Logos Bible Software on an SD Card

Netbooks like the Acer Aspire One, ASUS Eee PC, Dell Inspiron Mini, HP Mini, Lenovo IdeaPad, and MSI Wind are rapidly growing in popularity due to the amount of computer they pack into such a portable size at such a low price point.

One of the things that allows these devices to be so small is the absence of an optical drive. But with no DVD/CD drive, how are you supposed to install your software? There are a few ways to do it (e.g., see this support article), but they can be overly complicated for many users.

Most software still comes on a CD or DVD, but software companies are looking to alternate delivery methods to accommodate the growing number of computers without optical drives. Moving to downloadable software is one solution. It’s something we’ve been doing for a while with most of our add-on collections and books, and it’s something we’re considering for our base collections in the future.

Another option is to move to a smaller, more universal media format—and nothing is hotter right now than flash. The most popular and universal form of flash memory is the USB thumb drive. Every computer has a USB port. But thumb drives have the disadvantage of protruding outside of the computer, making them not a very good choice for long-term use; and they tend to be a tad pricier than other forms of flash memory.

For these reasons we’ve decided to start delivering a media-only* version of our base packages via SD cards. Most if not all netbooks have built-in SD card readers, and since the SD card doesn’t stick out, you can leave it in and run your books right off the card if you need the extra space on your internal hard drive or SSD.

We’re now selling 2GB and 4GB versions of our Media-Only SD Cards. If you purchase Christian Home Library, Bible Study Library, or Leader’s Library, you’ll need only the 2GB version. But if you think you might upgrade down the road, you might want to consider purchasing the 4GB version to give you the ability to expand your library without having to purchase an additional card later. Original Languages Library and Scholar’s Library (all three flavors) will need the 4GB version.

* “Media-only” means you’ll have to add it on to a base package purchase in order to unlock any of the included books.

You should follow us on Twitter here.

19 Responses to “Logos Bible Software on an SD Card”

1. Mitch Davis July 23, 2009 at 4:26 am #

Logos…you continue to lead the industry in innovative ways. Another great feature!

2. john Kuvakas July 23, 2009 at 7:04 am #

This is a great idea and much welcomed. I have an Aspire netbook. When I bought it, I also picked up a ‘Tornado” a really great device that allows one computer to show up as a hard drive on another. This made it easy to copy my data from my primary laptop to the Aspire. Currently, I have to use the Tornado to sync the two computers each time i get a new book or set of books. Aside from the Tornado being $40, it is bulky and time consuming.
    It’s great to see that Logos is always looking for new ways to serve its loyal fans and clients! Now….bring us v4!

3. robert austell July 23, 2009 at 7:34 am #

And unless I’m mistaken, users could also copy their own books onto an SD card themselves. (I guess that’s implied in the article, or maybe just obvious…) Just didn’t want someone who already has Logos on a desktop to think they had to re-purchase the media-SD card from Logos if they want to have it on a netbook.

4. Martin Burch July 23, 2009 at 7:53 am #

YESSS! This is why Logos is the leader! Don’t have a netbook at the moment, but both my laptops have built-in SD readers and this just makes sense!

5. Bura Lee Robinson III July 23, 2009 at 8:07 am #

When we be able to read logos books on the Amazon Kindle or have Blackbery or I-Touch/Phone applications?

6. Phil Gons July 23, 2009 at 8:07 am #

Thanks for the feedback, John. BTW, you may want to check out last week’s post on syncing if you haven’t already. It has mentions some free software for keeping Logos in sync on multiple computers.

7. Phil Gons July 23, 2009 at 8:13 am #

Robert, you’re not mistaken. Users could do this on their own, but they’d need an 8GB SD card since our DVD is dual layer–unless all they wanted to put on the card is their books and not the installer, addins, data files, etc.

8. Sorin Deac July 23, 2009 at 9:30 am #

That sounds great,
    I have an Acer One, and love this puppy. I am running Logos off the hdd at the moment, but it’s only a 5.400 rpm. I assume that with an SDHC class 6 I could actually get it to run faster since the search time will drop. Could you direct me to a blog that has the steps to transfer the library to the SD? Or should I install all of Logos on the SD card?

9. Phil Rainey July 23, 2009 at 11:24 am #

I second the need to be able to read logos books on the Amazon Kindle or have Blackbery or I-Touch/Phone applications?

10. Phil Gons July 23, 2009 at 11:46 am #

Sorin, this support article should help you: http://www.logos.com/support/article/2057.

11. Greg Gordon July 23, 2009 at 12:46 pm #

Is there anything Logos has not done!! ? =)

12. Adrian Frost July 23, 2009 at 1:56 pm #

To use all your resources from an SD card:
    1. Copy all of your resource files from C:\Program Files\Libronix DLS\Resources to an SD card.
    2. In Libronix/Logos go to Tools > Options > General > Resource Paths and add the path to your SD card.
    3. Remove references to the original files on your C: drive.
    4. Click on “Refresh Resources”
    5. Restart Libronix/Logos. You should then be accessing all of your resources from the SD card.
    I’ve just done this using an 8Gb SD card “borrowed” from a video camera and it seems to be working well. Books open almost instantly on my Acer Aspire One. haven’t done much searching yet though.

13. Bob Timmers July 23, 2009 at 1:58 pm #

Why couldn’t one simply connect an external CD/DVD drive via USB to load software?

14. Stephen Stallard July 23, 2009 at 3:03 pm #

I also want to be able to use Logos on my SD card enhanced Blackberry!

15. Phil Gons July 23, 2009 at 4:16 pm #

That’s one option, but not everyone has an external drive or is interested in purchasing one.

16. Kyle Kostreva September 15, 2009 at 6:35 am #

I third the need to be able to function with iPod touch/phone or other PDA/smart phone. I work with college students. On the go constantly – discipling, training, dealing with constant “pop-quiz” questions. To not have to constantly carry, dig out, and hide behind a heavy, obtrusive laptop would be wonderful – PDA/iTouch can be in my cargo pocket always ready like my Sword on steroids!

17. jeu en ligne gratuit September 22, 2009 at 4:05 am #

Currently I am running Logos off the hdd at the moment, but it’s only a 5.400 rpm. I assume that with an SDHC class 6 I could actually get it to run faster since the search time will drop. Could you direct me to a blog that has the steps to transfer the library to the SD?

18. Mike April 27, 2010 at 1:29 pm #

I was able to get the Logos base program onto my netbook but, although I have an optical drive and have loaded the rest of my disks onto the netbook, I do not see any of my library in Logos on my netbook

19. Phil Gons April 27, 2010 at 1:41 pm #

Our support team would be happy to help you. Contact them by phone (800-875-6467) or email (support@logos.com).