Copying Bible Text without Footnotes

Most Bible translations have a variety of footnotes throughout the text, giving you instant access to cross references, alternate translations, text-critical notes, and more. These notes are helpful when studying the Bible on your computer, but you may not need them when you copy the text into a sermon or paper.

A fairly common question we hear from new users is how to copy text from a Bible without including the internal footnotes. Let’s take Romans 12:1–2 in the ESV, for example.

You’ll notice 10 notes in these two verses. The superscript letters are for cross references, and the superscript numbers are for alternate translations, comments on manuscripts, etc. Sometimes you may want to include these when copying and pasting, but often you want just the bare Bible text.

There are three ways to accomplish this.

Method 1: Switch to “Bible Text Only” Viewing Mode.

With your Bible open and active, go to the View menu and select “Bible Text Only.” This will strip out all footnotes and allow you to copy only the text with chapter and verse numbers. The downside to this method is that you lose the paragraphing; each verse is formatted as its own paragraph.

Method 2: Uncheck “Include Footnotes When Copying.”

Another option is to go to Tools > Options > General > Interface and uncheck the box “Include Footnotes When Copying.” This will tell Libronix to skip any internal footnotes when copying text from your resources. Formatting and paragraphing will be preserved, but the potential downside to this method is that it applies to all resources and not just Bibles. So if you like having footnotes appear when you copy text from a commentary, for example, then you’ll want to try the next method.

Method 3: Use the “Copy Bible Verses” Tool.

This final method is far and away the best. If you’ve paid careful attention to the icons in your system tray (which is usually in the lower right corner of your screen next to the time), you’ve probably noticed that Libronix adds three icons when it’s open. The black one that looks like a Bible is the Copy Bible Verses tool.

There are two ways to use this powerful tool. You can double-click on the icon in your system tray, type in a passage, and click “Copy” (or “Copy and Paste” to send it directly to your open Word document, for example). Or you can highlight the text you want to copy and select “Copy Romans 12:1-2 to Clipboard” (instead of selecting “Copy” or using Ctrl+c).

One of the cool features of the Copy Bible Verses tool is that you can create as many different styles as you want—one for your sermons, another for your blog posts, another for papers, etc. For additional help creating styles, see the training article “Copy Text without Footnotes and Citations.”

If you copy Bible text frequently, you’ll quickly come to love this very handy little tool. It’s not hard to see why this is some users’ favorite feature.

13 Responses to “Copying Bible Text without Footnotes”

1. Jonely June 25, 2009 at 6:11 am #

I’m curious…Under Method 3, what are the three icons that appear on starting Libronix? I get only two, Copy Bible Verses, and Dictionary Lookup. What’s the third?

2. Chris Roberts June 25, 2009 at 6:46 am #

Copy Bible verse tool is my favorite method. I wouldn’t call it my favorite feature of Logos, but it’s very useful. Time to see it in the Mac version? :)

3. Bradley Grainger June 25, 2009 at 7:24 am #

The “Copy” command (on the context menu) copies exactly what is selected, but the “Copy Book 2:3 to Clipboard” command automatically expands to the full verses that include any part of the selection. So you don’t have to carefully select exactly the text you want; in fact, you can copy a single verse simply by right-clicking any word in it.

4. Jason Kuo June 25, 2009 at 8:54 am #

Ditto – I really benefited from the Copy Bible Verses tool in Windows and would love it on the Mac.

5. Scot Tomlinson June 25, 2009 at 4:42 pm #

The third icon is a keyboard selector, I believe.

6. Phil Gons June 25, 2009 at 10:54 pm #

Scot is correct. The third icon I was referring to was the keyboard selector that let’s you switch between English, Greek, and Hebrew input. You may have turned this off (as I do) if you use Windows’ built-in language support.

7. Phil Gons June 25, 2009 at 10:56 pm #

Thanks for the helpful clarification, Bradley.

8. Rick Ianniello June 26, 2009 at 9:31 am #

I liked method 3 when I had Windows. Now with a Mac, I do not see either 2 or 3 as options. Can you help?

9. Dion Manly June 27, 2009 at 9:24 am #

I see option 2 in the Mac version under “Appearance,” but it doesn’t seem to work. I unchecked the box, and when I copy text and paste it in text edit, the footnotes still get pasted. I even tried quitting and restarting Logos, but the same thing still happens. Any suggestions?

10. Phil Gons June 27, 2009 at 11:55 am #

This is a known bug that should be fixed in the next build.

11. Rick Ianniello July 30, 2009 at 7:22 am #

Looks like method 2 is fixed. Would it be too wishful to ask for the copy bible verse tool (or something similar)? S

12. Russ Troester September 25, 2009 at 8:28 am #

I’m just chiming in to say that I agree: a “Copy Bible Verse” Tool would be an awesome addition to the Mac version of Libronix.

13. Greg Kedrovsky October 31, 2009 at 5:04 am #

I wonder if I could ask a question about the Copy Verse function in Libronix…
    I set up a custom style for copying over verses without any formatting, citations, etc. However, they still come over into my word processor with one blank line inserted after them. I would like to be able to copy them in without that extra blank line (it is as if the copy-paste comes with a “hard return” inserted after the verse).
    Is this possible?