Grammar Lookup on the Fly

The Exegetical Guide is perfectly suited for digging deep into the grammar and syntax of a passage of Scripture. It provides you with a wealth of information from your grammars, critical apparatuses, lexicons, and more.

When you’ve landed on a particular portion of Scripture that you’re going to study in depth in the original Greek or Hebrew—perhaps for a sermon or paper—the Exegetical Guide is the tool for the task. But sometimes you may just want to see what your grammars have to say about a verse here and there as you’re jumping from passage to passage following cross references and looking at parallel passages. Did you know that you can use the Exegetical Guide for this kind of study as well?

All you need to do is link your Bible to the Exegetical Guide by setting them to share the same link set (e.g., Link Set A), and the Exegetical Guide will follow you wherever you go—providing nearly instant access to every place your grammars discuss the passage you’re looking at. Just click the chain icon at the top of both windows, and set them to the same letter.

To keep the Exegetical Guide as speedy as possible, you can collapse the sections that you’re not as interested in. Just click the minus sign to collapse a section and the plus sign to expand it again.

This is perfect for the times you’re moving around and haven’t settled on just one passage to dig into to. Give it a try. It’s like having someone looking over your shoulder while you’re studying the Bible and finding every occurrence of the passage you’re in in all of your grammars—only instantly!

By the way, you can also do this with the Passage Guide to always have your favorite commentaries just a click away, or with the Reference Browser to have instant access to the places your passage occurs in your favorite collections of books like the Church Fathers, Systematic Theology texts, Old and New Testament Introductions, etc.

You should follow us on Twitter here.

Comments

1. dea1075 says:

Thank you so much. This is very helpful.

2. Ted Hans says:

Thanks Phil, This is really cool. So much to learn about the software that i am barely scratching the surface.
    Also i could not believe my eyes on Pre-pub, Robert L.Thomas An Exegetical Commentary: Revelation (2 Vols.) long awaited & much requested commentary is finally here. Thanks guys, you(Logos) are the best!
    Kind Regards,
    Ted.

3. Excellent – thanks for the tip.

4. Which Exegetical Guide do you refer to…some of us are new to Logos products…

5. You can access the Exegetical Guide from the main toolbar (http://screencast.com/t/B1p3DoeMzpp) or from Tools > Bible Study > Exegetical Guide (http://screencast.com/t/sw9FdPAq).

6. Michael King says:

This is what I have been wanting to do all along.

7. Ken Shawver says:

Phil as always providing a gem. I was just going over this to discuss a passage with a friend of mine and this will be extremely helpful.

8. Brian Davidson says:

Phil,
    One problem:
    When I scroll from one chapter to the next in my linked bible (i.e scroll from Galatians 3:19 to 4:3), I find the exegetical guide doing a long report for all of the next chapter.
    But when I scroll from one chapter to the previous chapter this doesn’t happen. I assume the deal is that when one scrolls to the next chapter the message in the go-box, at least for a second, reads, “Galatians 4″. Whereas one doesn’t have this problem when scrolling from Galatians 4 back into 3.
    This isn’t the end of the world, it’s just a little annoying and I am wondering if there is anything that can be done so that the exegetical guide only reports verse-by-verse when linked to a bible.
    thanks

9. This is a cool tip! And, I also really like the Bible giveaway contest!

10. Phil Gons says:

Hmm. I’m not able to reproduce this with the ESV. What version are you using?
    One possible workaround is when you’re getting near the end of the chapter, use the “Next” button (i.e., the down arrow icon) and set it to “Bible Verse” instead of scrolling across the chapter boundary.

11. Excellent post. How exciting!!!
    Nancy J Locke

12. Brian Davidson says:

Phil,
    Im using the NA27w/Apparatus that comes with SESB. Even when I use the “Next” button set to “verse” I have the same problem. as soom as i move from Gal 5 into 6 it runs a report on all of 6.
    Even using the next-set-to-verse button it still pauses at the beginning of the chapter and says “Galatians 6″. I don’t understand why this would cause a chapter-wide report even when I dont stop scrolling until, for instance, verse 3.

13. Philana Crouch says:

One thing I do is my main passage exegetical guide. Then I have a separate guide which I link to my Bible, that way I have my main one, but if I need to look up other passages I can also use the exegetical guide.

14. Phil Gons says:

Brian, I see what you’re saying now. Let me check into that.