sound out a last chance email on many but not all products a week or two before they ship. I’m guessing we’ll do that for these, but I can’t say for sure.
    Thanks for your feedback. I’ll see about making the last chance emails a routine part of every product. The problem is that not everyone wants that many emails from us. Perhaps we can create a separate subscription option for last chance emails.

6. Robin Koshy says:

I am currently using the print version of Nehemiah, by Kidner in Tyndale’s OT commentary for my Sunday sermons. It is a good resource and every other commentator on Nehemiah seems to refer to Kidner’s work….so I’m excited about this new prepub!
    I would like to see Bible Speaks Today in the OT (Ray Brown’s Nehemiah is also excellent) on LOGOS as well as Holman OT Commentary set (Max Anders, ed.). I saw the Holman Set for another Bible software company recently. Let’s get it on LOGOS as well!
    Thanks Logos for continuing to produce these excellent resources!
    Rob Koshy

7. Steve Maling says:

Hi, Phil,
    Thanks for asking what commentaries we would like to see next.
    I would REALLY like to purchase individual volumes from commentary sets like Hermeneia and The Anchor Bible.
    Given my age, the higher price of individual volumes is much cheaper than the lower price/volume of the sets.
    I’m more than grateful to three publishers for making it possible to purchase individual volumes from the Word Biblical Commentary (Nelson),The New International Greek Testament Commentary (Eerdmans), and the International Critical Commentary (T&T Clark).
    Grace, mercy, and peace,
    Steve

8. Robbie G says:

Phil,
    Knowing that most Logos users are probably pastors/teachers, has any thought been given to offer commentaries in Bible book sets (e.g. “Commentaries on the Book of Ephesians”) including books from multiple sets in the compilation?

9. I would love to see the NIV Application Series on Logos. I use those commentaries all the time in the office and would love to have them in Logos… plus, I could sell off my hard copies and replace them with digital ones!!! :-)
    Jim

10. Bohuslav Wojnar says:

Yes, NIV Application series would be great and also The Expositor’s Bible Commentary Series. Will we ever see those in Logos? Are there any negotiations with Zondervan on the matter?

11. Philana Crouch says:

I would second the NIV Application Commentary and Expositor’s, I know they do have digital copies, at least for Expositors, but I tried a Bible with their Pradis software and hated it, it doesn’t compare to Logos. I hope we could get these for Logos sometime.

12. How about a “Create you own commentary series” program where individual commentary purchased over a certain dollar amount(s) get a percentage discount off your everyday price? You may want to also consider graded discounts depending on the total amount ordered with a greater percent savings applied to higher dollar amounts purchased. For example, purchases over $100 get 10% discount; over $200 get 15% discount ; over $300…50% discount (I’m kidding. :D); etc. That would help fixed-income guys like myself a huge load.

13. David Buckham says:

ditto what Robbie G said. If I am preaching a series on Ephesians (which I am) I would love to see a “bundle” or “favorite” collection of Ephesians commentaries. And bring back Barclay…please.
    all about Christ,
    David Buckham

14. Phil Gons says:

I’ve given a lot of thought to doing this and think it has a lot of potential. However, there are some obstacles to overcome.
    First, licensing restrictions sometimes don’t allow books to be sold outside of their original collection or for books from one publisher to be sold with books from another publisher.
    Second, collections like these would be hard to keep up to date. We’re always adding new commentary series, so virtually every one of these individual book collections would be in need of being updated constantly.
    Third, it poses problems for getting the new volumes to people who already purchased the previous collection on, say, Ephesians. In addition to updating the original collections, would we need to make lots of upgrade collections to allow you to get all the Ephesians commentaries constantly coming out? Or would you just have to buy individual Ephesians commentaries from then on?
    Finally, this introduces greater potential for duplicate content and paying for the same content twice. We don’t have a good system in place to charge you only for the content that you don’t already have.
    All that to say, we’ll give some more thought to how we could pull this off.

15. Phil Gons says:

Jonely, this is another great idea we’ve discussed on several occasions. It, too, has some obstacles to overcome. But I’ll bring it back to the table for discussion.

16. Phil,
    May I know if this set of commentary has proper Bible Reference Index? So that I can include them in my Parallel Resources Association, I seen one without Bible Reference index which is not as useable in Libronix. By any chance this comes with topic index? just trying :)
    Cheers
    JK

17. Like Robin, I’m using Kidner as I’m preaching through Nehemiah and love it. Thanks for bringing us this series.
    I echo those who would love to see Expositor’s and NIVAC. Another excellent one to consider is McComiskey’s three volumes on the Minor Prophets.
    Thanks again for putting out such good resources that I’m always broke!

18. I also agree with Jonely that building our own commentary set would be the most beneficial option. Most of these commentaries can be purchased as individual books…wouldn’t it be possible to do the same with the electronic edition?

19. Hi Phil,
    I did a search for Francis Turretin Institutes of Elenctic Theology on the Logos website. Sad to say, no hits returned :-)
    What a day it will be, when Turretin’s Institutes makes it into Logos! Phil, i am sure you do respect the judgment of Richard Gaffin, if not mine.:-) Please could we have this forgotten work of Francis Turretin in Logos.

20. We’re working hard to make it happen. Hopefully eventually it’ll make its way to the Pre-Pub page as well!

21. My biggest request would be individually available volumes of the New International Commentary on the Old/New Testament.
    Second request would be the Brazos Theological Commentary on the Bible series. I can’t wait to get my eyes on Pelikan’s Acts volume, Hauerwas’ Matthew volume, and Ephraim Radner’s Leviticus!

22. Thanks Phil, i will be staying tuned & watching the Pre-pub page.

23. Sorry, late to the conversation.
    I’ll second the New Interpreter’s Bible series.
    Also, I’d like to see the Westminster Bible Companion series (Westminster John Knox Press).

24. Another vote for the New Interpreter’s Bible commentary series. That would be fantastic! Is anything in the works?

25. Thanks for the comment. I’m not aware of anything. But we’ll keep working on it.